SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > burda sleeve pattern markings ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
burda sleeve pattern markings
confusing....
rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/28/14 7:06 PM

Until now I've mainly sewn Vogue and simplicity patterns, with a few Kwik sew ones thrown in too. I've made enough patterns up that I can usually cast my eye over the pattern pieces and figure out how things match up.

I have decided to take on more Burda patterns as I like some of their vintage reproductions. To date I have made very few burda patterns. Certainly not any with sleeves.

This is where I get confused. I get the small little lines which are the replacement for notches. I do not get the lack of tailor tacks on the upper front and back shoulder to insert the sleeve head!

Surely this helps line everything up? I am lucky, having made a number of dresses with sleeves already, to know where the ease should be gathered over. I pity a poor beginner trying to work things out. All it says is to match the side seam with the sleeve seam, and two notches (top and one one side). Then gather.

In contrast to Vogue or simplicity, which is 2 notches, three tailor tacks AND a side seam. Or does Burda work for people and I'm being picky?

michelle_01
star
michelle_01
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 3/23/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/28/14 7:20 PM

Its a little different and was confusing to me at first too but I haven't had any problems. In fact I've had better results with Burda patterns in general over the Big 4. I think the notch that's missing is the back notch from the sleeve to line up with the notch on the back bodice. Sometimes, on patterns, I've spread the ease out past that notch anyway, so I don't think its too big of a deal. Also, you can always just add one by walking your sleeve pattern against the back bodice when your doing your tracing.

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/28/14 8:07 PM

They don't give an excess of information, but there is enough to insert your sleeve. The shoulder notch aligns to the shoulder seam. The side seam aligns to the underarm seam (most of the time! I have made some Burda patterns where the underarm seam is offset). The remaining notch allows you to easily tell the front of the sleevecap from the back.

The rest is up to you, the seamstress.

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

ASiverson
star
ASiverson  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/31/11
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 9:41 AM

Let us all know how you make out. Burda patterns are supposed to be the next step up, or so I see it.

------
Annette

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 10:02 AM

It's funny to me the amount of people who LEARNED to sew using Burda patterns! cripes! LOL!

I've sewn two envelope patterns and have wanted to rip my hair out. I just traced and sewed (just needs hemming) my first magazine pattern.

Also, I never use the tailor tack markings on sleeves. :-O

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/30/14 3:29 AM

well, the good news is both sleeves have now been inserted and they fit ok. Not convinced they are an easy method for beginners though. You might get more confused about where to adjust the gathering for the ease in the sleeve cap.

I know now from practice, but I think I would have struggled with Burda more in the past. I must say I'm glad I've waited until now to tackle their patterns! I have enough self made problems with sewing, than voluntarily adding more...

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 1/30/14 9:29 AM

Quote: rmusic1
I have enough self made problems with sewing, than voluntarily adding more...

Yes! :)

Glad it went okay for you!

------
Nakisha

Ineedaname
Ineedaname
Member since 7/21/11
Send Message

Date: 1/30/14 11:55 AM

I've been looking at some of the Burda patterns and would love to tackle one, but not yet confident enough to do it. I wish I had a sewing buddy to stand next to me and give me encouragement.

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to Ineedaname <<

Date: 1/30/14 12:35 PM

I think you should go for it!

------
Nakisha

Ms. McCall
star
Ms. McCall  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/2/06
Send Message

Date: 2/3/14 8:19 PM

Do you think that the Burda sleeve has less ease in the cap to be eased in? I find the ease in Big 4 sleeves really excessive usually.

------
BrownPaperPattern.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> burda sleeve pattern markings

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Burda 7811

photo
by: QuiltSewSe...

Review
You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Pants Fitting DVD

Pants Fitting DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.