SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What are your favorite seam finishes? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What are your favorite seam finishes?
Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 2:58 AM

Please tell me your go to seam finishes for the following fabrics:

sheers
slippery silkies
knits
wovens
lame (I like it I cant help it)

Thank you. Looking forward to reading your posts.

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/29/14 5:21 AM

For sheers and other lightweight fabrics I like to do French seams. Knits I generally use my overlocker to sew them, so the construction and seam finishing is all done in one. With wovens it depends on what I am making, the fabric and how visible the seam is going to be. The seam finish I think is prettiest but which is also quite time consuming is Hong Kong seam finishing. I've done that on some unlined jackets and I love how it looks when it's done.
-- Edited on 1/29/14 5:26 AM --

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/29/14 9:57 AM

I haven't sewn with sheer fabrics or much with slippery fabrics. For very lightweight wovens I use French seams and imagine I'd do so for a sheer/slippery fabric.

For knits, I too construct completely on my serger except for hems.

Wovens. Serger. I did make a skirt out of moleskin that I finished with bias tape. Took forever but it is SO fun to peek inside the (navy) skirt and see hot pink! :)

I've never sewn with lame :)

I'm not a purist. Serger. Serger. Serger as much as I can use it! LOL!!!

But when I made my most recent jacket I left all of the seam allowances at 5/8" and pressed open for example...no finishes at all.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Levone
star
Levone  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/10/03
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 11:16 AM

I've really only sewn with knits mainly and mid to heavy weight wovens. Maybe a few silky type wovens a long time ago.
Anyhow, I've only finished with my serger (or zigzag or pinking shears years ago before I got my serger). I'm lazy, LOL.

However, I do plan to experiment more with different seam finishes, that's one of my goals for the year. I'm thinking of trying out Hong Kong finishing on a unlined jacket I have in the queue. I think it looks really nice on some jackets that I have seen.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 1:32 PM

I use French seams with most things, especially sheers or anything that frays a lot. I also use them on things that will see a lot of washing even if they're a tad bulky, like my kids pjs and play clothes. I also like to use flat-felled seams on casual stuff that sees a lot of wear. I also bind seams or use a Hong Kong finish on bulky, unlined stuff like jackets.

I don't work with knits, though I'm planning to change that this year.

------
Melanie

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

In reply to westmoon <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/29/14 3:04 PM

Quote: westmoon
For sheers and other lightweight fabrics I like to do French seams. Knits I generally use my overlocker to sew them, so the construction and seam finishing is all done in one. With wovens it depends on what I am making, the fabric and how visible the seam is going to be. The seam finish I think is prettiest but which is also quite time consuming is Hong Kong seam finishing. I've done that on some unlined jackets and I love how it looks when it's done.
-- Edited on 1/29/14 5:26 AM --

I pretty much do exactly these techniques, with the addition of pinked or serged seams for wovens that are going to be lined. I just re-discovered the joys of using pinked shears when I finally got a pair that didn't hurt my hand, and now I am using them whenever it's appropriate for the fabric.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 1/29/14 3:28 PM

Please tell me what brand of pinking shears it is that you bought.

How did the other one hurt your hand?

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/29/14 3:31 PM

I like hug snug seam binding for woven fabrics when I'm omitting a lining and I want the inside to look nicer than a serger can accomplish. Wawak sells it for a very reasonable price (I'm not affiliated with Wawak, I just buy a lot of things from them)

hug snug at wawak

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

minggiddylooloo
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<

Date: 1/29/14 3:42 PM

Dana-

My first pair of pinking shears were all metal Ginghers. I have very small hands (I wear ski gloves fit for 5 to 7 year olds!! LOL!), and the metal handles on that pair always dug into the metacarpal bone on my thumb. I didn't use those scissors for a very long time. When I saw Kai pinking shears on sale from Wawak, I bought a pair. The plastic grip on my Kais are a much better fit on my hands. They're also lighter. I have other Kai shears in my notions collections and overall prefer that brand over my Ginghers.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

minggiddylooloo
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<

Date: 1/29/14 3:43 PM

I forgot about rayon seam binding, yes, this is also another favorite technique of mine! Don't worry, you're not the only Wawak addict on these boards.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What are your favorite seam finishes?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Deer&Doe Blouse Airelle

photo
by: bimbleandp...

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1329

photo
by: Erica B.

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.