SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > well digitized ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
well digitized
What does "well digitized" mean and how to tell if it is
Millimous
Millimous  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 12/13/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/30/14 12:59 PM

I 've been reading little articles about machine embroidery and one phrase keeps popping up :"if the design is well digitized" you can blah blah blah with the design. Since I don't digitize designs myself, just buy ones I resize as little as possible, I am not certain what it exactly means.

How do I tell whether I have the wrong stabilizer/fabric/needle/thread combination or whether the design was badly put together? I know that there are "treied and true companies (John Deere, Oesd, Dakota etc) but there are so many small company digitizers!
Do I just buy a design and hope for the best?

------
Carol
Bernina 580, APQS Millennium long arm quilting machine, Phluffy my Pfaff Creative Sensation, Elna 745 overlock,

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 1/30/14 1:40 PM

To me good digitizing means that the design will stitch out easily and as it is supposed to appear. There is a whole lot that goes into that, and it can be very had to tell if a design is well digitized when you purchase it. You really need to see a x-ray view or a simulated stitch out to tell much about quality.

The best thing to do, short of learning to digitize yourself, is to buy your designs where you have had good luck before, or have heard good things about.

Poor digitizing and lack of interesting, and unique, designs drove me to learn to digitize. Once I did, I gained a lot of appreciation for good designs, and some real contempt for poor ones.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/30/14 6:57 PM

For me a well digitized design means minimal jump stitches, the underlapping stitches are erased, and the color changes are logical and there is nice fill in.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to Millimous <<

Date: 1/30/14 7:44 PM

Some digitizers never try out embroidery designs they digitize.They have expensive equipment and think it's good enough.Not !

Different sites don't have just one digitizer either.I had more than just one design I bought from well know places over the years that were not well digitized.They looked good on my screen.I had nothing but problems with them near the end.I was told to use better stabilizer,or get my machine serviced.Funny thing is,when I stitched out other designs in my PC,I had no problems.

I could tell there was something wrong with certain designs,because I had to keep changing the thread tension after a couple of stitches and a few more times,even in the middle of stitching.Something I never do with well digitized designs,the tension stays the same from start to finish.It's frustrating to always have to stitch out a full test design.It shouldn't be necessary when we pay money for embroidery designs.

Before I buy another embroider design,I try out more than one of their freebie designs.If the freebies are not good,I'm not buying from that site ! If a site has no freebies I don't buy designs there either.

Some digitizers admit that a design hasn't been tested yet.Others ask customers to post photos of stitched designs.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/31/14 8:19 AM

Aha! This is a question I always wondered about.
I generally hooped one piece of thick cut away and stitched it out. If it worked I figured that I had bought a good design. Now I have a better idea of what to look for during stitch out.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

biochemistress

biochemistress  Friend of PR
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/31/14 9:49 AM

If they have a free design available, try it out. Hopefully that's a sign whether the rest of the designs are decent.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/31/14 10:16 AM

You really don't know until you have actually done a test stitch-out....time, stabilizer and thread is well worth not ruining your intended project. I keep a towel, t-shirt and other scraps just for this.

Embroidery Library has a great variety, of designs but I always have to enlarge them just a tiny amount (just the size and not the stitch count) as, for my preference, they are just too dense.

I don't think you can always trust reviews posted on the site where the embroideries are sold.

For the most part, be wary of sites with RU in the site address. Many of their designs are counterfeit.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 1/31/14 10:26 AM

I think density is a real problem with some designs. Some of this may be due to the digitizer not understanding what different machines will work well with.

Most of the stuff I do now is intended for a multi-needle machine that can handle a good deal of density. I always thought if I ever started selling embroidery designs it would be good to invest in the most inexpensive single needle machine to test out the designs. And maybe offer a couple of versions of a design with varying density.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 1/31/14 12:30 PM

In addition to excessive density, if the design does not make good use of underlayment and pull compensation, the stitch out can have gaps between design segments that are supposed to be adjacent.

To tell if it's badly digitized or just under-stabilized, do a test stitch-out on a really stable fabric with cut-away If it doesn't sew that task well, then there's nothing to save it.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Millimous
Millimous  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 12/13/12
Send Message

Date: 2/1/14 5:55 PM

It's beginning to sound as if one just has to buy and try. I hope I don't waste too much money in buying designs! Right now, I try never to buy at full price and i guess it should remain that way until I really trust the digitizer! Does anyone have Digitizers that have reasonable prices? Goodness! Floriani ones cost a whole lot! I will slightly increase the size of the Embroidery Library ones. Maybe that is what I needed to do on the Christmas ones I did. The needles sounded as if it was working pretty hard to punch through some areas!

Do we have a list of sites and general fixes the designs need like " you might have to increase size a little for Embroidery Library" or "Oesd designs need such and such?" or is that way too complicated a list to start on this site? What do you all think about starting a topic like "Hints and tips for using such and such company or Designer's embroidery designs" ?

------
Carol
Bernina 580, APQS Millennium long arm quilting machine, Phluffy my Pfaff Creative Sensation, Elna 745 overlock,

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> well digitized

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable Sarah Hat

photo
by: olgarosita

Review
Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.