SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > New Look 6150 - Step 4 Confusion ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New Look 6150 - Step 4 Confusion
Pattern Assistance
Tonya P
star
Tonya P  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/6/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 2/2/14 10:20 AM

I am sewing New Look 6150 (version B) and can't figure out step 4 - collar/pleats. Some of the reviews mention confusion on this step but I don't see any further explanation. The illustration appears to have the shoulder seams parallel to the back neck seam? Ack! Any assistance would be appreciated.

------
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/2/14 1:20 PM

Bumping this ... I'll try to check back later; I think I have this pattern in stash.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Tonya P <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/2/14 2:27 PM

Looks like it's gathered. You should
Have some placement notices where
You should gather. Then sew front and
Back seams together. Hope this helps

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/2/14 8:18 PM

Can't find pattern...maybe I thought about and didn't one too many times. That happens sometimes...

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

KimG
star
KimG  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/3/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to Tonya P <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/2/14 10:53 PM

No, it's not gathered. The collar has a kind of ''internal'' tuck that opens up to form the pleat down the front. If I remember correctly, there are two stitching lines that are essentially parallel to the upper collar edge. After you sew the CB collar seam, bring those two lines together, right sides together, and sew along the line from one side of the neck to the other--I think the line ends slightly forward of the shoulder seams. Then, flip the raw edge of the collar inside, hide the tuck you just formed, and attach the edge at the back neck seam. I think the pattern calls for folding the raw edge under and slip-stitching, but I just line the collar seam up with the neck seam and stitch in the ditch from the outside. Try pinning it first--I think it will help you see how it all fits together.

And as far as the neck/shoulder seams go, they aren't exactly parallel, but I can visualize how it might look that way in a drawing. You can sew one shoulder seam up to the neck, pivot at the dot and sew around the neck, pivot again and sew the other shoulder. In order to do this, you'll need to clip the inside corners at the neck/collar intersection on the front pieces.

Hope this makes some sense.

Tonya P
star
Tonya P  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/6/13
online now
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews <<

Date: 2/4/14 9:38 AM

Thanks fort checking EleanorSews!

------
― Mahatma Gandhi

Tonya P
star
Tonya P  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/6/13
online now
Send Message

In reply to KimG <<

Date: 2/4/14 9:57 AM

Thanks KimG! I am going to read this over while I tackle it again this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. As I recall the instructions do call for stitching in the ditch. I'll give it a go.

------
― Mahatma Gandhi

Tonya P
star
Tonya P  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/6/13
online now
Send Message

In reply to skae <<

Date: 2/4/14 10:03 AM

Thanks for the help, skae! Unfortunately, it's nothing so easy as gathering. It's a weird pleat, pivot, and tuck that has shown a spotlight on the fact that I'm more beginner than advanced beginner. Thanks though for making the effort. It is much appreciated.

------
― Mahatma Gandhi

KimG
star
KimG  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/3/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to Tonya P <<

Date: 2/5/14 11:22 AM

Tonya, I hope you haven't tried to follow my instructions yet because my memory (has yet again) failed me. I wore one of my tops yesterday and realized my comments were wrong, so I dug out the instructions and I'll try again.

First you sew the shoulder seams (which are gathered), stopping at the dots at the neck edge. This would be at the intersection of the neckline seam that you have yet to sew.

Second, I'd match the collar CB and notches to the neckline.

Third, fold out the pleats on the fronts by matching the lines on the pattern. They should line up with the neckline/shoulder intersection and continue down the front a bit. The fold of the pleats should blend right in to the raw edges of the back neckline, and the depth of the pleats should be 5/8 inch.

Fourth, sew the seam. You can do it all at once (end of pleat to shoulder, across the back neck, and down to the end of the other pleat) as illustrated on the instructions, or in sections. You don't need to pivot.

Finally, fold the collar over and attach it to the back neckline seam. Every time I've made this top, I've skipped the narrow hem on the edge, because with a knit you generally don't need it, and I just thought it would add bulk.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry to have misled you.

Kim

Tonya P
star
Tonya P  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/6/13
online now
Send Message

In reply to KimG <<

Date: 2/5/14 4:40 PM

No need to apologize KimG. I am grateful for your assistance. I haven't gotten around to anything yet so it's all good. I don't have the project in front of me right now, but I am visualizing your steps and they are making more sense than the pattern instructions. Probably make more sense when I have it in front of me. :-) I was planning on skipping the narrow hem on the edge as well. It just seems it would create a visible line that would be unflattering. It probably wouldn't be terribly noticeable on my particular fabric choice, but I'll skip it anyway. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

------
― Mahatma Gandhi

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> New Look 6150 - Step 4 Confusion

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Vogue Patterns 9475 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things A Wallet Purse Pattern

Favorite Things A Wallet Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.