SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > I have a serger, now what? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I have a serger, now what?
project ideas
kearnshippy
kearnshippy
Member since 5/22/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/4/14 9:44 PM

Last year I inherited a Babylock Proline BL450 serger. I've had it serviced, figured out how to thread it, played with some scrap fabric and am ready to go. But, I have no idea what to make. I used a serger once in middle school several years ago for a basic home ec project, but haven't touched one since.

Here's a little background. I have sewn both clothes and baby quilts. I've learned how to sew by reading articles and posts here, watching youtube, taking a block of the month class, and through trial and error. My seam ripper and I are best buds!But I am now to the point where I feel confident in my sewing abilities.

So, any suggestions for a beginning project to get acquainted with my serger?

Gay
Gay  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 3/14/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/4/14 10:39 PM

Hi there,
Aside from finishing seam allowances in unlined projects sewn with wovens, it's fun and easy to make knit garments. I like Kwik Sew 3115 for yoga pants, and Kwik Sew 3915 for a versatile knit top. Construct these with a 3 or 4 thread overlock stitch.

I like using the 2 thread flat lock stitch on the sleeve seams of a raglan sleeve top. Sew it so that the looper thread shows on the outside and the 'ladder' of needle thread is on the inside. I have an old raglan top pattern that I like, but Kwik Sew 2874 looks like a good one.

I sound like I'm plugging Kwik Sew patterns, but if you haven't tried them, I think you'll like them.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/5/14 6:52 AM

Pick up the book Ready, Set Serge by Georgie Merlot. It packed full of patterns and instructions.
Meanwhile use your garment scraps to practice on.
I used to save all my fabric after cutting out tops and pants when I first got my serger. Its a wonderful way to learn the settings for different fabric content and to practice inside and out corners and curves.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

ASiverson
star
ASiverson  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/31/11
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 9:06 AM

I purchased my serger a few years ago and don't use it as much as I like or should! However, try here a class or two with Jennifer Stern She is a great instructor, great class(es), and here on PR you can't go wrong with pricing. Good luck, and don't be afraid of your serger! (I was!).

------
Annette

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 2/5/14 6:22 PM

Sandi, thanks for that recommendation! I got a serger almost 3 years ago and have hardly ever used it (one knit top, one rolled hem, one overlocked edge on needlework linen). I've played with it a lot but really struggle with fitting it into my regular sewing life. It always seems easier to just do anything by hand or on the regular machine instead of figuring out how to do it on the serger. Our library has a copy of Ready Set Serge, and I've placed a hold on it. Looking forward to trying some of the projects.
-- Edited on 2/5/14 6:22 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

Red Dragon
star
Red Dragon
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 2/4/08
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 9:12 PM

One of the best things I found was to get out the manual (or contact the company for a copy) and go through all the different stitiches on some scraps just so you get an idea of what it can do, what it looks like, and how to thread it differently for each one. If you can, do a class, it is amazing how much help it is having someone show you it all and explain what you can use some of the stitches for. Craftsy has a basic serger class that you might want to have a look at, but I haven't taken it, so can't comment.
I use mine for most seam finishes, unless it will add bulk.

------
Tracy, Canberra

Janome 7700QCP, Janome 4618QC, Husky S25 overlock/coverstitch

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 9:52 PM

When I got my first serger many years ago, I expanded the types of fabrics I sewed with. I started using more linen, rayon, denim and flannel, fabrics they raveled and frayed. To this day I use it more for wovens than knits. Knits don't ravel or have messy seam allowances like wovens do.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 5:18 AM

Another thing I use mine for is the raw cut edge if stash fabrics. When I get a cut home, I serge both raw cut edges and toss it in the washer. It keeps it from tangling into a horrible thread mess and reminds me that I have prewashed it.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

sacjeanie
sacjeanie  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/1/13
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 10:19 AM

Sew so Easy - Free Leggings Pattern

This is the first thing I'd try. You could use the insides of printer paper grocery bags to make your pattern. It is very easy and satisfying to whip these up with a serger.

Watch the video on how to take the measurements. Have fun!

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 11:30 AM

Although you asked about projects, I will add to the suggestions to take a class. Last summer I took a 2-day serger workbook class at a local dealer because I wasn't using mine much and really wanted to gain confidence and ideas on greater utility. The class cost just $75 and was awesome! I came away with a binder full of samples and instruction sheets which I pull out and refer to regularly. Definitely amped up my serger use...finally feel like I'm getting what I paid for! One more thing...I learned in class that a clear foot was available for my BL Imagine and I bought it that day (with a nice discount for being in the class). What a difference that clear foot has made!
-- Edited on 2/7/14 9:08 AM --

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> I have a serger, now what?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 2148

photo
by: sfshaza

Review
McCall's 6396

photo
by: Bettnadi16...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.