SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Newbie Question about quilting fabrics... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Newbie Question about quilting fabrics...
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 8:46 PM

Ok. So someone enlighten me.

Tell me how a company like Moda does things (as a rule)...

I have been shopping for fabrics that would be fun to work with... and the "S'more Love" fabric from Moda is right up my alley. Seems it came out in August '13 by what I've caught through osmosis on the web.

So what *is* the story?!?!?! It's already difficult to find some of the colors.

So do companies just make a run of this sort of thing, and when it's done, it's done?

Now I fully understand why some of you have the stash piles you've accumulated... the stuff goes scarce in less than 6 months after release?

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Unashamed of being a self confessed tool junkie! Currently love my: Bernina 550qe, ElnaPress & Oliso Iron - crazy thing but I love it! ...and a fleet of Macs, iPads, iPhones.

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Bernina 880 Sterling Edition
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/1/06
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 8:53 PM

If you see a fabric you like from Moda, grab it. They pretty much manufacturer to their presales and don't over produce. This is true of collections from designers. They do have some basics they will restock such as their Bella Solids, Grunge basics and Half Moon dots and zig zags.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to Jacqui315 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/5/14 8:55 PM

Quote: Jacqui315
If you see a fabric you like from Moda, grab it. They pretty much manufacturer to their presales and don't over produce. This is true of collections from designers. They do have some basics they will restock such as their Bella Solids, Grunge basics and Half Moon dots and zig zags.

I can see where this gets out of hand - rather quickly!

------

Unashamed of being a self confessed tool junkie! Currently love my: Bernina 550qe, ElnaPress & Oliso Iron - crazy thing but I love it! ...and a fleet of Macs, iPads, iPhones.

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

crs37
crs37  Friend of PR
Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 4/29/08
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 9:02 PM

It looks like fat quarter shop has many of the fabrics from that line available. Good luck, I bet that will be a really cute quilt.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 9:10 PM

I'm trying to figure out what to use for the back.... gotta get some yardage of some of it from *somewhere*! lol

------

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 2/5/14 10:39 PM

Fabric is like books, it goes out of print. Some lines seem to stay in print longer than others, but when they are finally done however much fabric remains in print is all that is left.

------
Barb

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 11:00 PM

Thanks for starting this topic. I'm lost in the quilting fabric maze right now, too. My new-to-me guild requires Quilt Shop Quality fabric. I could understand when I simply had a list of manufacturers that are 'approved', but now they're saying some of the Kona and Moda that shows up outside of true quilt shops (in JoAnn's and the national Hancock's chain) is somehow lesser quality than that in the quilting-only stores.

The cynic in me is keeping her mouth shut but raising her eyebrows.

I look forward to reading everyone's answers.

RipStitcher, I *really* do not need more reasons to make my stash bigger! Those batiks just leap onto me and follow me home!

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 23

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to LisaInAlabama <<

Date: 2/5/14 11:31 PM

Hey Lisa....

I'm soooooo *with* you!

I consider myself a pretty good sewist.. but this quilting thing is kinda new to me. I'm not overly enthusiastic about it - like some are around here! lol

I do have some things drawn up of my own that I want to do someday... but I really just want to do a few patterns from others, first. I had something in my head kinda like Gypsy Wife when I found it... I was looking at doing blocks of some things that are personal to me... with lots of strips around them and having it weighted more heavy on one end... so the Gypsy Wife one was love at first sight when I found it. I thought it would be fun to mess with while my own drawings have more time to come together.

(If you haven't read it on here by now.. remember... I'm the resident putzer/process junkie - I don't really care if my projects ever get done! lol)

I've never heard that there is some Moda in the "fringe" market out there that was unacceptable quality!

Some stuff just doesn't even feel right.. the weave isn't tight enough (not as many threads per inch) and you can tell it when you feel it.

I'm anxious to see if someone jumps in here to say that we have to even be careful where we buy brands like Moda. That would be a shocker to me.

------

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/5/14 11:37 PM

Once you see it in a quilting magazine, it is no longer available unless it is being offered as a kit.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 0:00 AM

Quote: RipStitcher
I'm soooooo *with* you!
. .
I do have some things drawn up of my own that I want to do someday... but I really just want to do a few patterns from others, first. I had something in my head kinda like Gypsy Wife when I found it... I was looking at doing blocks of some things that are personal to me... with lots of strips around them and having it weighted more heavy on one end... so the Gypsy Wife one was love at first sight when I found it. I thought it would be fun to mess with while my own drawings have more time to come together.

(If you haven't read it on here by now.. remember... I'm the resident putzer/process junkie - I don't really care if my projects ever get done! lol)
. . .
Some stuff just doesn't even feel right.. the weave isn't tight enough (not as many threads per inch) and you can tell it when you feel it.

I think I'm gonna follow you around and be your side-kick!

I am impressed that you're more about the designs in your head than about patterns. I think the design phase is the most exciting, and I'm a process junkie, too. I tend to repeat something until I get the process figured out good enough to write it down, then I'm bored with it.

I also like that you want to use things that have meaning to you. I started learning to sew at 7 at my grandmother's house. She taught me to quilt, and the coolest thing for me is to see her house dress or my sister's pajamas cut up as pieces in the quilts I inherited.
My Grandmother's Quilts

My grandmother used whatever fabric she had, and since she didn't have much money, I'm sure most of it wouldn't be appropriate at my guild.

I look forward to hearing about your Gypsy Wife process and seeing the things you put together as you go along! But I'm even more excited about seeing what you put together out of your head!

I don't have much confidence in my judgment of fabric, but I've always gone on how it feels, too. But in the last month, I've placed 3 orders online (my first experience with that). Since I stuck to the brands the guild recommended, they were all good fabric, but I didn't judge the colors or patterns well enough, in my opinion.

But since the design phase is my favorite part, I'm more picky about colors and patterns than some of the folks in my guild seem to be. My OCD was driven nuts when we did a group cut-n-sew for a Quilt of Valor last weekend. I can't yet deal with taking blocks made by multiple people with multiple color/fabric choices and put it in a single quilt.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 23

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Newbie Question about quilting fabrics...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Butterick 5490

photo
by: sewdc

Review
Vogue Patterns 1027

photo
by: twilltape

Review
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

More Info
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.