Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > Newbie Question about quilting fabrics... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Newbie Question about quilting fabrics...
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/5/14 8:46 PM

Ok. So someone enlighten me.

Tell me how a company like Moda does things (as a rule)...

I have been shopping for fabrics that would be fun to work with... and the "S'more Love" fabric from Moda is right up my alley. Seems it came out in August '13 by what I've caught through osmosis on the web.

So what *is* the story?!?!?! It's already difficult to find some of the colors.

So do companies just make a run of this sort of thing, and when it's done, it's done?

Now I fully understand why some of you have the stash piles you've accumulated... the stuff goes scarce in less than 6 months after release?

------
My projects (and life and times!) are on www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger
APQS George ... oh heck... go Millie!

2014: Sold the 7700 to make room for a 5.5mm machine alongside side my Ellie.
2013: Wow.. no real new toys - too much family drama!!!!
2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold
1970's: Elna SU62 & ElnaPress

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/1/06

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 2/5/14 8:53 PM

If you see a fabric you like from Moda, grab it. They pretty much manufacturer to their presales and don't over produce. This is true of collections from designers. They do have some basics they will restock such as their Bella Solids, Grunge basics and Half Moon dots and zig zags.

------
http://sweetnotions.blogspot.com/

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

In reply to Jacqui315 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/5/14 8:55 PM

Quote: Jacqui315
If you see a fabric you like from Moda, grab it. They pretty much manufacturer to their presales and don't over produce. This is true of collections from designers. They do have some basics they will restock such as their Bella Solids, Grunge basics and Half Moon dots and zig zags.

I can see where this gets out of hand - rather quickly!

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold

crs37
crs37  Friend of PR
Beginner
KS USA
Member since 4/29/08

Date: 2/5/14 9:02 PM

It looks like fat quarter shop has many of the fabrics from that line available. Good luck, I bet that will be a really cute quilt.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

Date: 2/5/14 9:10 PM

I'm trying to figure out what to use for the back.... gotta get some yardage of some of it from *somewhere*! lol

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 2/5/14 10:39 PM

Fabric is like books, it goes out of print. Some lines seem to stay in print longer than others, but when they are finally done however much fabric remains in print is all that is left.

------
Barb

LisaInAlabama
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13

Date: 2/5/14 11:00 PM

Thanks for starting this topic. I'm lost in the quilting fabric maze right now, too. My new-to-me guild requires Quilt Shop Quality fabric. I could understand when I simply had a list of manufacturers that are 'approved', but now they're saying some of the Kona and Moda that shows up outside of true quilt shops (in JoAnn's and the national Hancock's chain) is somehow lesser quality than that in the quilting-only stores.

The cynic in me is keeping her mouth shut but raising her eyebrows.

I look forward to reading everyone's answers.

RipStitcher, I *really* do not need more reasons to make my stash bigger! Those batiks just leap onto me and follow me home!

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

In reply to LisaInAlabama <<

Date: 2/5/14 11:31 PM

Hey Lisa....

I'm soooooo *with* you!

I consider myself a pretty good sewist.. but this quilting thing is kinda new to me. I'm not overly enthusiastic about it - like some are around here! lol

I do have some things drawn up of my own that I want to do someday... but I really just want to do a few patterns from others, first. I had something in my head kinda like Gypsy Wife when I found it... I was looking at doing blocks of some things that are personal to me... with lots of strips around them and having it weighted more heavy on one end... so the Gypsy Wife one was love at first sight when I found it. I thought it would be fun to mess with while my own drawings have more time to come together.

(If you haven't read it on here by now.. remember... I'm the resident putzer/process junkie - I don't really care if my projects ever get done! lol)

I've never heard that there is some Moda in the "fringe" market out there that was unacceptable quality!

Some stuff just doesn't even feel right.. the weave isn't tight enough (not as many threads per inch) and you can tell it when you feel it.

I'm anxious to see if someone jumps in here to say that we have to even be careful where we buy brands like Moda. That would be a shocker to me.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 2/5/14 11:37 PM

Once you see it in a quilting magazine, it is no longer available unless it is being offered as a kit.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

LisaInAlabama
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13

In reply to RipStitcher <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 0:00 AM

Quote: RipStitcher
I'm soooooo *with* you!
. .
I do have some things drawn up of my own that I want to do someday... but I really just want to do a few patterns from others, first. I had something in my head kinda like Gypsy Wife when I found it... I was looking at doing blocks of some things that are personal to me... with lots of strips around them and having it weighted more heavy on one end... so the Gypsy Wife one was love at first sight when I found it. I thought it would be fun to mess with while my own drawings have more time to come together.

(If you haven't read it on here by now.. remember... I'm the resident putzer/process junkie - I don't really care if my projects ever get done! lol)
. . .
Some stuff just doesn't even feel right.. the weave isn't tight enough (not as many threads per inch) and you can tell it when you feel it.

I think I'm gonna follow you around and be your side-kick!

I am impressed that you're more about the designs in your head than about patterns. I think the design phase is the most exciting, and I'm a process junkie, too. I tend to repeat something until I get the process figured out good enough to write it down, then I'm bored with it.

I also like that you want to use things that have meaning to you. I started learning to sew at 7 at my grandmother's house. She taught me to quilt, and the coolest thing for me is to see her house dress or my sister's pajamas cut up as pieces in the quilts I inherited.
My Grandmother's Quilts

My grandmother used whatever fabric she had, and since she didn't have much money, I'm sure most of it wouldn't be appropriate at my guild.

I look forward to hearing about your Gypsy Wife process and seeing the things you put together as you go along! But I'm even more excited about seeing what you put together out of your head!

I don't have much confidence in my judgment of fabric, but I've always gone on how it feels, too. But in the last month, I've placed 3 orders online (my first experience with that). Since I stuck to the brands the guild recommended, they were all good fabric, but I didn't judge the colors or patterns well enough, in my opinion.

But since the design phase is my favorite part, I'm more picky about colors and patterns than some of the folks in my guild seem to be. My OCD was driven nuts when we did a group cut-n-sew for a Quilt of Valor last weekend. I can't yet deal with taking blocks made by multiple people with multiple color/fabric choices and put it in a single quilt.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Newbie Question about quilting fabrics...

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Cutting Line Designs 12269
photo
Review by Irene Q on 9/3/11
Read Review

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus D202 DVD
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Details
Price: $35.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Tommy Boxers Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Tommy Boxers Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cool Cowl Tank
Cool Cowl Tank

Details
Price: $9.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3764 Jackets
photo
Review by mhoutz on 9/1/13
Read Review

Vogue 8759 Pattern ( Size 34-36-38-40 )
Vogue 8759 Pattern ( Size 34-36-38-40 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6789 Pattern
New Look 6789 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN