SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Second embroidery machine choice/confusion ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Second embroidery machine choice/confusion
What is best to purchase keeping my left leg in tact
7sandie7
7sandie7
Advanced
USA
Member since 2/5/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/5/14 9:13 PM

I am so confused! I have owned a Viking 955e for 5 years and just lost the dongle. Now it is relatively useless without the program that transfers the patterns to my machine with a reader/writer card. I had to upgrade to a 4D for a new dongle but could not justify upgrading further on the software because I only embroider for family now. Bought the machine when my son was deployed to Afghanistan to make the men luggage tags. Now, just embroider for my granddaughter. But now, I am so frustrated and would like a newer machine that uses a regular USB to transfer designs. I have no idea what to buy. Recently read the BabyLock Spirit is great but $5,000 is just too steep! The Singer Futura Quintet all in one is $1200. But I only know what the adds tell me and of course, their own web sites make both of them look ideal. I would so appreciate any help with my second purchase. Thank you so much for this wonderful forum!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/5/14 9:46 PM

Hi there.....

If you know this group, you know that you just have to give us a budget and we can can get you into all sorts of trouble... we're here to enable you! lol

All kidding aside... what do you want out of a machine? How big of a hoop area?

You said you'd like a USB thumb drive thing to work... but could you live with a cable USB from the machine to a computer? (IF so, there are some real deals out there for rather nice machines.

And... if that Babylock was priced at that... was that the MSRP? IF so... start thinking about 30% less than that - it is the game that is played, it seems.

If it's been 5 years... and you enjoy it... you deserve to have something that will bring you joy to work on.

Looking forward to hearing more of what you're after and how much you'll [let us] spend.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

7sandie7
7sandie7
Advanced
USA
Member since 2/5/14
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 10:45 PM

Sorry,new to the site. Just joined today to reach out to the "pros" after two weeks of frustration on my own.

Budget: can I get a "good" machine for under $2,000? I paid $4K for my Viking and it was a long learning curve on my own, but now I miss it. Lost dongle now makes it useless without the ability to get the designs to the machine. Pricing a used upgrade will run $2,000. I was wondering if I can get a new machine for that kind of money.

Hoops: I have been using a 100x100, 240x150, and 150x360 hoops. I am not sure what compares with other models because this was my one and only embroidery machine. Can I maybe get a 6x6 and endless boarder ? I have no idea what my options are having such limited knowledge of machines.

Yes, I would highly consider a cable USB to the machine for embroidery. I think I will purchase the EMBRID program to work off connection. I have no idea how to work with Embrid, but have heard good things about it.

Baby lock price of $5k was from a dealer in town, not a MSRP. I had no idea about the "game". Thank you ever so much!

I SO appreciate your help!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/5/14 10:53 PM

My bad... I should have noticed you joined today!

welcome!

I hope others will chime in about pricing. I haven't shopped for 18 months.. and things change with models coming and going.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend. Do you definitely want new? Or open to buying used?

Are you more looking for a killer deal that will do the job - or are you really wanting a shiny new machine to take you through the next 5-10 years or maybe longer?

Do you want just an embroidery machine? Or would you rather get a combo that will sew, too?

I just helped a friend get a Brother 1200D off of Craigslist - we got it for $525 . It does up to a 5"x7" .. but it doesn't have a thumb drive capability - it needs a USB cable to the computer to dump designs into it. It was a combo, however. All in all, I think it was a super sweet machine for the price. (She absolutely wanted a combo machine and a 5x7 hoop - so this was the best we could do for her and keep under $1,000... and we stayed waaaaaay under $1,000. )

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/5/14 11:46 PM

The larger the embroidery area as well as unnecessary bells and whistles, the more the machine will cost.

Brother embroidery only machines use 90 weight bobbin thread and specific size bobbins. You can't just pop into JoAnn for these items.

I do not think their Babylock counterparts are this specific.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/5/14 11:51 PM

No to the Singer. It does not have the embroidery function unless it is connected to the computer and the Singer software...they just don't call this a dongel!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

CdnSkier
CdnSkier  Friend of PR
Illinois USA
Member since 3/18/09
Send Message

In reply to 7sandie7 <<

Date: 2/6/14 2:32 AM

For under $2000 (actual selling price, not MSRP) you can get a BabyLock Ellure Plus which is a combo machine like your Viking was (both sewing and embroidery). It comes with two hoops, a 5x7 (130x180) and 5x12 (130x300). The larger hoop is a multi-position, meaning you can still only embroidery within 5x7 area, but move the hoop positioning to add addtional designs w/o re-hooping. You can also split some larger designs, depending on the software you use. There are 2 additional hoops available for this machine, but sold separately - a 4x4 (100x100) and 1x2.5 (20x60). I have both and do use the 4x4 alot. Have only used the 1x2.5 twice in 4 years. It's a very easy to use machine, especially if you are already familiar with embroidery, plus you get your owner's classes and ongoing support from your dealer. It takes a USB stick to transfer designs, so no software needed. Whatever machine you purchase, check out the Designer's Gallery Embroidery Works Everyday and Advanced software for editing, resizing, etc. It's reasonably priced (relative to other editing software) and most people find it fairly easy to use.

Before you decide on any machine, check out as many as you can and get "hands on" with them. Let the dealers demo them first, then ask to actually sit down and sew/embroider so you get the feel of the machine.

------
Baby Lock Ellure Plus (BLR3), Pfaff Creative 4874 serger/coverstitch, Singer Rocketeer 500J, Singer 301A short-bed

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 4:12 AM

I dont know the price of Janome but I think BabyLock and Janome both have good no-frill machines.

I would say to get one with a USB. If you go with a direct cable you will always be stuck near your computer. And if you change or upgrade your computer then you might have to upgrade your machine software. So make your life easier with a USB.

I would also look into Embrilliance Essentials software. You can get into it for under $200 and add other modules over time. Check out their videos and see if you like it. I don't know the cost of Embrid but it might be about the same and lots of folks love it.

If you want a budget site for supplies check out Metroemb.com

Even if you can't afford the higher machines it will be educational to visit dealers and try them out. I have a friend with the BL Ellure and she likes it so it might be a good fit for you in your price range.

Welcome to PR! If you tell us where you live we might be able to recommend some good dealers.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 6:50 AM

I have had the Singer Futura Quintet for about a month now and it is a really nice machine. You do have to have your computer connected to it to use the embroidery machine, but that's not a problem for me as I keep a laptop in my sewing room. I also prefer to be working off of a full-size screen, and the update process for the software is really easy. Also, you get CD-ROMs with the software, so you can install it on any computer if you have an issue with a PC. So for me, having the PC connected is not an issue and the machine has been working great. I've been using it heavily every weekend and throughout the week (week nights) and have really been enjoying it.

Here's a pic of my setup:

sewing room setup

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

Sandygirl
Sandygirl
Intermediate
Member since 8/18/10
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 7:22 AM

Quote from RipStitcher:
"And... if that Babylock was priced at that... was that the MSRP? IF so... start thinking about 30% less than that - it is the game that is played, it seems. "

The "game" refers to negotiating your price off of the MSRP price. Ask for 30% off. Or ask the Dealer what their best price is to see if it is close to 30% off.

The first machine I purchased ... I was pretty naive that one could even negotiate the price of a sewing machine, etc. I have since learned that "cash sale" , no trade, not financing,= your best price! Cash is king!

Sandy

------
Janome-gal. 9700, 9900, 1030, 11000D (serger)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Second embroidery machine choice/confusion

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Other 1 moroccan pouf

photo
by: loti

Review
Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Buy Now
PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2010-119

photo
by: Janiki

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.