SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Baggy Butt ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Baggy Butt
StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/6/14 8:52 AM

Remember me? Last winter many of you helped me in my pants fitting and after many trials I finally had a pattern that fit. Well I pulled that pattern out last week, made a few tweeks, (widening the leg slightly below the knee, dropped the front waist 1/2" and the rest were design elements), but I changed nothing as far as the basic size or shape in the back.

Last years pants

This years pants

The backside is very baggy, and I didn't notice that when I tried them on before finishing the waistband. I know I've lost some weight, but I didn't think I lost that much that it would show in my back side. It's to late to change this pair, and that's ok because these are work pants, but what do you suggest I do to fix it in the next pair?

Edited to add: the winkles around the inside knee I think are because I had them rolled up just before this photo was taken.
-- Edited on 2/6/14 9:01 AM --
-- Edited on 2/6/14 9:03 AM --

------
Brenda
My blog: Stitch 1 Stitch 2
Knitting/Sewing/Life in general
http://stitch1stitch2.blogspot.com/

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to StitchyMama <<

Date: 2/6/14 9:25 AM

Well first things first...Congratulations on your weight loss :hug:

Now let's see if I can get the ball rolling and hopefully others will chime in It looks as if you have a front waist pleat...right? Can you eliminate that in the next pair of pants? You will have a much smoother fit. I think what's happening on the back of the inner leg reminds me of something Debbie Cook was dealing with. I'm not sure what her fix was, but it had something to do with moving the lower leg over towards the inseam.

Also some of the baggies could be due to the length of the pant legs. Can you put on a higher heel shoe, just to get a better idea of what is an "adjustment" wrinkle and what is just too much length?

I'm sure others who have made the adjustments you need will chime in and help out

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 2/6/14 9:50 AM

Quote:

moving the lower leg over towards the inseam

Yep, I did that, I moved it in about a 1/2". Last year I was having an issue with the inseam pulling up.

Quote:

It looks as if you have a front waist pleat...Can you eliminate that in the next pair of pants?

I don't think so and because my waist is considerably smaller than my hips. I need the room to get the pant up over my hips, but still fit in the waist.

I'll try a higher heel to see if it's the length, that's an easy enough fix.

------
Brenda

DJWa
DJWa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/29/10
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 10:50 PM

I would think that between shaping the seams and waist darts in the front and back, you could achieve a fit at the waist and hips without the pleats. I remember being in a seminar where the presenter very emphatically expressed that pleats DO NOT help us look thinner!

First make sure the pants are pulled up to your crotch where you want them. Int he picture from behind, the crotch appears to be low - but is it where you want it to be? If not, pulling the pant up and adjusting where the waist will be might take those few wrinkles in the back out. Then, check your circumference - are the pants the correct size around the waist, hips, etc. Is it just right? Or do you need to take anything in? I don't think you ned to let anything out! Looks like a woven, so no stretch?

After you are good with the crotch being in the right place and the your fit going around, then look for the drag lines to determine fixes. The drag lines "point to the problem." Often involves adjusting with a dart on your muslin/pattern before cutting your fabric. Right now in the back, I would say a horizontal dart pinching out a 1/2"-1" or so at CB and tapering to nothing at the sides below the pockets/above the crotch would take care of most of the wrinkles. A few of the longer ones look related to the back of your calf. Are your knees locked in the picture? I read an earlier post about how to compensate in this situation, but I haven't done it and don't recall! Sorry!

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

In reply to DJWa <<

Date: 2/8/14 9:08 AM

I would love to take the darts out, I'm just not sure how to do that. This is a pattern I drafted myself and has gone though many alterations, so maybe I just need to start over. The back crotch is to low and I know that was a major issue last year getting the crotch (front and back) in the right spot because everytime I adjusted it I ended up with wrinkles somewhere.

Since it really doesn't matter how I dress for work, I'm not going to worry to much about this pair. Maybe it's time to move on to a different pattern.

------
Brenda

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

Date: 2/8/14 11:04 AM

I was reading though my thread from last year and I think I figured it out. Last year I had scoop out the back crotch and lower the waist. Once I got everything were it needed to be I traced the pattern and worked from the new one. I must of used the original pattern for this years pants, because I remember having to adjust the waist again last year after I traced the changes.

------
Brenda

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/8/14 5:40 PM

Now, I think you've got it!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 4/8/14 10:23 AM

I have read through the posts and don't believe anyone has addressed the problem known as baggy butt. I have this problem and have yet to make a pair of woven pants that fit (not skin tight, mind you) attractively immediately south of the butt. Here is the area:

I have adjusted the crotch, pinched a dart (a la Peggy Sagers), and narrowed the width of the back leg. Nothing seems to help and frequently creates more problems. I'm not sure but I believe my own issue is due to thin legs that don't match my larger hips. When you are short (5'3"), fit in this area is pretty danged important.

If anyone has solved this dilemma, please share your wisdom!
(I will try to get a photo of my own BB posted today. Thank you, StitchyMama, for letting me use yours for now.)
-- Edited on 4/8/14 10:25 AM --

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/14 4:52 PM

Not sure if this will help you or not but one of the things Glenda suggested to me was to do a fisheye dart in the back leg. I haven't tried it yet.
Here's a video where she explains how to do this and why.

I never did take the time to fix this pattern, I just decided to move on to something else.

------
Brenda

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to StitchyMama <<

Date: 4/8/14 7:41 PM

That's pretty much Peggy Sagers' strategy. It helps but not enough. Are you sewing other pants patterns with better luck? Any recommendations?

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Baggy Butt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2011-103

photo
by: olgarosita

Review
Simplicity 1969

photo
by: ajhewing

Review
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Stitch 'n' Flip Jacket Construction  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.