SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > The woman in the mirror ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The woman in the mirror
Does not look like the woman in my head
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 9:43 AM

I am not very bothered by body image, or so I thought. I am having a terrible time reconciling pattern choices that I select based on the woman in my head with the disaster of trying to work with the real body. I recently made
Vogue 1263 in a eggplant melton and I look like a purple blob. Bummer

I guess this is just a rant but it is very difficult to learn what will look good on me that I will also like. I need to make some things for an end of March vacation including beachwear plus more nice everyday wear.

How are you dealing with this?

jacqui583
jacqui583
Intermediate
ON
Member since 11/25/13
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 10:16 AM

I'm with you - in my head I am still 20 (or more) years younger! lol

If it is possible to find a ready to wear item to try on with a similar silouette to what you want to make, that may help. Even if the fit isn't quite right you would get an idea of how the shape of the garment works with your shape BEFORE putting all that time, effort and money into sewing the item.
-- Edited on 2/6/14 10:17 AM --

------
Jacqui

Phoebe (Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0)
Jenny (Janome Coverpro 1000cpx)
Sergio (Brother 1034D)
Betty (White 1505)

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 10:25 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I've also struggled with my choices because sometimes I find a garment or pattern aesthetically pleasing on the model, but that just doesn't translate to my body! I have to really think about whether I would be comfortable wearing something like that and then try to think of the pattern in conjunction with my own body issues. I've also found it helpful to find bloggers who have a body type similar to mine and look at their pattern choices and learn from that.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 10:50 AM

I tend to avoid styles that will appear to have a box/square silhouette. If you are medium height, a long rectangle silhouette may make your body appear longer, but with a plus size figure, it could backfire. This pattern's style appears quite boxy to me, and the very wide collar likely adds to the massive appearance. It's pretty but I don't think it would be flattering to most plus size women.

------
- Libby with a "y" not an "ie"
(People who know Richmond will get this!)

"Sewing is not a hobby, it's a journey."

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<
thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 10:59 AM

Maybe we are just under-tall!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 11:03 AM

I understand. I got a bit heavy in college, and even when I was quite slender, my self-perception was fat. It took time for my brain to "catch up" with reality. The same is true now that I'm older and less svelte. I imagine myself as I was. I think this phenomenon is probably very common and explains why so many people wear clothes that too tight or otherwise unflattering, not to mention unflattering or outdated makeup and hairstyles. They aren't seeing what others see.

As much as I like purple, I'm really cautious not to wear it in anything that gives me the Barney the dinosaur look.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to jacqui583 <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 11:13 AM

My thoughts exactly. I've done this more than once.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NH USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/6/14 12:42 PM

From browsing through the review gallery here I have seen many garments on figures similar to mine which look great, but without having seen them here I would never have thought of sewing them. On the other hand I have also seen garments on similar body types which I thought would look ok on my body, but do not look so good on my body type. So, whenever I really get going on sewing again I am eagar to try those styles which I previously passed on cause I thought they would not look good on my body type.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 2/6/14 1:00 PM

I think one of my biggest problems is, not knowing exactly what my body type is. I feel like a fluffy rectangle, but I do have a bit of a (high)waist. I have to stay away from anything that has a defined waistline(dresses, blouses). I can wear over blouses with pants and skirts.

My Mirrors lie!!!! They show me what I want to see. The only way I can tell if something is right or wrong is by taking a picture. The camera doesn't lie. Example: Last Fall, I slipped into a top I thought was the perfect thing for warmer weather. Cotton knit, raised waistline. I then saw a picture of me in this particular blouse. OMG!! I will never wear anything remotely plaid again! AND, my new bra style(non-molded) was another issue with this blouse

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 2/6/14 1:08 PM

Sorry, I'll get back with my comments later.
-- Edited on 2/6/14 1:10 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> The woman in the mirror

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

McCall's 6559

photo
by: Sew tell m...

Review

Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.