SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Planning a Trip to the NYC Garment District! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Planning a Trip to the NYC Garment District!
Tell me where to shop! :)
Cheyene
Cheyene
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 9:24 PM

My mother, sister, and I are thinking of making a trip to NYC this spring/summer! This will be the first time I've gone to NYC since I was a little girl, so I'm excited at the prospect. I'm planning on spending a couple of days in the garment district, if possible.
(I looked at what topics I could find on PR about the garment district, but some of them are clearly outdated)
I want to find the places with a nice selection of discount fabrics, remnants, silks, cotton netting and natural fiber laces, of other natural fibers. I have no use for synthetics, unless it's something spectacularly fabulous, for a gift for a friend. Synthetics cause me skin issues in the Florida heat, for some reason.
I only have access to Joann's and Walmarts where I live, so I'm excited to get the chance to find some fabrics that are harder to find!

I would be so thankful if you all could give me pointers to which stores would have a nice selection of what type of fabric I'm looking for! I'd be content to wander around on my own and find it all by myself, but I don't know how long I'll have to look around at this point of trip planning. Chances are my younger sister or my mom will be with me most of the time, and they tend to rush me or get antsy or impatient with my slower pace. If I have an idea of where to visit, it will cut down on the time I spend looking for the right shops!
Thanks!

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/7/14 6:11 AM

There is a visitors center there, google NY Garment district and there is a ton of info. The visitors center has a map with all the stores listed. I spent 3 days in the Garment District last spring, and had a blast. If you have a project you are working on and need a specific color zipper or trim, bring samples with you. There are Button only stores, zipper only stores, etc. For Fabric:
I would highly recommend Metro Textiles 265 W 37th. Suite 908. It is on the 9th floor. A little intimidating, but Mr. Kashi is so nice and the selection and prices are wonderful. He will ship and he knows Pattern Review, so you can mention it.
The other place just to see is M&J Trimming. 1008 Sixth Ave. A whole big store of trims (laces, elastic, buckles, cording) It is amazing.
Have fun!

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to Cheyene <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/14 7:22 AM

See the "Search Board" button above? Type NYC garment district in the search box, choose Titles and all forums. Have fun reading!

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 9:23 AM

Agree with earlier comment....Kashi at Metro.

Also, Mood, Paron & B & J.

My personal favorite...Elliott Berman, no junk to weed through....

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

In reply to Cheyene <<

Date: 2/7/14 11:15 AM

I hope you're planning to stay in Mid-town as that's close to the garment dist. LaQuinta has nice size rooms and for nyc reasonable rates.

If you have enough time, don't miss the Fashion Institute museum:
Fashion museum

Here's a blog that talks about all the things to do in the garment district:
Shop the Garment Dist

You can mail your purchases home or make sure to bring extra suitcases. It's overwhelmingly wonderful !

Cheyene
Cheyene
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 4:27 PM

Thank you all for your recommendations!
I keep hearing about how great Kashi is from everyone, so if I get a chance to stop by there, I'll just have to tell him that he is overwhelmingly recommended by everyone! :)
@sewdoggie22, thank you for the hotel suggestion! My mother is in charge of where we stay, but I'll mention that to her.I do want to visit the FIT, too.

I'll stop by the visitor's center, then, too, if it lists shops! Thanks, everyone! :D

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 5:19 PM

Was there in December. The notion stores are great. My favorite was Paron's for great bargains - I bougt more there than anywhere. Watch for Groupons for Parons before you go. Mood by far had the best selection for variety.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 5:42 PM

When Sigrid was here in the fall we went to Chic fabrics. They have the best price on silk organza also stretch silks that are good for linings. Well other things too, but good enough price for linings. Lots of silks at good prices.
Don't miss Pacific Trimming. I am addicted to Riri zippers and they have the best selection of anyone and will make them up to size while you wait. They also have real petersham, bu they call it rayon grosgrain. They also have the biggest selection of decorative elastics I've ever seen.I like Bottani Buttons and it's right in the district. They also have a high end zipper from Italy and the best selection of bag findings if you make handbags.
You may be looking for bargains but you shouldn't miss either Mood or B&J fabrics especially the latter if you want something really special. They also have good prices on some things. Mood especially. Paron is a good place to shop as well.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Cheyene
Cheyene
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 9:06 PM

(Replying a little late, but oh well!)
Thank you for your replies!
I've always heard that Mood and B&J fabrics could be pretty expensive, at least in the way that you could find the same fabric in another place for les money, but that they had an excellent selection. I'll definitely be checking them out, but unless I'm suddenly rich I probably won't buy too much from them. :D
I'll definitely be looking at Paron's, though! :)

LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

Date: 3/14/14 12:16 PM

Based on their online prices, it doesn't seem like Mood is extremely expensive, just not a fabric.com in regards to pricing - B&J seems more expensive. Maybe someone who has been there in person could clarify?

------
- Libby with a "y" not an "ie"
(People who know Richmond will get this!)

"Sewing is not a hobby, it's a journey."

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Planning a Trip to the NYC Garment District!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Vogue Patterns 1120

photo
by: julliams

Review
Vogue Patterns 7371

photo
by: Cosso

Review
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now
SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.