SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > natural alternatives for stabilizer? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
natural alternatives for stabilizer?
my daughter is hypersensitive
lthngsbrtnbtfl

lthngsbrtnbtfl
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 6/12/07
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 9:34 PM

My daughter is driven to absolute distraction by the stiff stabilizer in any embroidered garments! I want to make her an embroidered dress for her birthday and am trying to figure out some alternative that won't be scratchy or stiff. The fabric is a gabardine that has a bit of stretch to it, and I dont want puckering...Would starched cotton organdy or something similar work for this?

Any ideas?

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/6/14 10:11 PM

Have you tried the "no show mesh" types? They're soft.

The stitches themselves might be itchy for her... you might want to consider lining the pieces that have embroidery on them.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 2/6/14 11:52 PM

I bought something called Cloud Cover that is fusible and soft to cover up the scratchies for babies. Is that what you're talking about?

If it's the stabilizer, itself, and the fabric has enough structure to hold after the design is on it (you only want to stabilize during stitching), another option is Vilene or Sticky Vilene that is a water-soluble that leaves fibers behind but most washes out. I get mine from AnEmbroiderdAffair.com

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

lthngsbrtnbtfl

lthngsbrtnbtfl
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 6/12/07
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 10:53 AM

Yes, part of the problem is the edges of the stabilizer, and part of it is the stiffness of the embroidered area.

Do you think that the mesh type would be stable enough for a slightly stretchy fabric?

Perhaps the dissolvable kind would be best; why didn't I think of that? I guess I was thinking that it's usually pretty thin and so I thought it wouldn't be stable enough for denser embroideries. I was going to do a floral pattern. But maybe if I use more than one layer?

I guess I keep thinking of factory embroidered fabrics, and how they manage to keep their flow. I guess that's partially a function of having a completely different set of equipment?

Thanks!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/14 11:47 AM

Test the various options with scraps of the fashion fabric.

Would lining the dress be another option?

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

2mulie
2mulie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 10/17/07
Send Message

Date: 2/7/14 12:07 PM

I could never find something my boys would tolerate. Tried the iron over soft mesh, watersolve to eliminate any stblzer, less dense designs...they hated silk screened designs too. They have since grown up, it didn't hurt them any...just drove ME nuts along the way. Do what you will, but don't let it make you crazy.

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

In reply to lthngsbrtnbtfl <<

Date: 2/7/14 3:14 PM

Quote: lthngsbrtnbtfl
Yes, part of the problem is the edges of the stabilizer, and part of it is the stiffness of the embroidered area.

Perhaps the dissolvable kind would be best; why didn't I think of that? I guess I was thinking that it's usually pretty thin and so I thought it wouldn't be stable enough for denser embroideries. I was going to do a floral pattern. But maybe if I use more than one layer?

I guess I keep thinking of factory embroidered fabrics, and how they manage to keep their flow. I guess that's partially a function of having a completely different set of equipment?

Thanks!

That's probably part of it, but a large part is how the design was digitized. I learned when I was embroidering on sheers that some are digitized to be light and open and will move with the fabric (duplicates the same 'hand') and at the other extreme, some are 'bulletproof'. Most are somewhere in the middle. I tried reducing the density of designs in my embroidery software, but I must not be very good at it because I couldn't find that sweet spot where the design was still pretty but soft and malleable.

For the sheers, I wound up ordering designs from a lady who digitized specifically for sheers.

But on the washaway stabilizer, there are different kinds. The stuff that looks like Saran Wrap isn't the same as the Vilene with fibers in it. The Vilene that I order is really stable. I suppose if the design were really dense, you could use 2 layers, but I never have.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/9/14 11:01 PM

I would line the bodice or the areas you are embroidering.
You could also make the design a "patch" and sew it on, but that's a pain to do IMO.
How about a lightweight lining, kind of like a shelf bra would be in a top?
Sometimes my daughter would wear a T shirt underneath an embroidered item.
I do remember my kids complaining when they were little, but now as teens, I don't hear it anymore. My kids have sensitive skin/eczema, so maybe that was part of it.

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

Date: 2/9/14 11:26 PM

Can she wear a slip, undershirt or a camisole under the dress so that it doesn't actually touch her skin?

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to lthngsbrtnbtfl <<

Date: 2/11/14 3:14 AM

Hi,you may want to try Sulky Tender Touch,pdf information is here,some people call it "cover your back".Use it to protect sensitive skin from scratchy stitches by fusing Tender Touch onto the back of embroidered garments.

It works well on most fabric types that can tolerate a fusible. Tender Touch protects the fabric by giving it the support needed when embroidering, without changing the hand or drape of the fabric. After it is fused to the fabric, a tear-away like Sulky Tear-Easy or Stiffy can be used behind it. Once the Tear-away is removed the Tender Touch will remain.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> natural alternatives for stabilizer?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.