SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Shirting unavailable? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Shirting unavailable?
Cannot find shirting material anywhere
Sartor
Sartor
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/8/14
Send Message

Date: 2/13/14 7:13 PM

I hope that you won't mind a question from a man who is just beginning to sew. My problem is that I am unable to find cotton fabric that is suitable for making men's shirts. The fabric stores here in Ottawa, Canada, do not carry any and even seem surprised that I should want to buy it when ready-made shirts are available in every shop.

At the one shop that had been recommended as the sole source of shirting material, two clerks turned me away with the claim that no men's shirtings can be bought this side of Mexico, and one other dug around a bit and finally pulled out a bolt of something with hideously wide and garish orange and burgundy stripes that was quite unsuitable for a respectable shirt.

I simply refuse to believe that there is no source of shirtings (or suitings—something that I found at only one store, and little variety was on offer). Tailors routinely order a few metres of cloth, selected by a customer from a book of swatches, with which to make a shirt. Obviously the fabric exists. Is it not sold to the general public?

Finding men's patterns is hard enough, but I had not expected to be unable to buy simple cotton shirting material. If indeed it is unavailable, I shall just return the sewing machine for a refund and give up. I hope that someone will be able to point me to a supplier, preferably within striking distance of Ottawa. Thank you.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Sartor <<

Date: 2/13/14 7:43 PM

Try Gorgeous Fabrics, Hancock's of Paducah, and Fabric Mart....all online. Also Vogue Fabrics online.

Good luck!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Sartor <<

Date: 2/13/14 7:48 PM

Cotton shirtings are available just about everywhere in the U.S. I know nothing about stores in Canada.

Type this in your search window....buy cotton shirting fabric yardage in Canada (the word "yardage" is important)

In the U.S. online......Fabric.com, FashionFabricsClub.com, FabricMartFabrics.com These are just a few online stores that do carry shirting.

Click here,
Here
Here

Some of the above might have reasonable shipping rates to Canada, too. You'll need to check the individual websites shipping info page.

Have you thought about asking a local tailor where you could purchase shirting in Ottawa? How about the shop where you purchased your sewing machine. They might have some leads for you.

Edited here: Don't know anything about these stores in Ottawa, but thought I'd post them. Click here. It takes a few seconds to load.

-- Edited on 2/13/14 7:57 PM --

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to Sartor <<

Date: 2/13/14 7:56 PM

I feel for you. I have had the same issue and I am in the U.S. There are plenty of striped shirtings available from online vendors, but most of them are a poly/cotton blend (and very expensive) and I think the stripes are old for a young man in his 20's (the age of the person I sew shirts for).

I was able to find some 100% cotton shirtings from FashionFabricsClub.com. Solid colors are near impossible to find. I think you would have to settle for a broadcloth, but they are generally inexpensive and thin. Moodfabrics.com has quite a few cotton shirtings, but most are stripes or plaids. They are mostly 100% cotton. I might have to look a little more closely at them.

Some people are going to suggest GorgeousFabrics.com or fabricmartfabrics.com, but I don't think they have ever had anything appropriate for my use.

Good luck. If you find something, please share your find. :)

-- Edited on 2/13/14 7:57 PM --

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/13/14 8:03 PM

The following fabrics are used for men's shirts.......oxford cloth, pinpoint oxford cloth (dressier than oxford cloth), chambray, cotton flannel,(for winter), and italian shirting. If I can think of others I'll post, and there ARE others.

Others......Click here.

Male Pattern Boldness
-- Edited on 2/13/14 8:12 PM --

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 2/13/14 8:26 PM

Another online US source is Farnhouse fabrics. I have bought nice shirting there for my sons.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Wino
star
Wino
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/24/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/13/14 8:28 PM

Michael's has beautiful shirtings.......stay away from places like JoAnn etc.

------
wino

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/13/14 8:34 PM

Michaelsfabrics.com but call Michael at his brick n mortar store in Baltimore, MD and describe what you are look for in particular. He carries top Italian Zegna and high quality Swiss. He will send you swatches immediately and also put you on list for regular mailings. Only a fraction are on website and he has a tough time keeping it up to date with the selection in store. Really nice family. Best quality at best prices, IMHO.

Mood in NYC also carries a lot of shirtings.

Aixoise
star
Aixoise  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 7/6/04
Send Message

Date: 2/13/14 9:03 PM

I've also found really nice shirtings at Mood in NYC. You might check their online site.

Good luck!

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to Sartor <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/13/14 9:21 PM

When I was in Toronto last fall I wandered down Queen Street West and found 2 places for suiting -- The Wool House and Archie Fine & Son Limited (A Fine Fabric).

Both had a lot of suiting fabrics in different weights as well as coating, etc. Each had a limited amount of shirting fabrics but said they had access to more. If you call them I'm sure they could give you some leads on shirting fabrics.

If you call them and let them know what you are looking for and whether you are wanting specific colours, I'm sure they would send you out some samples. I bought some tropical wool suiting at Fine's for some skirts and a Zegna wool remnant and some wool cashmere from Wool House when I was there (would have brought home much more but suitcase space was limited).

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
56.0 yards sewn (as of 08/13/14)
113.125 yards purchased (as of 08/13/14)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Shirting unavailable?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Vogue Patterns 8280

photo
by: Cristinagf

Review
Vogue Patterns 8669

photo
by: GoodbyeVal...

Review
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.