SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Favorite Sundress Patterns for Summer? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Favorite Sundress Patterns for Summer?
Current or Vintage....
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/18/14 5:30 PM

Soooo much snow, inspired to rush spring with sundress sewing.
Any favorites new or from last year?

Not the Mission Maxi-designed for youthful, slender figures. Something strap-covering but cool, non-binding, youthful for grandmas of 5 and now to 7 this summer..gulp!
I'm looking at linen blends, stretch poplin, knits--none good around here, have to order something not so loud like the current chevrons.

I crave a Vintage Vogue one that was an A-line V-neck with
a half-placket front and funky pockets, but can't find it online for sale anywhere.
I have the basic S3700 (Review heres) but looking for something with more front interest.
-- Edited on 2/19/14 8:31 AM --

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 2/18/14 6:21 PM

I don't have a dress to add, but am going to keep an eye on this thread for ideas

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 2/18/14 6:23 PM

Good question. I don't have a pattern to add either but am looking forward to seeing the suggestions!

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/19/14 8:04 AM

Maybe our Aussie friends, who get to wear them year-round, will chime in!

Also what Woven patterns are you making for cool tops? Trying to get used to some over the usual Knits because the cotton lawns, shirtings, etc. come in prettier small prints over the loud knits available.

I think for thicker middles patterns with elastic or princess waists make you look larger and the retro patterns look like everyone had less than 30" there! Empire waists sometimes hard to fit and yoke-types don't always cover straps.
In checking the online Big 4 sites, many of the older patterns seen in the store Books aren't even there. I tried one from a Heather Ross pattern book last summer in stretch poplin and ended up re-cutting into a casual A-line skirt. It was a swing-style with a top band at high bust and wider straps, but it was just too binding in the heat.
-- Edited on 2/19/14 8:13 AM --

Karine
star
Karine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 1/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/19/14 9:48 AM

I'm looking forward, too, to sundress ideas that are posted. About the summer woven tops, I just got Louise Cutting's new pattern and think it is going to be a great option. Simplify Your Life

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/19/14 9:54 AM

This style, the Barcelona dress, may not appeal and certainly doesn't sound like the dresses you describe but was my favorite summer dress when I lived in a hot desert climate. I liked that it had some shape rather than being a sack and was loose through the waist. I've sewn it in both wovens and knits.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/19/14 10:13 AM

Burda 7083 is my favorite!

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 2/19/14 10:58 AM

I haven't made it yet, but I recently purchased NL 6587 because View D (minus the pockets) reminds me of a summer dress from the 80s I wish I still had. Normally I don't like all those gathers around my thick waist, but I'm going to give it a try. I also have NL 6020, but I'm still working on the muslin for it. NL seems to have some nice summery dresses (if not exactly always a "sundress") - 6803, 6183 (looks almost 1930s to me), 6180, 6749, etc.

I have nearly finished the dress from
S 1621 (in plaid, lol), and I think it will be great in the heat, while still covering up quite a bit; and loose but not shapeless.

Another summer dress I'm about halfway through is a Colette
Hawthorn in a bright blue/yellow/red poppy print. The bodice fits great, but I'm trying to draft my own tulip sleeves w/ flat piping.

Also in the wings for me are - the (FREE!) Coffee Date Dress and Danielle patterns from the Burdastyle website. A lot of people make the Danielle sleeveless.

Others I like, but haven't bought or made yet - M 6554, S1797, S1654.

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 2/19/14 12:47 PM

New Look 6224 is on my list for the year. I've had the pattern for years but no time to make it. Vogue 8920 also appeals to me as does McCalls 6551. I am not interested in anything that comes anywhere near my waist in the summer time! Or at least where my waist used to be.

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

sunny0702
sunny0702  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Mexico USA
Member since 8/18/08
Send Message

Date: 2/19/14 3:31 PM

Vogue 8876 looks like a good Summer dress. I'm also thinking about Burda 7078

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Favorite Sundress Patterns for Summer?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1248

photo
by: sarblakesl

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.