SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Tips for Jewel Collar ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tips for Jewel Collar
Maddie964
Maddie964
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 6/29/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/19/14 2:05 PM

Iím making a top and short set from a vintage pattern Ė Simplicity 7456 (http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5293932/il_570xN.346793275.jpg) . Iíve made it twice, fine tuning the pattern/fit with each try, and Iím onto my third attempt (finger crossed this is the one!). The fabric Iím using is a cotton/poly polka dotted brocade: http://www.madalynne.com/whats-sewing-table-polka-dot-brocade/.

I want to add a rounded peter pan collar and embellish it with multi colored sequins/studs. Here is my inspiration image: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/111675265730959666/.The top collar will be interfacing with a lightweight fusible. I donít have a lot of experience with beading or attaching this type of trimming Ė does anyone have any tips? Any suggestions for online retailers that sell top notch jewels? Any methods of attaching that would be best for this type of fabric?

------
Maddie
www.madalynne.com

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 2:04 AM

A beaded collar might not wash all that well, with the rest of it. If it's going to be that 3D and heavy beaded if you made it as a separate collar, that just fastened in the back, on top of the rest, then it would not have to even get wet ever maybe?

That collar does not look particular that it is sewn to fabric to me actually. but I guess it could be. It kind of looks like it might be of colored glass rhinestones, where each one has a metal setting and prongs on it around the rhinestone maybe? If it's glass rhinestones and they look opaque, since there is a metal colored coating on the back of them, maybe the less times they get wet the better even.

I have seen smaller glass faceted reinstones with prongs on them, with a hole in the back of the setting for each one to be sew it on to something and they were clear though and not colored glass. I have sewn those on things before, I think mine came from the 1950's or about there though, and probably just collected with a bunch of other stuff, so not sure where to buy something new like that?

But instead of looking just at sewing/fabric yardage store kind of places, I think you should be looking at more "make your own jewelry" or even bead shops possibly.

If you wanted to do it, not that 3D and heavy on the collar maybe you could use sequins and then just hold on each sequin with a little seed bead on top of it?

C_M
C_M  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 3/27/06
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 7:16 AM

I have never made such a collar, and I don't know how this would go with your fabric choices, but consider "hot fix" crystals. They are available at craft stores. You use a heated tool to press them onto your garment. Be sure to press each crystal for the full recommended time to make it adhere securely. My daughter embellished a t-shirt that has gone through the wash many times without damage. Smaller crystals are easily available; not sure about larger ones such as in your inspiration picture. I hope this helps!

DJWa
DJWa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/29/10
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 8:02 AM

You can look at a wide range of items at
http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 10:02 AM

The Rhinestone Guy has good rhinestones and are nice to deal with. Hot Fix Queen also has good rhinestones - hot fix, glue on and sew on for both places.

Here is my tutorial on gluing rhinestones.

Here is how I would do you collar

Here is the tutorial I used to start myself.

Your collar will definitely need a good strong backing so it doesn't collapse. Would love to see the finished product and know how they get the 3D effect!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Maddie964
Maddie964
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 6/29/07
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 10:14 AM

Thanks for all your help! It's okay if beading the collar makes it dry clean only. Even though I pre washed the fabric using my washer and dryer, I'm fine if I have to professionally clean it from this point on. I'm a firm believer in caring for clothes properly.

Although the idea of a removable collar is great, I really would like the collar to be attached.

If I decided to go with the rhinestones with the prongs on the back, any suggestions for preventing the fabric from buckling? Again, the top collar will be interfaced with lightweight fusible and I'm assuming this is the only layer it will be applied to.

Also, even though my inspiration image has a collar with large beads, I'll probably go for smaller. It was just a photo that I could use for direction.

------
Maddie
www.madalynne.com

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 10:53 AM

Alene's Jewel-it glue is washable - you can actually put things in the washer on gentle - most people use a bag to catch any lost stones. No idea about pronged stones - sorry! Rhinestone Guy has a lot of info on their website. NAYY

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

TGWGWS
TGWGWS  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 1:04 PM

I would think the top collar would need to be interfaced with heavy weight interfacing to be able to stand up to the weight of the stones and mountings.

------
Tina
------
I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
zora neal hurston

Viking Rose
Elna 945
Brother PE-770

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 1:27 PM

I use Aleene's Jewel-It glue for all my crystal applications on everything from skating costumes to posing bikinis to designs on legs of yoga pants and shorts.

These garments can be washed by machine (after a 7 to 10 day curing period) -- I strongly recommend using a mesh laundry bag. They can then be hung to dry -- if the stones/crystals add significant weight to the finished garment (or a component of the garment) then I recommend drying flat on a towel.

My clients have been very satisfied with their decorated items and I have received many compliments on the "staying power" of my crystals.

Proper application is the key.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
56.0 yards sewn (as of 08/13/14)
113.125 yards purchased (as of 08/13/14)

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 3:38 PM

I also like 'jewel it'. It doesn't have strong fumes like other glues, it's easy to find, WalMart, Michaels and isn't too expensive and dries nice and clear. I got away from prongs because they snag other parts you're wearing and add to the cost of the stones. And it's hard to use different sizes with prong, if your setter doesn't have that size die.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Tips for Jewel Collar

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

StyleArc Grace Trans-seasonal Coat

photo
by: sfshaza

Review
Paradiso Designs Perfect Pillows Pattern

Paradiso Designs Perfect Pillows Pattern

Buy Now
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.