SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > Why do they do this? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why do they do this?
Plus size designs that really don't flatter anyone
StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 8:41 AM

I'm looking for some plus size patterns from indy designers because the only ones from the big 4, in extended plus size is Connie Crawford. I'm over her patterns. i know not all designers think we should be wearing tents, I can find RTW jeans that don't look like clown pants.

I'm only 40, I don't want to wear old lady styles, I don't want to wear appliques, or anything quilted or patch-worked. One designer I looked at, all her finished patterns looked like she couldn't find enough fabric to make a garment so she pieced it all together.

How is that flattering to anyone?
-- Edited on 2/20/14 8:49 AM --

------
Brenda
My blog: Stitch 1 Stitch 2
Knitting/Sewing/Life in general
http://stitch1stitch2.blogspot.com/

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 9:21 AM

Those pants are scary :/

Burda just released some really cute plus sized patterns!!

I'm right on the tail end...42 top/44 bottom and have thought about trying to size down some of them.

I see you're here in MN, if you have a Hancock close, Burda will be on sale today for $2.49 each. Also, I think JoAnn might pricematch if you have an ad.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 9:47 AM

A couple of possibilities:

For above 50" hip measurements:

StyleArc gets rave reviews from plus size sewers I know up to a size 30 (61" hip). The per pattern cost is quite high, plus shipping from Australia, but the people I know in the top end of their size range are consistently pleased with the designs so it seems worth it.

Lekala's catalogue is all available up to a 62" hip size. Reviews of Lekala patterns tend to be a bit thin on the ground and the instructions aren't great, but they're cheap enough that you could certainly give it a try.

For smaller sizes (up to ~50" hip):

Hotpatterns and Ottobre Woman both do patterns up to and including hip widths in the low 50" range. Burda do a variety of sizes but most of their Burda Plus range from the magazines is up to about a 50" hip. You may be able to find some specific patterns that are larger.

Another European magazine, MyImage has a few items up to a 54" hip in the most recent issue, but be aware that most of the magazine is in smaller sizes.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

In reply to westmoon <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/20/14 10:09 AM

I'll have to give Lekala a try. I see a couple things in there I like.

------
Brenda

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 10:10 AM

My mom just sized up a Lekala in her size, and so far it looks like it's supposed to.

I also would suggest giving the Craftsy plus size class a size. There is a ton of fantastic info in it.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 2/20/14 10:30 AM

Try some Burda plus envelope patterns. They work up nicely.I hear you on many dowdy styles on most lines...but Burda really knows the styles! ;)

8108 & 7505 - I like those and many more that are right here on PR, but gettable at JAs, and very versatile - nice tops and so on. The magazine, Burda Plus is very very good too - I used to get it but don't any more.

Petite Plus is always a bad fit for me - too large on top, and too short in the torso, and I stopped trying them, although I got good results after alteration on the shirt pattern they have with the princess seaming. Good luck! :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to StitchyMama <<

Date: 2/20/14 11:52 AM

Quote: StitchyMama
I'm looking for some plus size patterns from indy designers because the only ones from the big 4, in extended plus size is Connie Crawford. I'm over her patterns. i know not all designers think we should be wearing tents, I can find RTW jeans that don't look like clown pants.

I'm only 40, I don't want to wear old lady styles, I don't want to wear appliques, or anything quilted or patch-worked. One designer I looked at, all her finished patterns looked like she couldn't find enough fabric to make a garment so she pieced it all together.

How is that flattering to anyone?
-- Edited on 2/20/14 8:49 AM --

huh.

I often feel like I'm the resident nut around here... but I can't imagine anyone wearing that!

Inspired by Ronald McDonald.

I still have given up on sewing clothes for the time being.

When I came back to sewing about 2 years ago... my bubble quickly burst when I tried to find any nice fabrics around Denver. Joann's and Hancocks doesn't cut it. And Denver Fabrics at the time (haven't been there lately - they're changing to Colorado Fabrics, I've heard - new owners?) ...anyway, DF was beautiful on the home dec side.. but just uber-trashy on the other side.

I used to like Burda when I had a proportionate figure. Now that I'm shaped more like a tomato, I prefer to just go into Dress Barn and come out happy. They always have cute knit tops & jeans that fit. I never go out of there empty handed.

I just spent waaaaaay too much $$ on stuff for my newest quilt project. But at least I know when I work on projecty stuff, that it will turn out. I would hate to sew something up and then be disgusted by it when I try it on.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

StitchyMama
StitchyMama
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 1/16/13
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 12:31 PM

Quote: RipStitcher
[quote]
I often feel like I'm the resident nut around here... but I can't imagine anyone wearing that!

I know, right? Everything by that designer looked like she raided the scrap bin.

------
Brenda

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to StitchyMama <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 12:34 PM

That really made me laugh. She looks so pleased with herself.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

LynneH
star
LynneH
Ontario CANADA
Member since 4/10/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 2/20/14 12:49 PM

That pattern and "Look" give Sewers a bad rap. My motto is if you don't see similar things in the store. Why would you sew it? This is just awful. DUH!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> Why do they do this?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

McCall's 6571

photo
by: PattiinATL

Review
Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6010

photo
by: carrie1858...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.