SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > What's left on the bobbin?? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What's left on the bobbin??
How to know and what to do with it
Kimbra8
Kimbra8
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 11/23/13
Send Message

Date: 2/21/14 5:00 AM

I am always afraid I won't have enough thread on an already started bobbin when I start a new project so I grab a new bobbin.. So here I sit with a bunch of bobbins that have some thread but who knows how many stitches are left on them and can they make it thru that next project. Is it worth finding out and running out mid stitch? So what to do with all these half used bobbins? I'm curious to hear what you do with yours. Others ideas always intrigue me and usually give me that "Why didn't I think of that" moment.

Have a great day ... Hopefully stitching something beautiful....

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Whats left on the bobbin?? Date: 2/21/14 6:03 AM

I use my half used bobbins for thread tracing and tailor tacks, basting and the other odds and ends I wind up needing. If I need to mend, I use those instead of a spool. I also use the bobbins to refill my sewing kits.

I have a limited number of bobbins for my featherweight and handcrank, and those I unwind and hand wind onto an empty spool, to use for the same purpose of tailor tacking.

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/21/14 7:04 AM

I used a bunch of leftover bobbins the other day to really work on my restarting technique, and it was a great learning experience. When it ran out of bobbin, I changed to a new one (almost empty) used my buttons that backed me up by 10 stitches at a time, then used the button to forward me 1 stitch at a time, and I was able to figure out exactly where I was when the bobbin ran out.

It made me not afraid to run out of bobbin thread.

Now I will admit I was still using the expensive stuff from my dealer, and yesterday I got an absolutely MASSIVE cone of bobbin thread in the mail (plus some pre-fills to try out) and if that new thread works well, I probably wouldn't worry as much.

But then I'd be pulling thread off of bobbins, and that's a pain too.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Kimbra8 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/21/14 8:36 AM

I use it to stitch the ends of my new material before washing, so fraying is minimal. I like to use it to help "save" my thread that I'll be using for a garment...in other words: If I'm making a top or a dress with facings, I stitch the interfacing on with odd ball thread, stitch the narrow hem on pockets(no one sees it), sometimes I'll even finish my seam edges with odd ball stuff. When working on a garment, I use it where ever it won't be seen by anyone but me. Also good for hand basting.

When I make a quilt "sandwich" that will eventually be a tote or purse, I use the odd ball bobbin thread to baste my sandwich. Also good for topstitching tote bags, if you want to add a bit of pizzazz.

2mulie
2mulie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 10/17/07
Send Message

Subject: Whats left on the bobbin?? Date: 2/21/14 9:44 AM

I was raised with the "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" montra...that being said, now I pull off remnant threads and buy my emb bobbin thread by the xl bulk, as well as the threads. I even stopped saving the emb threads thinking I'd make something with it...that was my ah ha moment.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/21/14 10:03 AM

Running out of bobbin thread on an embroidery piece is just no big deal... so I start out with a half-used one and empty it.

My machine has a low bobbin warning... so by the time it beeps at me, it probably still has another 100 stitches left on it.

If you start your machine and walk away from it, I can see how you might be nervous about the machine doing a few thousand stitches without bobbin thread. But for most designs I work with, that isn't going to happen - because the top thread changes quite often.

It really is no big deal backing up your machine to where it ran out of bobbin thread.

While we're on it, I keep bobbins that have sewing thread on them with their full spool "mothers". lol But if there are some colors that I probably won't use again for a loooong time, I use those goofy colors up when I'm doing projects that either benefit from the color (and use the bobbin on top) or that can hide that color.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Unashamed of being a self confessed tool junkie! Currently love my: Bernina 550qe, ElnaPress & Oliso Iron - crazy thing but I love it! ...and a fleet of Macs, iPads, iPhones.

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Bernina 880 Sterling Edition
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Subject: Whats left on the bobbin?? Date: 2/21/14 10:37 AM

My embroidery/sewing combo has a low bobbin sensor. By now I know how many more stitches to take before stopping and replacing the bobbin.

On my other sewing machines, there is just a certain sound that signals low bobbin.

PS: Stay with the embroidery machine as you never can tell what may happen and if you are not there to push the stop button. You may wind up making a trip to the dealer for $$$ of repair that could have been avoided by exercising patience. Gives a whole new slant to "time is money"!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

smockeymama
smockeymama
Member since 2/8/08
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 2/21/14 12:14 PM

I have an inexpensive Brother and when the signal says "Bobbin Thread Low", it means it is OUT of bobbin thread!!!

bakertoo
star
bakertoo
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/26/08
Send Message

Subject: Whats left on the bobbin?? Date: 2/21/14 12:32 PM

My Bernina doesn't have a low bobbin warning, and it is one feature I would have gotten if I had thought about it. So, the upshot is that I have bobbins with leftover thread! I use them for the muslins I make, and for stitching quilt blocks together, small projects like little bags. Anything I don't have to worry about top stitching, and it seems to work out. Bobbins are expensive for my machine, and I would like to have lots around, but I think I would only end up with a million bobbins with tiny amounts of thread! So one of my many goals is to pay attention to how much I use, but, really, I don't think it will ever work out in my favor because each project is so different. And these bobbins hold so much more thread than my previous machine bobbins.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Kimbra8 <<

Date: 2/21/14 1:11 PM

Since you put this under Embroidery I am going to assume that you mean the bobbin thread. Because it is thin you won't be able to do as much with it as you would regular sewing thread. Besides suggestions from others, you could use it when hand basting for a short distance.

I did some testing and the bobbin for my Brother PE150 will go for 30-35 minutes of actual sewing time. My designs show how much each segment takes, so I know how long the entire design will take. I mark how much time remains on the bobbins! I try to plan it so when I need to put in a different bobbin, it is during color change time.

Yikes--do I really do this?? I also come from the "waste not, want not" school, plus I dislike unwinding bobbins.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> What's left on the bobbin??

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Butterick 3134

photo
by: lilyloulad...

Review

Pattern

Butterick 5390 OOP

photo
by: SueT

Review
Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.