SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > Repair or Replace Computer???? ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Repair or Replace Computer????
not a PR problem
jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/22/14 2:44 PM

Yesterday some program, purporting to be Windows security jumped into my computer and has everything locked up. I can't acess anything unless I buy their malware proogram!!!!

I've unplugged everything and am considering taking it to a local computer shop to debug. I've had it since 2009, I believe and it has Windows Vista. Is it too old to repair or would it be too expensive?? Would I be better off to replace with a current machine????

I don't really want to spend the tax refund on either...but my life is in that computer....

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

SewPaula
star
SewPaula  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 2/18/04
Send Message

Date: 2/22/14 3:24 PM

You may be able to get by with just upgrading to Windows 7 and adding more memory. We have older computers running Windows 7 and it is okay for surfing the net and basic applications. Probably not heavy duty gaming but should meet most of your needs.

You should really update the operating system. Microsoft no longer supports Vista and will soon stop supporting Windows XP. What that really means is that they will not provide updates that fix holes in the security which makes you much more vulnerable to attacks like the one you have experienced. Once you do upgrade, make sure to install the critical patches as they come out. You can set your computer to automatically update as the patches come out.

Also get a good virus scanner and firewall if you can Avast is a good one. We use Norton which includes both virus scanner and a firewall. Windows also has a built in firewall to protect you from attacks.

I hope you can get it fixed. I would ask my dh for a better suggestion as he is a network security analyst but I am in the PICU with my 12 yo DD (2 days post spinal fusion surgery) and he is home with the other two kids so I can't ask him.

------
If I were a sewing machine, all I would have to do is lift up my foot and all my tension would be gone.

Sewing with my lovelies: Pfaff Ambition 1.5 Kenmore 385.19365, Babylock Imagine and BLCS, 4 Brothers (PE150, PE770, 1034D, 2340V), and a chorus of vintage Singers

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to SewPaula <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/22/14 3:26 PM

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/22/14 3:42 PM

Can you do a reset to factory setting? Customer service can walk you through the reset and it's not difficult to do.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 2/22/14 5:05 PM

Weren't you the one who posted a few days ago that you received a call from a guy "from "Microsoft" and he told you that your computer was doing bad things? He sent an e-mail to you? Did you click on a link within it? If you did, that, more than likely, downloaded this malware on your computer. Possibly he got into your computer a different way. Whatever--that is probably what caused this problem.

I heard that this type of malware is extremely difficult to get rid. Definitely check with a computer place. Good luck to you.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/22/14 5:33 PM

When you get it figured out - DH recommends the free version of Microsoft Security Essentials to all of his clients (and me) at the moment. Don't buy more and definitely don't use more than one virus scanner at a time. They clog up the works.

He is deeply into Saturday afternoon vegetation mode right now, so I don't dare wake....errrrr....bother him to ask about the malware. I know it drives him bonkers! Sorry to hear you have it.

ETA - he surfaced and said a good computer person can fix it pretty easily. You could phone around and see what kind of price quote they give you?
-- Edited on 2/22/14 5:41 PM --

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/22/14 7:52 PM

If it was that old, stupid fake "Internet Security 2012 program", and kind of even sounds like it, (though I think those bozo's actually make a new fake and malware one each new year too even) then you can just get rid of it yourself. Go read here to see if this sounds likewhat you got and how to get rid of it and then go download the "Rkill file" to try to kill it off. I had to do that to a bunch of computers once. There was a time back in 2012, that everyone I know was carrying around that Rkill file, on some USB stick someplace, just since so many computers had that one in it.

But here is the Rkill for the fake "Internet Security 2012" program in case it's that one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

and read this first too:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2012

If it's not that one, just go to a computer that actually works someplace even and google whatever you got, and probably a close remedy is listed for it there, for you even.

You must have one that works someplace, or you probably could not have posted.

Even if your computer is still running Vista, you probably want it to work at least for a little while longer no matter what, because you probably have stuff on it, that you want to save, even if you decided to get a new computer for any reason.
-- Edited on 2/22/14 7:55 PM --

I don't think you want to get a new computer and switch over from a 32bit operating system to a 64 bit one, when you are kind of not ready or prepared for it. Just since you never even know what old software or hardware you might even have (that you really like or need for something) that might suddenly not work with that, when you do that.

If you got all your computer manufacture's restore disks though, you can also always just wipe the whole thing clean, and reinstall even old Vista Operating system from scratch, but no reason to do that, if you don't have to at all.
-- Edited on 2/22/14 8:05 PM --
-- Edited on 2/22/14 8:07 PM --

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/22/14 8:15 PM

Malwarebytes has a free version that takes care of many viruses of this kind that other security programs don't touch. You may have to download it in Safe Mode with Internet. Also you do need to upgrade to a least Windows 7. HP still sells them if you insist on Win 7 and not 8.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 2/22/14 9:26 PM

I got a call yesterday.
(Caller) 'Our records show you run Microsoft Windows on your computer, correct'.
(Me) 'What's your point and why are you calling.'
(Caller) Click

I don't like be forced to be aggressive to curtail invasions. There was no number on the caller ID. Hubbie was expecting a call from a doctor who would be using his cell phone so we could not ignore the call. This invasiveness is unacceptable.

JannW, sorry you have been invaded and are having problems.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 2/22/14 10:35 PM

DH got a call like that recently. I don't recall what he said, but I told him next time he should say "I make my living getting rid of the crap you put on other people's computers. Thanks for helping me pay off the mortgage quicker!"

Quote:
go to a computer that actually works someplace even and google whatever you got, and probably a close remedy is listed for it there
beauturbp - you are obviously a pro. DH often just googles for answers to computer problems. For the record, his doctor (a friend) told him what to google to help diagnose some vertigo he was having.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> Repair or Replace Computer????

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 9475 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Glam Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.