SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Pre-treating taffeta? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pre-treating taffeta?
Creases from the bolt
stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 2/22/14 8:40 PM

I went to JA for some 54" mockup fabric for a steampunk skirt project, and oddly, I stumbled across some taffeta on the red tag table, for $3/yard. ...So now I have 6 yards of taffeta for a *wearable* steampunk skirt mockup.

It's a crosswoven gold/brown bronze color, and the creases from being wrapped around the bolt are *extremely* prominent. What's the best way to get them out? I have no idea what the fiber content is (altho' it's pretty lightweight and feels kind of like ripstop nylon). It's a lot of fabric, so my instinct is just to throw it in the washer... but then what? Will a light tumble in my dryer change the hand? I really have nowhere to air dry six yards of anything.

Suggestions?
Thanks!!
-- Edited on 2/22/14 8:41 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

2mulie
2mulie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 10/17/07
Send Message

Date: 2/23/14 10:30 AM

It would ravel horribly if you just washed and dried the stuff...but I would still do it if it is going next to your skin. I have serged edges of this kind of stuff before washing and have had good results..pita to do so but have wished I'd done so too often when having to cut appart all the tangled mess from thewasher and then again the drier(on low).

Iron set to synthetic, dry after that.

The horrible chemical smell some of these fabrics have when purchased makes me concerned...so I wash them all unless they are truely unwashable.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 2/23/14 10:33 AM

Since it is for a mockup and since it was cheap, I would toss it in the wash. I understand the urge to make mockups wearable and to love cheap or free fabric enough to want to take extra good care of it! But if you won't be happy with the creases, give it a whirl. Or - try giving it a tumble with a damp towel without washing? That might be the answer and will avoid the problem of having to iron 6 yards that have wrinkled in the wash.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/23/14 10:50 AM

I have washed silk taffeta to purposely change the hand...as well as dupioni and shantung. It does not sound like yours is silk but I'm thinking it still might change the hand if you wash it. For a steampunk skirt that might just be the perfect look.
As for drying my dryer has an air-dry option but if you have heat adjustment on your dryer maybe just setting it at the lowest heat available would work best.
Let us know what you decide to do.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/23/14 11:24 AM

Thanks, everyone! :)

The creases HAVE to go. They're distracting, for one thing. I'm also doing layers of circle skirts, and I want to make sure I can lay the fabric out smoothly.

I used a 100% poly crinkle taffeta curtain panel in a project last summer, and the creases from packaging wouldn't wash, soak, steam-dry, or press out. Finally they sort of just disappeared through use/wear. I'm hoping this fabric isn't quite as stubborn!

I will definitely serge the ends first. My dryer does have a Fluff setting, although I may give it a couple of minutes' blast of heat if it looks like it might have some stubborn lines still....
-- Edited on 2/23/14 11:25 AM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

Date: 2/23/14 12:10 PM

If it's acetate, it would be good to serge the cut ends before doing anything. I wouldn't wash acetate, but steaming it in the dryer might be ok.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 2/25/14 1:19 AM

Brenda, thanks for the reminder! I did a quick test with some fingernail polish remover (acetone), and it just soaked in and sat there, so if I'm remembering my home ec tests correctly, this means it's not acetate.

At home in my sewing room, the creases aren't as apparent. Still pondering....

------
~Gem in the prairie

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 4:52 PM

Stir, have you done anything with the fabric yet? I'm nosy and I want to know

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 3/20/14 0:35 AM

Chemical, thanks for asking!! I finally got it made up into a circle skirt for my Wagner's Valkyrie cosplay ensemble!

Spear and magic... huh?

And to pre-treat it I ended up doing... NOTHING! I ran out of time and crossed my fingers, even cutting out the half circles on the creased fabric, which I would never, ever normally do. Egad! When DH looked at it and said, "you're going to iron that, right?" and pointed to a giant crease across the front, I acquiesced to at least steaming it in the dryer with a bunch of other pieces. (I didn't even hem it!)

That doesn't substantially contribute to the knowledge on these boards, however--except to say that steaming it worked quite nicely, and that it wasn't affected at all by acetone. I haven't even had it under an iron to see what happens, and some of the yardage got damp while I was cutting out--I need to check and see if it left a spot.

Very nice fabric to work with, btw! Not too slippery, and fraying wasn't an issue because everything was on the bias. I am a taffeta convert!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 3/20/14 1:51 PM

Wagner and...PREDATOR!? What a great pic! And your skirt looks terrific. The beautiful bronze-y color looks wonderful with the shield and bodice and the iridescence gives it that touch of magic. Wonderful job!

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Pre-treating taffeta?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

McCall's 6404

photo
by: velosewer

Review
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.