SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > Sewing during weight loss? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing during weight loss?
Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

Date: 2/25/14 8:09 PM

I am participating in a medical weight management program, which involves rapid weight loss (roughly 4 pounds a week for me so far). I keep picking up and putting down sewing patterns as these weeks go by, and I am conflicted. Every few weeks my clothes become ill-fitting, so it seems like a sewing opportunity! But then, I will be a different size again in a few weeks (God willing) and I am put off by the thought of investing time, energy, and good fabric on something I will only wear for a few weeks.

I tend to prefer fitted clothes, so I don't want to sew sack-y dresses just because they can be worn longer during weight loss, because I won't wear them at all. And I have tried to interest myself in sewing purses, hats, etc. to no avail -- and don't even talk about home dec or sewing for my kids. I just can't muster any enthusiasm!

Anyone else gone through or going through this? Do you put aside sewing for weight loss, or use it as an opportunity to make clothes for your changing body?

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

Mobycat

Mobycat  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/19/07
Send Message

Date: 2/25/14 9:46 PM

I have been losing weight, not as rapidly as yourself, but my clothes become too large too fast. You can only take them in so much. I keep sewing to keep up my wardrobe and better fitting clothes makes me feel better. A lot of my patterns were graded up anyway and I'm learning a lot as I make new stuff.
My biggest problem is the loss I feel when something I like is too big to wear.

------
Charlene

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/26/14 1:14 AM

I make clothes for my changing body. I have three different sizes in my wardrobe, and when I make clothes I make them for the size I am at the time, since I can't guarantee I will end up any particular size or shape in the end.
Good luck with your efforts and congratulations on your weight loss to date!

Liane M
star
Liane M  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/5/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/26/14 5:48 AM

Will you share what program you're on?

Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

In reply to Liane M <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/26/14 11:09 AM

I am doing the Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program. It is pretty hardcore and you have to be obese/40+ pounds overweight to participate. It is 82 weeks, the first 16 weeks of which you are on food replacement (Optifast), with daily exercise tracking and a requirement to drink at least 90 ounces of water per day. I just finished the third week of the food replacement and have dropped from 220 to 207.

------

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 11:09 AM

I'm there myself. I've put on 25 pounds in the last 2 years, most of which was put on in under a year. I blame stress of divorce and moving across country, etc.

Anyways, I kept trying to lose it but it wouldn't budge and I wanted to sew, so I started sewing casual tops mostly. My favorite is the Style Arc Ivy. It's not fitted though. I have been working on various free t-shirt patterns for fun. My bust and waist will change if I lose weight but not my shoulders, etc. I also figure it's not a huge fabric cost or time investment to play around with t-shirts. In the summer, I made some casual, elastic waist dresses. With winter now though, I'm more limited. I would like to sew and wear some casual ponte type dresses, but the 80 inches of snow we've had this year and frigid temps haven't helped.

Finally, I have started to lose some weight. 7 pounds in the last three weeks. So I am in the same boat now you are. My doctor suggested medical weight loss but I figured I would give it one more try myself. I cut out almost all gluten, wheat, sugar and processed foods and upped my protein.

I'm going to keep sewing casual tops and buy cheap pants as I continue to lose weight (hopefully). I have a whole closet full of great clothes from 2 years ago to fit into!

Congrats on your weight loss!

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

In reply to Mobycat <<

Date: 2/26/14 11:14 AM

Quote: Mobycat
My biggest problem is the loss I feel when something I like is too big to wear.

Exactly! It is so disheartening to say goodbye to something perfectly good, because it just doesn't fit and can't be taken in or adjusted anymore.

Maybe I will make some wrap skirts?

------

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<

Date: 2/26/14 12:04 PM

Congrats on your weight-loss project and progress!

Wrap skirt idea for you- Christine Johnson has one here Travel Trio Two and all her patterns are 30% off. The other pieces, especially the hoodie are easy fitting. Using knits will also help with a reasonable fit for longer.

Let us know how you're managing. I'm loosing weight too, but not as rapidly as you.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 1:47 PM

It will be exciting to sew new clothes for your changing body.

I second the wrap skirt idea. I have this vintage knit Stretch & Sew wrap skirt
pattern that just can be wrapped tighter. Or on a woven wrap skirt, extra buttons can be added to adjust the waist. Knit dresses with a waist tie or belt, capes, cardigans...
Button hole elastic at the back of waistbands... Styles that are belted or have adjustable waists.
I think knits and drapey wovens would be good fabrics to use. For a fitted top, maybe a princess seamed top and somehow construct it so it will be easier to take in the seams as you need them.
-- Edited on 2/26/14 1:49 PM --
-- Edited on 2/26/14 1:51 PM --

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

joyoussprite
star
joyoussprite
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/6/05
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<

Date: 2/26/14 1:53 PM

I was going to suggest wrap skirts. They can be cute and fun, feel special, and are quite adjustable. I bought one at a local market, and it had a knit waist band/tie instead of the customary ribbon/woven fabric one (they just skipped the button hole to put the one tie through the waist band). It's so comfy and infinitely adjustable!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> Sewing during weight loss?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2007-117

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1181

photo
by: valkyrie01

Review
Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.