SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Comfy Pinking Shears ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Comfy Pinking Shears
bent or straight?
C_M
C_M  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 3/27/06
Send Message

Date: 2/25/14 9:05 PM

I am in the market for pinking shears. Less-expensive would be great, but I am willing to spend up to $40 or so. My hands are large and blessed with both carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis. A large, soft ergonomic handle is important to me.

I adore my Kai dressmaker shears, which I originally got for the soft handle and later appreciated for the quality of the blades. I thought I would order Kai pinking shears as well, but I noticed on the website that they do not appear to be bent like dressmaker shears (and like most other pinking shears). Does this make a difference? Also, the handle of the shears I own is yellow, not black. I don't recall the label anymore, but they may have been "Omnigrid" scissors, made by Kai. Does anyone know if the yellow handles are different from the black handles in texture or design?

If bent handles are preferable for pinking shears, I would consider trying Fiskars Softgrip. I am not a brand snob, as long as they work well. Does anyone have feedback on these?

Thanks all!
-- Edited on 2/25/14 9:29 PM --

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/25/14 10:11 PM

In general, bent handled shears are intended to be used on a table, with the bottom blade resting on the table. Straight trimmers are supposed to be used free of a table. Pick which you like based on that, I'd think. If you're going to cut out and pink in one operation, bent handled would suit how I do things better. If you're planning to cut out and then pink, straight might be better.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/25/14 10:14 PM

My black handled Kais do have a squishy grip, but I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter instead of shears. The blades are under $7 from Wawak (but I already had the boards). It's fast and easy.

Tricia Plummer

Tricia Plummer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 11/6/03
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 1:56 AM

I have a pair of Kai pinking shears and a pair of regular shears. I also have an Olfa rotary pinking blade. My Kai regulars cut like they're cutting through butter but the pinkers are very difficult to open and close. I emailed Kai and was told that it is just the way they are. I much prefer my Olfa rotary pinking blade to the Kai's. HTH

------
Tricia

Plottie

Plottie
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/19/07
Send Message

In reply to Tricia Plummer <<

Date: 2/26/14 5:27 AM

I found the same thing with my Kai scissors-the shears are a joy to use, even on upholstery fabric, but the pinking shears have never been as easy to use as I thought they should be. I have a pair of Fiskars that came in a 'craft-pack' of 4 types of scissors from Aldi for $20 and they cut much better than the expensive Kai pinkers.

------
Blue Mountains, NSW

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 7:18 AM

And don't forget pinking blades for rotary cutters, I find rotary cutting so much easier on my sore hands than scissors.

------
Dawn T.

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 1/21/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/26/14 8:37 AM

I have the Fiskars and find them quite good. Since I use my pinking shears primarily to trim curved edges instead of clipping them before turning, they sometimes balk a little when there are a lot of layers. Maybe it's just me but I find the pinking blade from my Olfa cutter harder to cut with.

signemarie
signemarie
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 2/10/12
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 10:27 AM

I have both Fiskars (orange) and Kai (black) pinking shears and I find the Fiskars to be much smother cutting than the Kai. Couldn't return the Kai as they were bought in another country, but if I could, I would have.
-- Edited on 2/26/14 10:28 AM --

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

Date: 2/26/14 11:10 AM

I had carpal tunnel and tendonitis in both hands and found the fiskars easy action pinking shears to be much easier to use. The spring action really reduces the stress on my hands, which I appreciate even though I've had surgery for both conditions.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Tarrbaby <<

Date: 2/26/14 3:11 PM

Quote: Tarrbaby
And don't forget pinking blades for rotary cutters, I find rotary cutting so much easier on my sore hands than scissors.

ITA! The rotary pinking blade seems to last longer than pinking shears in my sewing room. I rarely use the pinkers.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Comfy Pinking Shears

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Butterick 3523 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
New Look 6097

photo
by: redsilvia

Review
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.