SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Hand Sewing Needle Threaders ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
What do you use?
kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

Date: 3/6/14 0:29 AM

I have been using the little silver things to help thread my hand sewing needles. But they always break! I was wondering if any one ever tried the The Clover Need Threader

My eyes tell me I need something to help me thread my hand sewing needles. I want to get something that won't break and is large enough so I can find it!

What do use if you use a needle threader.

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 3/6/14 2:02 AM

I have a threader similar to the Clover- I can't remember the brand offhand, but I can't sew without it! I use very fine Japanese needles which have a small eye.. It works very well, but does not work with needles that have a round eye. That's not a problem for me, however.

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 3/6/14 3:05 AM

I bought 500 of the silver threaders from China for less then $2, so I use those.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 3/6/14 8:16 AM

I like the red plastic version of the silver threaders:

I think the wires are attached more firmly; at least I've never had one break on me yet.

------
~Gem in the prairie

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/6/14 9:00 AM

kajero,
Yes, I have the Clover Needle Threader. It works really well if you have the right needles. Some have long eyes and some have more rounded eyes. This threader doesn't work on the long eyed needles.
Since I have some of both, I just use the round ones.
The other thing that I do to thread needles (I hate those wire threaders) is to hold the needle in front of a white business or index card; that really makes the eye show up and makes it easier to thread.

-- Edited on 3/6/14 9:01 AM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

kitphantom
kitphantom  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 1/6/11
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 11:09 AM

This:
http://www.clover-usa.com/p/double-needle-threader?pp=24
is my favorite needle threader. The ends are slightly different in thickness, and coded by a dot on the handle. We have several, as they are kept in the various sewing boxes.
I have tried the desk version, but the hand-held one works best for me, YMMV.
-- Edited on 3/7/14 8:28 PM --

------
Bernina: 910, 930, 180, 440
Bernina 1150MDA
Bernette 004D serger
Vintage/classic Singer: 201, 301, 221

Sewing Joe
star
Sewing Joe
Indiana USA
Member since 3/7/08
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 8:26 PM

Love my Clover needle threader! If I had to thread a #10 quilting needle without it, I'd never get it done. One click and it's threaded! Love, love, love it.

------
Joe in New Albany, iN

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 3:38 AM

Your question prompted me to write a review.
You can read my long opinion there.

HTH

------
Fictionfan

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<

Date: 3/8/14 8:57 AM

I have two of those Clover needle threaders you linked. One for my sewing room and one for my sit-n-sew/workshop kit. Like some other posts say, certain types of needles don't play nicely but I rarely use those. I mostly use betweens and sharps for hand sewing, and only the Richard Hemmings and the S Thomas & Sons and some Japanese ones I bought from Judy Barlup. (basically, either English and Japanese) It is worth every dollar I spent on it. Look to see if JoAnn's has them; if you can use a coupon that helps a lot.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 2:54 PM

Like Doris, I have two of them in two spots in my house where I am likely to use them. I keep one in my hand-sewing basket which is where I store all my hand needles so it's always easy to find when I need it.

I've never had it fail to thread a particular needle, it has threaded every needle I've tried. Must be that the ones it's good at are the only kinds of needles I use.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Hand Sewing Needle Threaders

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Kwik Sew 3452

photo
by: norsk

Review
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.