SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Can this linen be used for a bathrobe? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can this linen be used for a bathrobe?
FFC says it's for slacks, suits, and jackets"
Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 3/6/14 8:13 PM

FFC has some linens on sale for $6 a yard, but they say in the description that the fabric is "suitable for slacks suits and jackets". All the linens are Italian, dark blue, "lightweight", and come in various widths: 64 inches, 59 inches, and 54 inches. They've also got quite a bit of black linen as well as a few other colors. I'm looking to make a bathrobe and was wondering if these would be suitable. What you do you think?

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/6/14 8:40 PM

Probably, but since they say "suitable for slacks suits and jackets" (and not more dress shirts at all)and it seems that those are all kind of things that some of the more heavy and stiff linen would be made of sometimes too. .So possibly it depends on how soft and draping and bendable, you even want the bathrobe. Washing it a lot might make it softer and more draping though. If it was not that way as much as you wanted it to be. I admit that I'm at a huge loss and personal disadvantage, for not being able to touch and feel fabrics on line though, as even a clue on something like that, so to me it is hard to tell about that stuff, if it's not in front of me instead.

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 3/6/14 9:33 PM

Thanks Beauturbo. I didn't know if the "suitable for slacks, suits, and jackets" automatically ruled it out from being used as a bathrobe. It's sort of confusing for me, because it also says lightweight which would make you think it's ok for bathrobes.

Maybe I should just go with Fabrics-Store for linen? They have their basic 5.3 weight linen on sale for $8.19 a yard and it comes in a bunch of pretty colors. I think the asphalt linen is an especially beautiful grey color.

EDIT: corrected the the weight of the linen
-- Edited on 3/6/14 9:54 PM --

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<

Date: 3/6/14 9:49 PM

3.5 oz is rather lightweight. The handkercheif linen I have gotten is 4.0 oz and the medium-weight is 6.0. Maybe you can get swatches?

------
Stash: 172.5 yds. @ 12.27.14

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 3/6/14 9:56 PM

Sorry Patty I made a typo! The linen I linked to is actually 5.3 oz.

And you're right I ought to get swatches-- just feeling impatient all of a sudden

------

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<

Date: 3/6/14 10:05 PM

The asphalt linen one might have some advantages, just because they even say a very nice drape after it has been washed. And if you like that color, the color might have an advantage in frequent washing too, just since if Dark Navy Blue or Black, bleeds and fades a lot after washing a lot, a grey color probably would not do that as much and even if it did a bit, might not show it later either?

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/6/14 11:04 PM

I didn't have much luck looking for RTW linen bathrobes on the net, but did find 1. Click here. Scroll down a little and you can enlarge the photos to get a close-up of the linen. I know this isn't the type robe you were thinking of sewing, but it's the only linen one I could find. Other places must carry linen robes, though. Keep in mind linen wrinkles a lot. It's just the nature of the fabric. Wrinkling may, or may not bother you. If you plan on washing and drying it, it's probably going to shrink, too. I also think I read that linen ravels a good bit, so you're going to have to encase your seams, do a french seam, or something else. Shouldn't be difficult as the yukata has all straight seams. It should be a fun project.

You could always email FFC and ask their opinion. Better safe than sorry. Someone mentioned ordering a swatch and I think it's a wise idea. You could always tell FFC you wanted to order while it was on sale, and if they don't get that swatch to you quickly, the sale will end. Ask if it's possible for them to put the swatch in a regular size USPS envelope.

I have no idea if the FFC linen would be suitable for a robe. My first thought is that it probably isn't, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I don't think you'll want to dry clean a robe, so will you mind hand washing it? Things to consider.

helenkosings
helenkosings
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 8/30/07
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 0:13 AM

Emma One Sock has a bunch of gorgeous knit linen.....I'm dying to try it myself. In my imagination that would make the loveliest linen robe EVER!

------
"Housework won't kill you. But why take the chance?"
-Phyllis Diller

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 0:58 AM

I have used gads and gads and gads of Fabric-Store.com's 5.3 oz linen. It washes up beautifully soft and the drape is amazing. It's a good weight for a dress or a man's shirt. Personally, I'm a thick fuzzy bathrobe person, so I'm kind of having trouble picturing one in linen, but if you want something just a little heftier, my husband really likes their linen-cotton blend: http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=fabricselector&menu=f&sstr=1&type=1&content=2 Unfortunately, at the moment they are crazy low on colors (?); you might write and ask when they'll be getting more in stock. DH feels like it's just a tad more substantial than the 100% linen. It's not quite as soft washed up--but, to be perfectly honest, I cannot reach into my stash and tell by touch what's washed linen, and what's washed linen/cotton.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<

Date: 3/7/14 2:34 AM

Get them swatches! And then wash and dry them a few times so you will know what you are dealing with.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Can this linen be used for a bathrobe?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 8874

photo
by: Sewlful

Review
Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Buy Now
Chloe Handbag

Chloe Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.