SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Juki 654: Delay in Starting to Serge? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki 654: Delay in Starting to Serge?
scottiechick
scottiechick
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 2:23 PM

Hello Everyone!

I just got my Juki 654 yesterday from Sewing Machines Plus!

Though, once I got it set up, I was a bit disappointed.

When I push the pedal, there's a 1-2 second delay, where I can hear the motor engaging, before it actually starts to serge. It also feels like the handwheel is really stiff when I turn it manually.

I have a Juki-made Bernina serger that has no delay between pushing the pedal and serging, and the handwheel turns more easily. The Bernina has had very light usage, so I don't think it's a case of being more worn in vs. new.

I'm wondering if others experience a delay like that in their 654s?

My other thought is that this machine has just sat new in the box for a while, and the oil is old. I oiled in the (only 2?!) recommended places from the manual, but no real improvement. I'm not really inclined to take it in for a service when it's brand new from the box.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I bought my Juki F600 last year from SMP, and I've had nothing but great experiences with my sewing machine, so I was expecting the 654 to be instant-serger-love which I'm not really feeling.

I wanted to check here to see if the delay or this performance of the 654 is normal before I call SMP to see about sending it in for a service or an exchange.

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 2:25 PM

I don't have any delay on mine. I would keep an eye on that, it doesn't sound good.

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to scottiechick <<

Date: 3/7/14 2:31 PM

I have the 654DE and definitely not a delay to start serging. The handwheel is stiffer than some sergers I've used but I wouldn't say it is stiff or hard to turn manually -- and I am turning it with my weaker/less sensitive right hand.

I do find that cleaning and oiling regularly keeps my Juki problem free -- you definitely shouldn't be having these problems "out-of-the-box".

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
49.75 yards sewn (as of 07/17/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/17/14)

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 3:42 PM

No that is not right, so don't even try to sew on it that way at all. Because if your motor is trying to turn and while the machine is not turning, then you could stress and burn out your motor or hurt something. I think you should just call them.

Maybe you just got some piece of packing styrofoam stuck in it someplace?

But the other kind of important reason you should just call them is,s just even that if a machine that gets mailed to you, gets dropped by shippers, and if that even only slightly bends up the metal shaft that a fly wheel is attached to and even makes it slightly hard to turn that way, that is just a permanent thing, and would never go away. In that case you want to let them know about it, as soon as possible, so they can collect the shipping insurance on it, instead even and get you one that works better, and you probably can't wait around for forever to do something like that.

Messenia
Messenia
Intermediate
Member since 12/22/12
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 4:54 PM

Quote: scottiechick
I just got my Juki 654 yesterday from Sewing Machines Plus!
...before I call SMP to see about sending it in for a service or an exchange.

Call them at once and let them know you're concerned. Whether it is a mnufacturing issue or shipping damage, they will want to know ASAP.
scottiechick
scottiechick
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 3/7/14 6:30 PM

Thanks everyone!

I wasn't expecting such fast replies!

I called SMP about 2 hours ago and let them know about the issue. They were super responsive and said that they would have me chat with a tech, as sometimes there's an adjustment that can be made to the handwheel (it being over-tightened at the factory), but they also said it wouldn't be a problem to exchange the machine if that didn't work.

I'm waiting for a call back from the tech now.

Hopefully it can all be resolved so that I'm happily serging away soon!

I'm just glad that I waited to sell my old Bernina serger!

I'll keep you all posted, but I've been impressed with SMP thus far.
-- Edited on 3/7/14 6:31 PM --

sewstitched
sewstitched
Intermediate
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 5:34 PM

My new Juki did exactly the same thing. A few drops of oil (should have come with your machine) applied as per the manual and everything was perfect.

scottiechick
scottiechick
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 6:19 PM

Thanks sewstitched!

Unfortunately, I think mine may be defective. I've oiled it and saw no real improvement. :(

I didn't get a call back from the technician yesterday, and he won't be back until Monday, so I'll have to try again then. But it looks like this one will likely end up going back as this seems like more than an adjustment to me.

I've noticed that the machine won't engage and start serging until the foot control/pedal is pushed past 1/2 way, but as soon as I start pressing the foot control, the machine starts to make a loud buzzing noise. It also has a lot of trouble going slowly.

On my Juki-made Bernina, I can easily control the speed and pretty much go one stitch at a time if I want to, and the machine starts moving as soon as I put pressure on the foot control.

Hopefully this can be resolved with SMP quickly.

sewstitched
sewstitched
Intermediate
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 6:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear that it's not an easy fix. Good luck and keep us posted.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 9:41 PM

I would see if the Bernina pedal fits and try it on the Juki.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Juki 654: Delay in Starting to Serge?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Indygo Junction IJ827

photo
by: Sew Nanny

Review
SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern

SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Buy Now
Butterick 5858

photo
by: Alpinebixb...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.