SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > good fabric for pants patches ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
good fabric for pants patches
rose mawhor
rose mawhor
Member since 3/7/14
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 0:08 AM

I've got a 10yo son that is CONSTANTLY ripping through the knees of his pants. I recently bought some heavy denim and patched a bunch of pants. He ripped through a couple of my patches already. What I'm wondering is what type of fabric could hold up to the constant abuse that my boy puts on the knees of his pants? Polyester or nylon? I'm thinking that if I can find something nearly indestructible I might make him a couple of new pairs.

Also, I've wondered if my technique is lacking. With the patch technique that I use I tear out one seam and then sew on a rectangle of fabric starting far over near the other seam of the leg. I then incorporate the rectangle into the seam as I sew it back up. I like this method because it looks nice and clean when it's done and if the patch matches well then it passes as being original. What do you think? Was my problem the denim or the technique?

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/8/14 0:19 AM

Little boys are murder on their knees. not a whole lot can take being slid around on pavement.

That said, you'll probably have better results if you fuse a piece of interfacing to the wrong side of the patch before you sew it on. (The whole piece, edge to edge.) Fusing to the trouser leg on side you patch from can also help. This is what I do for my trouser patching (well, I can't generally be bothered to undo a seam if I don't have to, but I'm not trying to make them look like new, I'm just trying to make working trousers last longer.)

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/8/14 9:50 PM

Nylon is more abrasion resistant.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

In reply to rose mawhor <<

Date: 3/9/14 0:33 AM

I always used to patch denim with denim. I think your technique of sewing on the patches is fine, and probably looks really nice. I like the interfacing idea, too. I think a 10-year-old would go through nylon before denim, though. I can't think of a tougher fabric, other than leather, and I doubt you want your 10-year-old running around in leather pants!

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 3/9/14 0:39 AM

You might want something really tough on those knees - I am thinking of the really strong but pliable stuff they use on the knees and bums of snowboarder's pants. Leather patches really wouldn't be out of the question, especially if you could find a source for recycling leather like an old coat or something.

Does your young fellow skateboard?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 3/9/14 12:07 PM

How about some ultra suede?

rose mawhor
rose mawhor
Member since 3/7/14
Send Message

Date: 3/9/14 12:37 PM

I've actually got a bunch of leather kicking around that I scavenged off an old couch that I found sitting next to a dumpster.It's bonded leather though so I'm not sure how well it will hold up. Keep the ideas coming. I 'definitely appreciate all the suggestions. I'm a dedicated scavenger so I don't always buy things new which means I don't always have first choice. It's nice to have multiple options.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 3/9/14 12:42 PM

Quote: tourist
You might want something really tough on those knees - I am thinking of the really strong but pliable stuff they use on the knees and bums of snowboarder's pants.

Like Cordura? What chew-proof dog beds are made of?

Here's some in dark blue on etsy, for $14.00/yard (they sell by the half yard; you'd get a lot of patches out of that!).

According to the description:

Quote: tourist
Products made with CORDURA® Classic fabrics feature enhanced tear and abrasion resistance, and long -lasting durability.

- PU coated on the back side for water resistance
- Stylish durability and exceptional strength-to-weight ratio
- Resistant to tears, scuffs and abrasions
- Designed for living, built to last
- Over forty five years of trusted rugged performance
- Made with solution dyed yarns are inherently stain resistant and easy to clean
- Air jet textured for high abrasion resistance

Great for use in luggage, backpacks and bags, pet and equestrian accessories, motorcycle gear, hunting and fishing gear

------
~Gem in the prairie

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 3/9/14 12:58 PM

stirwaters -yes! I think that is the stuff. Some of the toddlers I work with have it on their winter wear.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/9/14 1:35 PM

When my boys were little, I got their pants at Sears. Those outlasted at the knee better than any other brand....pants were reinforced inside the knee area with a second layer of fabric.

That worked until around the age of 11-12 and then they began to grow like bean sprouts and no longer needed pants with reinforced knees, just longer pants.

Canvas (like Carhartt) works well and maybe used as a reinforced backing at the knees would help. Denim is my second choice.

Kids are all grown-up but I still keep a stash of old jeans just in case there is a need for a adult patch here or there.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> good fabric for pants patches

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2007-117

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.