SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > 54 inch wide fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
54 inch wide fabric
how much to use
procraftinate
star
procraftinate
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

Date: 3/11/14 5:27 PM

I found a fabric on etsy that I am thinking of getting to make a dress, but there are only 2 yards available. The dress I want to make with it requires 1 7/8 yard of 60 inch wide or 2 5/8 yard. Will it be enough?
The only adustments I should need will be an SBA, and I can do a rolled hem instead of the 1 1/4 inch hem that pattern allows for.

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/11/14 8:22 PM

it's impossible to say. If you said what pattern and size you were making, someone might know. Many pattern layouts are wildly suboptimal.

The limiting factor in many patterns is whether you can get two of the widest piece side by side or, if they need to be shifted along the length. Also an issue is one way fabrics (with a nap) so the pieces have to be laid the same way, whether there are stripes or plaids to match, etc. If there's no stripe matching required, you can see if you can lay the pattern out in the 2 yards. (Also, if you're going to pre wash, don't forget to discount for shrinkage. )
If you can, you may be safe. If you can't, you know you aren't.

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/11/14 8:31 PM

Procraftinate - love your user name. Anyway, as dsheidt suggested (but elaborating on it slightly): take a piece of fabric you have, or even a blanket folded to the correct size, and lay it out to represent 2 yards by 54". Take the pieces from your pattern and see if you can get them all to fit - on grain, of course.

If your fabric has a pattern you want to match, it is unlikely that you will be able to do so with that amount of fabric.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/11/14 10:17 PM

fabric width conversion chartchart

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 6:49 AM

AnneM- what a terrific idea! Thanks!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

procraftinate
star
procraftinate
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 9:27 AM

That's a great idea AnneM but I was planning on saving it for the pattern stash contest (which I beleive is in July) I know in the past for pattern stash contests the patterns had to be uncut.

I am planning on making Simplicity 4070 either veiw D or E with contrasting accents.

Thanks for the chart diane! it looks like it should work!

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 11:04 AM

Well, you may not be able to cut the pattern tissue apart but you could get the general measurements of the skirt pieces to see how they might fit. Then just refold the tissue.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Dianne22
star
Dianne22  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 3/18/11
Send Message

In reply to procraftinate <<

Date: 3/12/14 12:58 PM

I think what they mean when they say "the pattern can't be cut" is that you may not cut out the pattern on the fabric you are going be using and that the pattern may not have been used previously. I don't think they mean that you can't cut the pieces apart to see if you have enough fabric to complete the project. It's just that the whole idea of the contest is to use a pattern that you have had for a while and haven't made up before. To be sure you aren't breaking any rules you could certainly send Depeeka an e-mail and ask. Of course, if it were me, I'd have to order the fabric if I really liked it and if it didn't work I'd have more fabric stash.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 1:03 PM

If I really liked the fabric, I would buy it. If the intended pattern won't fit, there may be another one that will.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

procraftinate
star
procraftinate
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 2:49 PM

I did order the fabric I think I should be able to make it work since it I won't have to do any matching.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> 54 inch wide fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Ottobre Design 03-2011-34

photo
by: A Beginner...

Review
McCall's 5974

photo
by: UglyCute

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.