SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > The Sewing Workshop ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
The Sewing Workshop
Liberty Shirt
AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 3/11/14 7:23 PM

Has anyone made this? I am wondering about the fit for a plus size person.

I bought the pattern a number of years ago when Linda Lee was a guest speaker at a local fabric store. I tried on a sample of the shirt back then and was surprised at how nice it looked. Of course now I can not remember what size I tried on or what size I was when I tried it on?

------
Ada

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/11/14 7:28 PM

No, but I've considered taking her Craftsy class, and she uses the Liberty shirt in that class. You are going to make me go buy that class now, lol. Go for it. I think it's a lovely shirt.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/11/14 7:39 PM

Thanks for the reminder; I took that class. Might be a good idea to review before I start to sew.

------
Ada

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 3/11/14 10:20 PM

That top is on the top of the pile for me. I find a lot of her things are drafted shorter than I like. I have abigger belly now, so I like a little extra coverage. I have heard that it is a slimmer fit than you would think from looking at the envelope.

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 8:26 AM

If you remember what fabric the shirt was made of email or call them and they will tell you what size it was. I've done that in the past and they were very helpful.

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 9:16 AM

I took the craftsy class with her, Sewing with silk using the Liberty shirt, and I love the blouse I made. I get lots of compliments on it, now I want to make one in linen for summer. I also made her Siena shirt last month with linen using the Siena and Cortona pattern, and love it also. I highly recommend them.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

DorothyK
starstarstarstar
DorothyK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 11:13 AM

The liberty shirt is one of their best patterns. Look at the reviews on PR. There are 17, with lots of good tips and comments.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to DorothyK <<

Date: 3/12/14 11:39 AM

Dorothy- thanks for suggesting a look thru the 17 Liberty Shirt reviews. To my eye the front looks short, especially compared to the pattern drawing. That comes much closer to the crotch break and on real people is is quite a few inches above. I'd add to the front and back length and it could always be shortened back in fitting. A number of reviewers mentioned the sleeves are long. So with long flowy sleeves, the body appears to me even shorter. Since I'm full busted, it may be I'm sensitized to tops coming up short in the front. I'd definitely be looking at that front/back length and relationship in a quick muslin.

Shams of the blog "Communing with Fabrics" reviewed her wonderful pullover version in knit. She put the front on the fold at the center front- very nifty idea. Another reviewer suggested it as a summer topper. The Liberty looks good on a number of people; I'd just add that it gives a slimming shape when the fabric is drapey and can collapse against the body. A crisp hand fabric will give more architectural form standing away from the body. Depends what you are aiming for in each version.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 11:48 AM

I did look at the reviews however there aren't any from a plus size women. I wondered if I should do a FBA?

After I posted this I went to communing with fabric blog because I remembered that sfshaza had made this top. Yep, I have to do an FBA.

------
Ada

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 3/13/14 8:53 AM

thanks wendyrb. I agree with you about that short front and the need for a drapey fabric. I will make a muslin. I keep thinking I can skip this step, but know that is a really bad idea.
In the directions Linda has you putting the hems in before you sew anything else. I think the front hem is going to hit me at the fullest part of my tummy. Not a good look for me.

------
Ada

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> The Sewing Workshop

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Japanese Pattern Books Pattern Magic

photo
by: meggipeg

Review
Vogue Patterns 8854

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.