SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Travel Fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Travel Fabric
Sites you can recommend?
j Renee Design
star
j Renee Design
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 7/26/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/12/14 3:19 PM

Hey all!

Going to Europe with one backpack and fiance for our honeymoon in a couple of months. I've started planning my wardrobe and know I want make at least 2 dresses and one skirt, all from knits, but I'm having a really tough time finding fabric with a pleasing hand that is fast drying. One backpack = lots of handwashing.

Can you recommend anywhere to look for performance knits, preferably ones that have a cotton-y feel, with spandex? I don't want to spend more than $15/yard. I ordered some swatches from Rockywoods and have found one fabric I think might work (a nylon/lycra blend) but it's a bit shinier than I'd like, and would really love to find something matte that's mostly synthetic (poly or nylon), maybe 10-20% natural (cotton or rayon) and around 5% lycra.

I've tried googling for such a fabric on the Internet and haven't come up with many results. I know this fabric exists SOMEWHERE because many of the travel dresses I've spotted have it (but the dress I really want, which I should've just bought last year, is no longer being made).

I know a poly knit (ITY, for instance) would dry quickly, but I just can't deal with the fact that it doesn't breathe very well. I want to be comfortable!

Any leads you all have would be much appreciated.

------
Jess
Sewing, Knitting, Living: http://www.sometimessewist.wordpress.com

2013 - Bought: 181, Used: 96, Stashed: 85
2014 - Carryover: 85, Bought: 88 1/8, Used: 96 3/8, Stashed: 77 3/4

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

In reply to j Renee Design <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/12/14 3:32 PM

Give RCT (Rose City Textiles/Fabricline) in Portland, OR, a call. Talk to Annette about swatches and your budget. They have fabulous technical fabrics and should be able to help you. Have fun!

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 3/12/14 8:23 PM

I poked around Vogue Fabrics and they have something called Sophia Double Knit which is 67% Polyester 30% Rayon 3% Spandex and $12.99 a yard, 60 inches wide. If you call or email they may have something even closer to what you want.

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/12/14 9:03 PM

How about Christine Jonson? I've not purchased fabric from her, but her travel patterns are great, so I imagine she carries fabric for them too. Check out the "essentials" fabric. Christine Jonson
Edited to add that I thought the $$ was within your range, but it looks like the prices are for a 1/2 yard. Watch that.
-- Edited on 3/12/14 9:10 PM --

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

In reply to j Renee Design <<

Date: 3/13/14 5:03 AM

I've bought several pieces of poly-lycra from this ebay vendor. It's inexpensive, has a nice hand, breathes, holds up reasonably well and dries quickly. And 2.5 yards is enough for me to make my favorite Butterick 5001 in the largest size, by way of illustration how far 2.5 yards will go. (BTW, I don't know this vendor, I just grabbed the first one who had the OOP pattern.)

Have fun on your honeymoon. If you'll be in the vicinity of Copenhagen and need/want ideas, feel free to contact me. :)

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 6:26 AM

Marcy Tilton (www.marcytilton.com) has great fabrics. They sometimes fall in your budget, but I've gotten great deals by buying their sale or endcuts. They're very helpful if you call, and ask if there's something around that isn't online.

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 8:17 AM

You may want to try Gorgeous fabrics. I am sure if you emailed/called Ann could give you some specific ideas.

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 9:42 AM

Cotton seersucker is a great travel fabric. It comes in all prints and weights, not just striped mens suiting. Great for a blouse, skirt, shorts, and slacks.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 10:27 AM

Have you tried Peak Fabrics online? They sell wicking and high performance fabrics.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/13/14 10:55 AM

This may be useful since performance/activewear fabrics have many of the same qualities as what you'd want for travel. Here's a list of activewear fabrics from Fehrtrade for global suppliers- meaning listed by location worldwide. I don't think The Rainshed is on this list. That's in Oregon and they have a wonderful list of fabrics with a swatching service. They're also helpful on the phone. I've just started reading the over 30 pages of the Activewear Sew Along and you might find more over there. The group is predominantly Australian, so they are sharing lots of local suppliers. More folks are joining from the US and elsewhere, so the resources may broaden further. There are also great ideas for patterns, creative variations and construction tips.

In your one little ol' backpack, a pair of thin stretchy leggings for an extra layer could be useful to change up your look and get a brisk walk in. Depends on your honeymoon style.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Travel Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2012-119

photo
by: rabitgrl

Review
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Buy Now
WhatNots

WhatNots

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.