SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Bug repellent fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bug repellent fabric
Is there such a thing?
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 2:47 AM

I need fabric that repells bugs. I walk my dog everyday on "wild" trails. As if worrying about the coyotes, snakes and mountain lion wasn't enough, I have to worry about bugs. Seems like the least of my worries but seriously I have at least 30 bug bites. I don't want to deet myself daily. Is there a comfortable fabric I can wear to prevent bug bites?

Thanks,
Itchy and Annoyed.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 4:14 AM

You want permethrin fabric treatment, you can use it on any fabric. It comes in a spray and I think a laundry additive. REI, Amazon and Walmart all have it, but I didn't check prices. I know the spray in the air is super toxic to cats, so be aware of that, but I think it's mostly ok once it's dry.

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 3/13/14 11:25 AM

Here's an article of interest. It's also the first time I've heard about it. Thanks for posting the question.

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts <<

Date: 3/13/14 11:38 AM

I have used this treatment on travel clothes before a camping trip and found that it was fairly simple.

I sprayed on the permethrin outdoors and let it dry. As I remember the treatment lasts 6 weeks and through washings.

I'm particular about the toxins I use, and after extensive reading felt OK about this one.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 3/13/14 12:25 PM

This is an interesting discussion. I just passed along the info to my flowerscaper. She is always tortured by the mosquitos. Can't wait to try it.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/13/14 2:21 PM

We each have two 'Bug Off' bandanas. (Hubbie also has a shirt that I found on clearance.). We attach the bandanas outside our regular clothing - tied around the neck or draped down the back, tied around a hat, etc. If one of us has an outside chore and the mosquitoes are swarming, that person arms up with all four bandanas - one tied around sock or pant leg at each ankle, one around neck and another tied around a hat.

We don't wear the bandanas against our skin. It may be okay, but who knows. Additional benefit is that they don't have to be washed often since there is no skin contact. I store them in ziplock bags between uses.

Before finding the 'Bug Off' bandanas we kept plain bandanas and 'work in the yard' overshirts that we sprayed.

We learned at the beach that biting flies do not like old time slick nylon. Anyone remember those old jogging suits? Is it that they can't grip the fabric to hold on? I don't know. All I know is that when the biting flies clear the beach we can put on our nylon pants and jackets and still have a beach day.
-- Edited on 3/13/14 3:14 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/13/14 2:43 PM

For those who want more info, here's the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency page on clothing factory-treated with permethrin.

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
ON CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

Date: 3/14/14 11:02 AM

I live in a bug shirt from blackfly season until the moskito season is over!

It is just a nylon zip-up jacket that includes a headcovering/hood that goes over any hat. It is made of sheer nylon, like we used to use as the top layer of nighties. The front of the hood is black because it is easier to see through.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/14/14 3:54 PM

I think bug barrier fabrics are a better choice in most situations that bug treated fabrics. Another tip is to roll the top of your socks over your pant legs so they can't crawl up your pants.
Same for waistbands. Tuck them in instead of leaving shirts loose outside- at least tuck in an under t. I would thrown any netting over my hat and tuck the edges inside an overblouse. And dont forget the gloves. Make cuffs long enough to pull over your sleeves.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 3/14/14 4:37 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I'm going to start by wearing long sleeves and tucking in my shirt and pants until I can get the right clothing/fabric treatment.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Bug repellent fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

McCall's M5095

photo
by: LOST_kitty...

Review
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.