SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Simplicity 1800: deceptive envelope photo? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Simplicity 1800: deceptive envelope photo?
GatorDenise
GatorDenise  Friend of PR
Member since 9/9/10
Send Message

Date: 3/19/14 4:39 PM

Hello, ladies! I love the look of Simplicity 1800, however I don't look good in empire-waist styles. When I look at the skinny girl on the pattern cover, the dress seems to fit her *just* above her natural waist. However, the line drawings, and all of the versions that have been reviewed here on PR, have a much higher waist - just under the bust.

In your opinion, would I be wasting my time to try to make this dress with the lower waist depicted in the photo? Is it just so low because she does not have a large bust? I'm a DDD on a good day, and I'd really like to avoid the maternity look. But I keep being drawn to this dress!!

Thank you for any opinions/advice you can give. And yes, I know..... try a muslin!

Denise

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 3/19/14 5:43 PM

I'm going to say it will be easier to find a different pattern with a lower waistline. The way the skirt is made is going to make lengthening the bodice throw the whole look off without a ton of adjustment at the top of the skirt portion.

It is a cute dress. I too always wish I could wear an empire waist, but they really just don't work for me either. I'm wide through the shoulders and chest and they me look preggers too.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to GatorDenise <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/19/14 5:53 PM

I'm another woman with big shoulders and too much chest upholstery. In high-waisted anything, I look like a small fullback in drag!
-- Edited on 3/19/14 5:54 PM --

GatorDenise
Member since 9/9/10
Send Message

In reply to Addierecoy <<

Date: 3/19/14 6:02 PM

I appreciate the input!

Denise

GatorDenise
Member since 9/9/10
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 3/19/14 6:02 PM

Thank you for the laugh!

Denise

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/19/14 6:12 PM

Could you lengthen the bodice after you did your FBA, or just stitch the pleats down to hip/waist level? Do you think that would work?

GatorDenise
Member since 9/9/10
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts <<

Date: 3/19/14 6:18 PM

I like the idea of trying it with stitched-down pleats! Thank you!

Denise

cherilindsey
cherilindsey  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/20/14 0:31 AM

I almost bought this pattern yesterday at Hancock's. So glad I didn't because I have the same shape as most of you.
Cheri

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Ovation
Babylock Elizabeth
Singer Fashion Mate 362
Singer Model 99

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/20/14 2:24 AM

If you even google "Simplicity 1800" and then choose images, everyone there in all of those photo's, no matter how tall or short or body type, does look to me, that their dress of it, has a lothigher of a waistline than the photo on the envelope. More about as high as the line drawings actually. So I think it's pretty much an empire waist on everyone else too. Except for that one model. I think I would just believe the line drawings. Those are what I always look at, way over any photo's at all.

But since it's a pattern and you sew it, anyone could have changed that anyplace, even the person whom sewed the one the model on the pattern is wearing actually.
-- Edited on 3/20/14 2:25 AM --

GatorDenise
Member since 9/9/10
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/20/14 8:50 AM

Thank you for confirming my observation about the pattern photo! So annoying to think they might adjust the pattern for the sample. If there's ever a time to sew it as drafted, that would be the time!

Well, to any large-busted ladies who are considering this pattern, I just may give it a muslin to see if the waist can be lowered without destroying the lines of the dress. I'll report back, success or failure! : )

Denise

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Simplicity 1800: deceptive envelope photo?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Butterick 4957

photo
by: LM2HYD

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2009-117

photo
by: poppykettl...

Review
Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.