SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Vogue 8904 -- The Shingles Knot Dress ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vogue 8904 -- The Shingles Knot Dress
How Can I sew an Inexpensive Muslin
kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

Subject: Vogue 8904 -- The Shingles Knit Dress Date: 3/24/14 2:44 PM

The Knit Shingle Dress

I really would like to TRY to make this dress. It was voted one of the Best Patterns of 2013. I have seen it in the stores and just love it.

But it is a fabric hog. How could I make a knit muslin that doesn't already cost $25? Should I just go ahead and make it and then make adjustments?

-- Edited on 3/24/14 2:53 PM --

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/24/14 3:00 PM

Where do you typically run into problems? For me, it's usually the shoulder area that gives me problems, so sometimes I'll only muslin the upper bodice to check that fit before I commit to making the entire dress. You could also cut 1" seam allowances to allow for more wiggle room, so to speak.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 3/24/14 4:11 PM

That pattern is a sheath dress with layers on top of it. So make just the base layer and see how it fits.

Then again, you can just dive in & rely on the forgiveness of your knit fabric to help with any fitting issues1

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/24/14 4:43 PM

Sorry I don't recall who this was, but someone tried it out as a tee before they sewed it as a dress. Seems like a good way to check the fit before you commit (ha, that's a poem!)

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 3/24/14 4:43 PM

Read the reviews. They always help me determine what alterations I would need.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 3/24/14 4:44 PM

Here it is, styled as a top

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Subject: Vogue 8904 -- The Shingles Knit Dress Date: 3/24/14 6:02 PM

I read the reviews before I posted.
I have a big difference between my bust and hips (pear shape) and I kind of wanted to see if I could be comfortable with how this style looked on me before I used a nice knit.

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<

Date: 3/24/14 6:22 PM

I think it would good on a pear shape, since you can make the under layer slightly more fitted to help smooth things out, and the layers will act as camo, and the angles keep your eye moving.JMHO

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/24/14 6:58 PM

The cheapest test sew or muslin is really no test sew or muslin at all.

If you are bold, I never make muslins and never did at all either really.

And probably not much point of doing a test sew, or a muslin since it's for stretch fabric with spandex or lycra in it, unless really both your test sew fabric and real garment fabric even both have lycra spandex stretch in them the very same and matched up quite well to each other and really stretched exactly the same amount up and down and cross wise too. Just since all knits are kind of different from each other. You could just do it with the only under layer though.

If you know your hips are much larger pattern size than the rest of you though, you could also just cut it all out from the get go, so that every thing from top of hips down is several sizes larger. And then just more blending up into the waist and bust. Also they do have measurements on there. And you can measure the actual underlayer pattern pieces. And you can even hold them up to you, in front of a mirror first.

It is kind of a straight up and down dress though, so I think made as is, they figure your bust is going to be pretty close to your hips in inches going around. If it's just not, and you don't want a lot of that taken up with the dress just stretching more on you someplace, and being tighter and even more body fitting there, then maybe you do have to even cut it out with a wider hem and more of a slight A-line shape to it instead.

I have been a pear before, even though I'm not anymore, and not right now.

carrie18584
star
carrie18584  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/25/14 8:27 AM

I've made this pattern as a top and as a dress quite a few times...the pattern has negative ease so you'll primarily want to check the fitting through the body. I agree with others that it would be a good idea to make a dress from the base layer...which won't take too much fabric.

I've found that you don't need as much fabric as they recommend on the package. I cut out each shingle individually, especially when using stripes, to make sure it's on the grain, and it saves a ton of fabric. I made a line perpendicular to the grainline, place that perpendicular line directly on a stripe, and cut out each piece individually. It makes the stripes matching really easy and it goes super fast - just remember to cut out one piece with the pattern 'up' and the other with the pattern 'down' on the fabric!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Vogue 8904 -- The Shingles Knot Dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-118

photo
by: Sigrid.

Review
Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Favorite Things An Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.