SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Help me find this tailor's notion ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help me find this tailor's notion
I have only ever seen this at Greenberg and Hammer in NYC (closed since 2011)
ladybirdlove
star
ladybirdlove
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/27/14 7:00 PM

I'm looking for a special tailor's chalk, let me describe it because the technical term for it escapes me:

It is two plastic caps that resemble a little seam ripper. In one of the caps is a pin, in the other the "female" end that the pin fits into. In the caps is chalk where the pin meets the plastic and also on the female side. The idea is that you can mark where you need to take in seams while fitting someone without actually pinning up the side seams- you just pinch the fabric together and stick the pin through it and catch the pin in the female end on the backside. When you pull the contraption apart, you are left with a little chalk mark on the fabric front and back as to where the seam adjustment should be made, rather than having to leave pins from armpit to waist on the poor person you are fitting and have them spill blood trying to remove the garment.

Thanks to anyone who can assist with this- I am primarily making dresses for 8 year-olds these days and would rather not prick anybody (or be sued).

and yes I'm still sewing despite my lack of blogging for 2 years. I miss you ladies and gents.
-- Edited on 3/27/14 7:01 PM --

------
http://storyofecouture.blogspot.com/

PatternTrade
yahoo groups: Patterntrade
Spread the Love

Yardage In:
2008 - lost track in October at about 150
2009 - it's all good.

Ellarose
Ellarose
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/14 7:10 PM

I know the "thingy" your referring too.
I used to have one, but used it for marking dots on pattern pieces ie darts. Like you I haven't seen them for ages but if my memory serves me right they were either made by Dritz or Clover.
Unfortunately here in the UK were not able to get sewing stuff like you can in the states and have lost count of the amount of things bought never to been seen again.
If you do find out anywhere they are still sold would love to know as it was a brilliant little gadget

kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

Subject: Help me find this tailors notion Date: 3/27/14 7:13 PM

I had one of these, too. I really loved it, but who knows where went to?

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

Ellarose
Ellarose
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/22/13
Send Message

Date: 3/27/14 7:21 PM

I have a picture of the thing I think you mean but unfortunately don't know how to post it here, but, it was definitely made by Ditz

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/27/14 7:53 PM

This is probably it, but I don't think I have seen anything like that for a very long time.

Just even by the artwork on package and fonts and such, that may have been more in the 1970's-80's even, I'm not sure.

But I don't think chalk goes bad at all, so if you even find an old one someplace, the chalk is probably still good.

Someone had that one up on etsy at one point, and I found it by just google/images, but the real one is I think long gone on that, and photo just held in a sever someplace now, as I don't real easy see it there anymore either.
-- Edited on 3/27/14 7:57 PM --
-- Edited on 3/27/14 7:58 PM --

plumfan
star
plumfan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 1/8/13
Send Message

Date: 3/27/14 8:16 PM

I wonder if someplace like Richard the Thread would have it. I read a review of the place not long ago and it sounded like a place that carries hard-to-find notions.

------
Stash in as of Feb. 1, 2014 - 43
2014 Items finished for me - 12
2014 Items for others - 9
Approximate yardage used - 40

blythebyname
blythebyname
Beginner
Member since 1/23/13
Send Message

In reply to ladybirdlove <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/14 10:09 PM

What Beauturbo posted is currently available on ebay. It's called a "Tailor Tacker with a Pattern Perforator." Here's the ebay link. It's only up for auction for 1 more day! (Hope that helps--I'm not familiar with this tool, but I really like doing online searches for hard-to-find things )

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Subject: Help me find this tailors notion Date: 3/27/14 11:30 PM

I had those too, but can't find them anymore.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Sharonspils
starstar
Sharonspils  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New South Wales Australia
Member since 5/16/07
Send Message

Date: 3/27/14 11:39 PM

Yes I have one of those as well and when I found a few packs in a fabric store a few years ago I made sure I purchased them all as I hadn't seen them for a while a that time. I use these all the time for any tailors tacks, works perfectly!

------
Sharon
Sydney, Australia
http://petiteandsewing.blogspot.com/

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Help me find this tailors notion Date: 3/28/14 0:53 AM

OK, I'll go totally off the reservation here, but have you tried marking with Crayola Washable fine-line markers? They make a fine line but still wash out.
From my experience, 8-yr-olds will actually like it if you write on their clothes...or skin, but I suppose you should test on your own skin first to make sure it comes off!
I mark first with a pin through more than one layer, then use the marker to mark alongside the pin and take the pin out.
-- Edited on 3/28/14 0:58 AM --

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Help me find this tailor's notion

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Butterick 5606

photo
by: kadythered...

Review
Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now
Butterick 5824

photo
by: Pamaro

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.