SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Babies coming, Babies coming! : ) ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babies coming, Babies coming! : )
Post your fave embroidered (or not) projects
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 7:38 PM

For you family tree buffs- my 1st cousin has 2 married sons. Each of the wives is pregnant and due in August and September. I don't know what the name is for that relationship except happy.

I've seen terrific baby projects on different PR boards- quilting, embroidery, or for a specific machine. How helpful to collect and be able to see them in one place, like here. For sure we can count on more babies coming along; what a rich resource this can be to welcome our little ones into the world.

Let's be inspired by your fantastic diaper bags, diaper covers, burp cloths, bibs, quilts and on and on. Please post what you're working on now and even re-post photos of your past creations.

Practical tips are wanted too. Do you have favorite super soft fabrics, backings, things that wash especially well and methods that stand up to childhood? I'm an embroidery novice and that aspect is so appealing.

My own baby girl is 23 and not thinking babies now. Whew! These folks are closer to 30 and are a new generation of wonderful parents. I think these families will truly appreciate a handmade or personally embellished baby gift.

Thanks in advance.

PS I recall a gorgeous pullover sweater I made on my knitting machine for my 6-month old daughter. I wouldn't say I knew a lot about babies. I didn't completely factor in DD's "big, fat baby head". I nearly had her in tears at the 1st try on. In short order I opened the shoulder seam then refinished it with buttons and loops. Happy ending.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 8:12 PM

Diaper bag I made and basket of embroidered burps, bibs and other baby goodies that I posted previously.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 8:17 PM

A couple of quilts and hooded towels. Yes, I have lots of little grandchildren.

------
Patricia
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Sew Nanny <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 8:23 PM

See what I mean? Inspiring and practical and immediate gratification! Oh that adorable bunny!!! All great and thanks. No joking you have the perfect name- Sew Nanny.

A few newbie questions-
* Did you make all the items from scratch, like the bibs and diaper covers? If not and you bought them- where should I go for the same? If you did make them, I'd like to learn how. What fabrics and suppliers do you like?

* Any particular patterns, like the diaper bag? Patterns for anything else?

I don't mean to bury you with an avalanche of requests. You can point me to a site and I'll sift thru. That will be fun.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/3/14 8:43 PM

Thanks, Wendy. The bibs are blanks I bought on eBay a few years ago, but there are several online stores that sell blanks. The diaper covers I made from scratch with PUL and FOE I bought from Babyville Boutique. I lucked up and found some Babyville PUL fabric on clearance at Walmart. I used their pattern but also have a diaper cover pattern from Sew Baby. The diaper bag pattern is Butterick 4560. The bunny is also a Sew Baby pattern called Blankie Buddy. That should be enough info to get you started.

------
Patricia
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Sew Nanny <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 9:00 PM

You are a fount of info on all things for baby!

Quote:
That should be enough info to get you started.
Ya think?

I just learned what PUL is.
Quote:
Waterproof, breathable, food safe
OK? It's all purpose, both a diaper and a bib (food safe)? Sounds like a skit for Saturday Night Live. I think I get what they mean. Scrinches up nose.

Is there anything to know about PUL fabric? Like, does quality vary? There is a Fabric Outlet near my house and their stuff spans cheap to high end designer cuts. They have a barrel with PUL. Is there anything to look for or avoid?

------

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 4/3/14 9:39 PM

This was my first experience using PUL, so I don't know much about it. My 830LE didn't like sewing it at all, but my CB hook machines handled it fine. I'm not any help as far as quality -- sorry.

------
Patricia
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/3/14 9:46 PM

I made a diaper clutch/changing pad from a tutorial. I saw on youtube. It is so cool because everything you need for a diaper change is in it. You just grab it instead of the entire diaper bag.

the tutorial
Diaper changing pad tutorial

here is mine

burp cloths, so easy and so fun to decorate!

------
Cathryn

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/3/14 9:56 PM

I never found a lot of variance in quality of PUL. I made a LOT of diapers for my grandson!

If you need it to stay waterproof, like for diapers, use a small needle and polyester thread. (cotton thread wicks moisture-just what you do NOT want to happen with a diaper around all the edges!)

It is a bit stretchy. There is also laminated cotton, NOT like the thick tablecloth kind of laminated but polyurethane laminated. I do not like this as much for diapers because it does not stretch.

------
Cathryn

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 4/3/14 10:41 PM

Oh goody, goody, goody! Burp cloths- made from scratch by you? Cute as can be. So, I can go over to your Applique thread and learn how to do the extra great embellishments for everything, right? I much prefer how you made the diaper bag flap an arc with a modified corner compared to the rounded video version. Cat, it's very well thought out in all the details, thus saving me a lot of trouble. Thank you.

I like how useful this set up is and I had a sorta funky version of this when my Avril was little. I had no changing table at home in our teensy "cottage"; living in a city I had a small umbrella stroller- no place for a big stocked diaper bag. I even forgot it once- mother brain! So I vowed to live lightly and packed a few things- not nearly as nice as this though. The folks at Britex knew us well from our many diapering breaks on their carpet with my little quilted pad. They were nice about it and after all I did buy fabric.

I've forgotten a lot about babies in the ensuing 23 years from the arrival of our Avrily. However, no way I'd forget the time I locked DD in the car on a sunny day. I had the key in my hand and I shut the car door only to discover I had my key chain, but no car key. That darn key went somewhere very special. My neighbor had a key, but was preoccupied since his partner was in labor and having a home birth. We managed to get the car open and DD needed a diaper change. You can guess where the key had fallen. I recall thinking all mothers were so together and wondering why I had such glitches.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Babies coming, Babies coming! : )

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Butterick 5753

photo
by: norsk

Review
Simplicity 2337

photo
by: Diahn

Review
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

More Info
De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.