SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > serging knits - loops off the cut edge ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
serging knits - loops off the cut edge
brand new 1034D set up?
Tina Lou
star
Tina Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 6/14/11
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 1:52 PM

I just set up my Brother 1034D and threaded it successfully - yay! I've left the settings that it came with, and was able to get a nice edge with my own cotton muslin (lower sample in the photo). However, the loops do not hug the cut edge when I try to serge a knit. The 'Y's' on the back are not perfectly balanced; is this a hint of something amiss? I can't find anything online that suggests how, or if, knit settings need to be different from wovens. I would think they might be, but I don't know how. Other than this, the finish is nice; there's no seam distortion; I'm very pleased with my new tool!

I hope the attached works:

click here

Thanks!
-- Edited on 4/6/14 1:53 PM --

------
Tina

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 2:11 PM

Experiment with the stitch width or move the blade to the right so not so much fabric is cut off.

Be sure you are not stretching the knits as you serge.

Also the stitch length looks shorter on the knit. Maybe lengthen it.

What is your differential feed set at?

-- Edited on 4/6/14 2:12 PM --

Wino
star
Wino
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/24/06
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 2:38 PM

There is a trouble shooting section in the manual with some pictures. You probably need to adjust the tension.

------
wino

Ms. McCall
star
Ms. McCall  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA
Member since 3/2/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/6/14 3:44 PM

You will most likely need to check the settings for most fabrics you intend to serge and adjust slightly each time. When I cut my fabric I keep scraps to test serging on. Remember to test with the same number of layers of fabric that you'll be serging.

Once I get the settings looking good, I make a little rectangular sample and staple it to an index card with the settings written on there. Next time I have a similar fabric, I start with those settings.

From the picture you posted, I would suggest tightening up the upper and lower loopers by the same amount. So if they're both at 4 right now, see what about 4.2/4.3 looks like. Usually a small difference is all that's required.

------
BrownPaperPattern.blogspot.com

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 3:46 PM

I don't have this machine but I have a BL protege which is very similar. What works best for me is 4 4 3 3 on the tensions. Hope this will help you.

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

Tina Lou
star
Tina Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 6/14/11
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 8:27 PM

Thanks all for sharing your expertise. Sewsally, I don't think my machine allows me to move the knife, but while I was looking around underneath, I saw that the stitch finger was removable. So, out it came, and these are the results (all other settings are machine defaults) This is more along the line of what I would expect. Odd that it's not needed on wovens, though; and the manual only discusses removing it in the instructions for rolled hem.

There's a small mis-stitch that the pin is pointing at; any clue what that might be?

http://www.friendsofpr.com/NL6057/nofinger.jpg

Thanks again!

------
Tina

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 8:52 PM

Adjust the differential feed so the knit is not being stretched as it is being serged. When the knit relaxes, it tends to shrink away from the thread.

Skipped stitches can indicate new needles are needed, or the left needle is not sitting higher than the right needle, as it should.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Tina Lou
star
Tina Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 6/14/11
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 4/6/14 9:05 PM

I will check out the differential next; thanks for this suggestion PattiAnn. My sample cuts do seem to be a little bit stretched along the serged edge.

Since the machine is brand new, I can't imagine that I'd need new needles already - it came with Schmetzes, and they appear to be installed correctly, but I will double-check.

Serging is a new frontier for me; I'm so glad that others have led the way!

------
Tina

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Tina Lou <<

Date: 4/6/14 9:21 PM

I had this serger. Did you take the stitch finger off? You should leave that on. The needles probably need changed. When I got mine, I had trouble-can't remember the problem but it was fine after I changed the needles. Check the differential and tension on the loopers. There is a trouble shooting page in the back of the book and that will help. You might also need to loosen your foot pressure (the knob on the top). HTH

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 0:36 AM

I do have this machine, the 1034D, and I got it to replace my old Janome serger that was becoming hard on my eyes to thread. From the get go I had loops at the edge with the factory settings. I got a tip from PattiAnnJ to widen the stitch, so I increased it to 6 instead of the factory 5. Wow, from there I rarely have to change it, except of course for knits I need to experiment with the differential feed to ensure the fabric lays flat after serging. On specialty or thin fabrics, I might have to adjust the upper and lower looper tensions. For most fabrics my settings are like this:

Left needle 4 - factory suggested setting.
Right needle 4 - factory suggested setting.
Upper looper 5 (one up from factory)
Lower looper 5 (one up from factory)
Differential feed - 1.0, unless sewing knits, then usually 1.75 - 2.0
Length 3 - factory setting
Width 6 (one up from factory)

These settings on my 1034D are perfect for me for most wovens, and then just change the differential feed for knits. If the loops hang over the edge, adjust your loopers higher. If the edges curl under, decrease your looper settings. Don't despair, you have a good machine there!

-- Edited on 4/7/14 0:38 AM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> serging knits - loops off the cut edge

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Butterick 5402

photo
by: neon8tl

Review
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2012-118

photo
by: twinkle72

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.