SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Simplicity 2146 excess fabric tummy area ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Simplicity 2146 excess fabric tummy area
saraatkin
saraatkin
Beginner
Member since 6/21/12
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 4:48 PM

Hi I am an complete beginner and could do with some advice. I have made a muslim of Simplicity 2146. I have already made some adjustments - petite adjustments so waist and hips are in the right place. Graded the pattern on the waistline between sizes 4 and 6 to ensure waist not too tight. Overall I am happy with the fit with one exception. There is excess fabric over the tummy area that bubbles. I suspect that I need to take the side seams in from below the waist right down over the hips and through to the hem. As it's a princess seam though I just wanted to check that it's not the two middle seams i need to adjust. It's taken me 2 muslins and several weeks to get to this point and I'm feeling a little dispirited. Here are some photos:
Sew Petite Blog

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to saraatkin <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/6/14 5:29 PM

It's hard for me to see the photos, they are very dark. How does the bust fit? Could the "bubble" be from bust issues?

saraatkin
saraatkin
Beginner
Member since 6/21/12
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 5:33 PM

I know it's really hard to see from the photos as the fabric is so dark and shiny. The top of the dress fits perfectly so don't believe there are any issues there. It's waist down that the problems start. There is definitely excess fabric that I can grab from the waist down through the hips (probably a good half inch each side.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to saraatkin <<

Date: 4/6/14 6:53 PM

Quote:
There is definitely excess fabric that I can grab from the waist down through the hips (probably a good half inch each side

You might be able to take the seams in a smidge but don't forget this is a woven dress and you have to have some ease to be able to sit without straining or ripping seams out. If you haven't already I'd suggest that you sit in the dress (wear the undergarments that you'd wear w/the dress) before you try to take anything in.

Debbie

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 4/6/14 7:49 PM

I think the issue is the difference between the two fabrics. Is the center fabric a knit by any chance?

saraatkin
saraatkin
Beginner
Member since 6/21/12
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 3:43 AM

Ease is defintely not a problem as there is a lot of extra fabric I can grab and pull at the sides. I've used a crepe backed satin - the satin for the back and front sides and then the crepe side for the front middle section.

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 5:22 AM

I think that I would undo the two front seams thill about the waist and see what to want to hang like when you put on the dress. It looks as ig the two frondseams are kind of rounded

saraatkin
saraatkin
Beginner
Member since 6/21/12
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 6:12 AM

It's funny you say that Quickie - I was just looking at the pattern and the front seams definitely go outwards towards the sides of the body they are not designed to frop vertically towards the floor. Could this be the problem?

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 6:23 AM

I think Quickie hit on a good idea. The fabric in the panel looks very different from the side fabric. They may behave quite differently. I would unseam the vertical panel up to where it gets bulky. Then let it hang on a hanger for a day or so. After that put it on and let the fabric tell you where to resew it. If it still doesn't have a nice flat drape then I would unseam the sides and see if that helps.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

saraatkin
saraatkin
Beginner
Member since 6/21/12
Send Message

Date: 4/7/14 7:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It's interesting to note that I have used for same piece of fabric for both the panels (I just used the reverse for the middle section).

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Simplicity 2146 excess fabric tummy area

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Butterick 4957

photo
by: LM2HYD

Review
Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
brerrabbit.com Sophia

photo
by: Ghainskom

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.