SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Juki F600 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki F600
Big cones of thread
busybee1952
busybee1952  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/12/06
Send Message

Date: 4/10/14 4:40 PM

I am considering spending a great deal of money on this machine which will cost almost as much as my car! I've read the reviews and am thoroughly impressed with the F600 but I have a couple of questions. Not sure I like how the thread goes in. What if you want to use big cones of thread? Also, with the box feed system, why does one need a walking foot attachment? Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences with the F600 because it really helps people like me who can only make a purchase like this once in a lifetime.

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to busybee1952 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/10/14 4:48 PM

For the larger cones of thread my mom has to use a thread stand like this one.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/10/14 4:58 PM

I'd like to know where to get a car that costs as much as an F600. Most cars these days cost as much as a Bernina 880, a Janome 15000, Pfaff creative sensation™ pro or a Viking Designer Diamond Royale™ or more...

Seriously, though, the Juki is worth your investment.
-- Edited on 4/10/14 5:13 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/10/14 4:58 PM

I must be missing something here - F600 and manual.

This looks pretty much like another modern sewing machine and sells for just under $1,500. I have seen hooptie cars for that price. Some people love their hooptie car.

A thread stand will take care of any issues with using cones instead of spools.

It would appear the box feed systems works only for the bottom layer of fabric and not the top, which the walking foot would do.

-- Edited on 4/10/14 5:02 PM --

------
“I don’t give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think it’s Hell.” — Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

busybee1952
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/12/06
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/10/14 5:20 PM

You must think of used 10-20 year old cars since that's all I've ever been able to afford. I currently drive a 1998 Buick Skylark which cost me $2,600 including repairs, 3 years ago. It will go another 150,000 miles yet, I'm sure.
-- Edited on 4/10/14 5:24 PM --

busybee1952
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/12/06
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/10/14 5:29 PM

I thought of the thread stand idea but it doesn't look like you could get it to stand in a place where it would still line up with the internal threading places and you would have to keep the cover open which might cause friction on the thread. Since I've no chance of seeing a machine like this in person, I'm having trouble picturing it. I guess it I'll figure it out since I just ordered my very own F600 from Ken's.
-- Edited on 4/10/14 6:00 PM --

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

Date: 4/10/14 5:38 PM

Quote: busybee1952
I thought of the thread stand idea but it doesn't look like you could get it to stand in a place where it would still line up with the internal threading places and you would have to keep the cover open which might cause friction on the thread. Since I've no chance of seeing a machine like this in person, I'm having trouble picturing it.

The setup is to have the thread stand to the right of the machine so that the thread travels directly over where the spool pin is, and yes, the cover does need to stay open, but that would be the case for a large spool of thread in any case. We haven't had any thread breakage or issues with this setup. Hope that helps! (and I totally get your car comment, I like to run them into the ground myself and consider it a matter of principle not to have car payments)

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

rttai
star
rttai
Intermediate
NE
Member since 1/12/14
Send Message

Date: 4/10/14 6:06 PM

I use a simple thread stand with my F600, and have no issues with the cover being open. Congrats on ordering your machine...I hope you will like it as much as I like mine.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 4/10/14 8:09 PM

Congratulations on your new machine! You must let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

Twenty five years ago we bought a 10 year old Cadillac. Three days after we bought it some fool without insurance crossed our path while driving and it was repaired though it should have been totaled(insurance thing). I drove it for another 10 years until my children were growing out of car seats and this car did not have shoulder belts in back and shims were falling out of the bodywork when I opened the passenger door. I would have loved to restored the car and still be driving if it had been perfect. I'm lucky to have a husband who can do anything mechanically-related with cars. He's not ready to give up the Mazda pickup we bought in 1986!

busybee1952
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/12/06
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 4/11/14 7:05 AM

I always win "oldest car in the parking lot" wherever I go. Can't afford car payments and accompanying insurance costs. It costs enough for plates, tires, general maintenance and gas these days! I have a White 3100 Stylemaker sewing machine that I bought in about 2006 and it has some very cool features for the price I paid for it. (under $300.) I make a lot of blue-jean quilts and like to topstitch over all the seams to make them durable for the grandkids. I've probably made at least 20 of them with the White machine, a few of them Queen and King size. I've made several upholstery weight totes, sewn many cushion covers, tops, and jean hems. The machine has served me well and it still works! Another reason why I was hesitant to spend the money. However, my stitch quality has decreased on this machine and I really like the time-saving features of the automatic thread cutter, needle threader, and knee lift of the F-600. I still have a ton of projects I want to do and I do mending and alterations for others on almost weekly basis while still working full time. I'll get my money's worth out of the F600, no doubt, but it's scary to spend that much money on one thing and have the resulting credit card debt for it in today's economy. It feels like a very big step for me. The reviews here were really helpful in making my final decision to take the plunge and I really appreciate that everyone took the time to record their thoughts. I figure I can't really go wrong!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Juki F600

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.