SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Ms. Velvet Cake's order...IGNORED! Beginners; USE A STRAIGHT STITCH ON KNITS. ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ms. Velvet Cake's order...IGNORED! Beginners; USE A STRAIGHT STITCH ON KNITS.
LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 24 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 0:10 AM

Apparently a pattern designer has "ordered" (all in caps, no less!) one of our very experienced and knowledgable PR members to "DON'T TELL BEGINNERS TO USE A STRAIGHT STITCH ON KNITS".

Well. I too am an experienced sewer, and in particular with knits.

When I use a sewing machine on knits, I use a straight stitch. Always have; always will.

And it's what I advise sewers to use, beginners or not.

So, Ms. Velvet... to you.

------
I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 1:40 AM

That's very interesting, Lynn, because I've been told to use a slight zigzag (or serger) and I don't like using a zigzag. What length stitch do you use and how do you avoid stitches popping?

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to RynV <<
thumbsup 23 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 1:45 AM

Quote:
how do you avoid stitches popping?
Her secret is a steady diet of Slimfast Meal Bars.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/14 1:54 AM

LOL! I can tell you, however, that she has been known to eat real food from time to time. I have seen her doing so on quite a few occasions!

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 1:56 AM

LOL!!! Not that the damn things do me any good. Could be all the chicken fried steaks with mash tats and gravy that lelliebunny's referring to.

------
I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

lelliebunny
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to RynV <<

Date: 4/11/14 2:02 AM

I'm obviously not Lynn, but I use my straight stitch default stitch length of 2.5, and I have only had an issue once on a sleeve hem (I hadn't figured out my coverstitch on my evolution yet). I've done 15 or 16 shirts made from knits including Ponte Roma, fleece, jersey, and both cotton & cotton/poly interlocks.

I don't like doing construction on my serger (seams seem less secure to me), so I save the serger for seam finishing and coverstitching.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

lelliebunny
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/14 2:02 AM

And the fish & chips we gotta go back to that place when the weather is better!

------

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to RynV <<
thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 2:10 AM

Actually a lot of seriously expert knit sewers use a straight stitch, from the late great Ann Pearson onwards.

Especially for beginners, I find a zz too difficult. It's tough sewing a straight line with a non-straight stitch; it's tough pressing a nice straight seam when it's sewn with what is, in effect, a crooked stitch, and it's far more difficult for the machine's feed dogs to feed knits through smoothly & evenly with a zz than with a ss.

Most the knit experts who use a straight stitch prefer a stitch length of 3.0 to 4.5; I personally use a 2.5 length for rayon/lycra and silk/lycra knits, and a 3.0 - 3.5 for heavier knits or those without lycra.

I've never had stitches pop. If the garment is a reasonable fit (too large is as bad as too small; both can cause excess seam stress), your thread tension is balanced, and you take care not to distort the fabric, you shouldn't have any popping.

On the contrary, I wish they would, lol! I have 3 knit tops I still wear almost weekly; sewed them 8 years ago when my old serger was in the shop for several weeks, and the damn things just refuse to wear out!

------

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 4/11/14 2:13 AM

Oh...right...forgot about the fish & chips (Pajo's, for the BC folk; if you haven't pigged on them yet, what the heck are you waiting for??! )

------

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/11/14 3:41 AM

This is fantastic news for someone who wants to sew more quality knits but doesn't want to take the risk of completely ruining expensive fabric by using the serger inappropriately. I mainly use it like you, to finish seams and coverstitch but I've never been thrilled with it for seam construction. I really thought the rule for sewing machines and knits was you had to use a zigzag stitch, otherwise the machine, or the fabric, would spontaneously combust. And all this time I could have done what I wanted to do all along and use a straight stitch. Thank you, ladies, for ridding me of the zigzag knit police in my head (and Mother, wherever you are, you were right all along).

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Ms. Velvet Cake's order...IGNORED! Beginners; USE A STRAIGHT STITCH ON KNITS.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.