SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Juki F600 vs. Bernina 530/550? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki F600 vs. Bernina 530/550?
Do you own both? Have used both?
scottiechick
scottiechick
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/22/09
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/12/14 10:20 PM

Hello everyone!

I currently have a Juki F600 that I've been enjoying since last February, but I'm looking at potentially purchasing a Bernina 530 because of the wonderful feet and I really like that you can save over the default stitch settings on the 530.

The biggest thing I'd miss is the thread cutter, but I can live without it. I would also most likely keep the F600 for at least a year before selling, to make sure I like the 530 (so I wouldn't need to sell/trade the Juki for the purchase).

I've searched some threads and seen that some folks own both the Juki and the Bernina 530/550 (or have in the past), and I was hoping to get some opinions comparing and contrasting the two. Which do you like better?

Is the needle penetration power better on one than the other?

Does the Juki feed better than the Bernina? The dealer said that the Bernina had box feed as well, so I'm curious. I didn't notice the feed being any better or worse, but test sewing scraps isn't the same as working on a project on the machine.

I've test driven the 530 pretty extensively at different dealers over the last 2 weeks, and would love if anyone could weigh in!

I just haven't been able to decide if making the change will be worth it for the feet and memory upgrades.

I do think the Bernina's fit and finish is better than the Juki, but the Juki has great results, so I certainly can't fault it.

I've pretty easily gotten the dealer I like down to $2299 via price match (and from their ease of response, I think there's even more wiggle room for them), and am thinking of asking my favorite dealer to throw in a walking foot to seal the deal.

I've also ordered a Viking SE ankle for the Juki, to test out some Viking feet, to see if that will help dampen my lust for the Bernina. :P
-- Edited on 4/12/14 10:22 PM --

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 4/12/14 10:50 PM

Have you considered a Bernina 560 and adding the embroidery unit now or later. I wouldn't sell the F600, it is a nice machine and you could use it for backup. I love my 530 5.5 mm machine, no problems whatsoever.

eta: Have you read the "Bernina Made to Create Love Thread"?
-- Edited on 4/12/14 10:54 PM --

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

Date: 4/12/14 11:09 PM

I don't have either machine, but I have a Bernina 380 and I love the feet! You can change them with one hand. I change feet for every seam if i need/want to. The Bernina Feet are exceptionally made for the job, they do the job they are made for beautifully, and often other jobs. I use the walking foot regularly on the 380, primarily because I can change it in and out so fast and easily multiple times per project.
:)

OBX
OBX
Advanced Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/23/10
Send Message

In reply to scottiechick <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/13/14 7:30 AM

I have a Juki F400 and a Bernina 580E. I love both machines equally and can't imagine selling my Juki. There are things about each machine that I particularly like. The Juki isn't a huge investment as machines are priced these days, so it doesn't make sense to me to sell it. I'd hang on to the Juki as you may need a back-up machine. I have found no differences in the penetration power.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 4/13/14 9:01 AM

I'm in agreement with PattyGee, take a long look at the B560 instead of the 530. I own a 530 and have been looking into trading it for the 560 because it has the buttons for selecting stitches AND it has the thread cutter. I think you'd be happier with that one.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Date: 4/13/14 11:05 AM

But the 560 is a 9mm machine so make sure it does the type of stitching you do most often.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

scottiechick
scottiechick
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/22/09
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/13/14 7:52 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty sure that I want to stick to the 530. I want the 5.5 mm machine vs the 9mm of the 560 and 580. I also don't have an interest in quilting, so I wouldn't need the BSR that comes with the 550.

I also don't see myself taking up embroidery (I have my mom's old embroidery capable Viking and haven't cracked the case on the embroidery part once. ;)

I'm one of the apparent few who prefers the buttons to the touch screen. :P I don't know why, but I just really don't care for them on sewing machines. I don't mind the navigation on the Juki or the 530, though, as it's through physical buttons.

I'm pretty solidly a garment and home dec sewer only. So the features I'm looking for in the 530 are stitch quality, feet variety/quality, the narrower stitch width, and the ability to save over the default stitch settings via the memory, and the temporary stitch memory, as I'm always having to switch stitches and try to remember what I had the Juki set to for the previous stitch. I don't see myself growing out of it, as my needs are pretty basic, as far as the Bernina lineup goes. Though if they ever get a thread cutter on the 5.5mm machine, I'd be all over that.

-- Edited on 4/13/14 7:54 PM --

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/13/14 8:03 PM

I like buttons also. I have both 9mm and 5mm and use the 5mm more, except I free motion quilt on a 9mm.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 4/14/14 0:19 AM

I sewed on the 550QE and did not care for it, but that's just me. I would take a juki F600 over one anyday.

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 4/14/14 2:22 AM

I love my 530. One thing is it does like oil in the bobbin every so often, you will hear the change (see manual). I have sewn a number of home dec and upholstery projects on the 530 and have had great success. Sewing knits on the 530 has been equally satisfying.
Be sure to take the classes, there is so much to learn and the feet are fabulous. See if you can get the walking foot included in the sales cost. You won't regret having the walking foot.

Unless you really need the space I would still keep the Juki f600, it is a great machine for the price.

eta: I still miss the cutter on the 530.
-- Edited on 4/14/14 2:24 AM --

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Juki F600 vs. Bernina 530/550?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1312

photo
by: Mimsy Boro...

Review
Sassy Bag

Sassy Bag

Buy Now
Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.