SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Contest Discussions > Vintage Pattern Contest 2014 - Official Discussion ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vintage Pattern Contest 2014 - Official Discussion
May 1 - May 31
MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/16/14 4:26 PM

Hello! I'm Nakisha and I will be the contest manager for the Vintage contest!

This contest is great chance to try out vintage patterns, learn the differences between those and current patterns, and possibly try some traditional but new-to-you techniques.

VINTAGE CONTEST RULES

Sew a garment using a Vintage Pattern. For the purposes of this contest a pattern is considered Vintage if it was issued and printed BEFORE 1980.

Be aware that most patterns from this time frame run smaller than modern patterns, so if you are purchasing a pattern check the sizing carefully. You can make your adjustments before you start working on your actual entry. Making a muslin is fine- cutting into the fabric you plan to use for the contest has to wait until the contest actually begins.

Patterns must be original vintage patterns, or exact re-prints of the vintage pattern (for example, reprints such as those that are available at Vintage Fashion Library and Vintage Pattern Lending Library). Re-issues, vintage inspired, retro, and self-drafted patterns using modern books are not allowed in this contest.

Minor design changes are allowed. If major changes are required to make a wearable item, please pick a different pattern for this contest.

Fabrics and techniques do not need to be vintage. However, both are encouraged, if available.

The contest is restricted to clothing. Crafts and home dec items are not included. Accessories as part of a clothing item can be included. Children and Menswear are both eligible for this contest.

Please include photos either on a person, dressform or hanger. We would like to see as many angle as possible.

General Rules for all Contests

All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. For this contest - May 31 2014

1. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline.

2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.

3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.

4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.

5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.

Contest Eligibility:

1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.

2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.

3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).

The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.

Prizes for the contest

TBA

Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.

Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes:

1. Does the garment clearly reflect the pattern's line drawing?

2. How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?

3. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?

4. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?

5. Is the review complete and well written?

6. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?

7. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.

8. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.
Added by Deepika
Prizes!
Sponsored by So Vintage Patterns

First Prize: $100 Gift Certificate
Second Prize: $50 Gift Certificate

Badge

Pinterest Board
Follow PatternReview's board The Vintage Contest on Pinterest.

-- Edited on 4/17/14 12:34 PM --

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/16/14 4:28 PM

When writing up your review, please add these supplementary questions to the START of your review:

Supplementary questions:

What year is your pattern from? (Or decade if you can't date it precisely)

Why did you choose this pattern?

If you used any vintage techniques or fabrics please tell us about them.

What made this pattern different/more difficult/easier or more interesting than a modern pattern?

Also, please be sure to indicate here that you have included at least three photos with your review. A front view, a back view, and a photo depicting the era of the pattern (a copy the envelope front would be one example of that).

This will be the collection point for rule and question clarifications.

If there are any questions regarding rules, clarification or any other issues that arise, please add the questions here. This saves members from having to scroll through numerous pages of discussion for answers.

Quote:
How about evadress.com? The site says those are line-for-line drafts of the original patterns.

ONLY patterns in the 'Original Vintage Patterns' section are eligible. The Reproductions and Multi-sized patterns are NOT eligible for this contest.

Additional note: Patterns which are exact duplicates of original vintage patterns (e.g. not reproductions or reissues) are eligible.

This is the case with Vintage Pattern Lending Library and some of the EvaDress patterns.

If there is a question on a specific pattern from EvaDress; please ask and the contest committee will make a determination

Quote:
Can the pattern be graded up or down?

Grading by hand is acceptable.

Quote:
Is there a way to add more than 3 photos to a review?

Yes! You can use a collage maker to group and get more photos in! A great (free) site is PicMonkey. If you have a smart phone, just search for "collage" in your app store. I have an iPhone and use PicStitch for all of my collages. There are a TON of layouts. It is free but you get limited access. The full app is only $.99.

Quote:
The pattern calls for a side zipper, but I was thinking of maybe adding a hidden placket to the center front of the skirt. Will that be an acceptable change?

Changing from a zipper to a placket would not be allowed for this contest. That would be considered a "major" change to the pattern.

Quote:
Can I use an invisible zip, or do I have stick to a standard one?

You can swap out a regular zipper for an invisible zipper.

-- Edited on 4/22/14 9:49 PM --
-- Edited on 4/22/14 9:51 PM --
-- Edited on 4/24/14 12:46 PM --
-- Edited on 5/7/14 9:19 AM --
-- Edited on 5/14/14 5:20 PM --
-- Edited on 5/14/14 5:22 PM --

------
Nakisha

Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

Date: 4/16/14 6:01 PM

Love the extra questions. They will help to get an idea on how these patterns work up different to modern ones.

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/16/14 6:14 PM

Nakisha- Isn't this your first time managing a contest? Congrats and we are all in for a treat. I will be reading along for certain!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 4/16/14 6:32 PM

Congrats on being contest manager!

I will need to check the copyright dates on the patterns I have in my stash - they are all from when my sister and I were in jr. high and high school, but the date range is 1976-1985, so they could easily be outside the contest. Eek. (I have my fingers crossed for one particular skirt I want to make to go with my fitted blouse!)

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/16/14 6:32 PM

YES! I almost freaked out when I got Connie's email like noooo! I can't!!! I'm scared!

------
Nakisha

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/16/14 8:00 PM

I'm in ... I have 2 similar dress patterns from the late 1930s/early 1940s that I really want to make & wear.

------
Sydney, Australia

detroy
detroy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 8/4/13
Send Message

Date: 4/16/14 8:04 PM

Wow - I knew this was coming up but now - so soon! Yikes! I fell in love with a vintage pattern last year. I found it in my size and bought it...but never started the muslin or anything. But May is such a busy month!!!

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to detroy <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/16/14 9:13 PM

It's HERE! :)

------
Nakisha

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/16/14 10:47 PM

I'm so confident you can make this contest a blast Nakisha!! Have fun!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Vintage Pattern Contest 2014 - Official Discussion

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6640

photo
by: DesignsByD...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.