SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Evolution? or Coverstitch machine? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Evolution? or Coverstitch machine?
Katedejong
Katedejong
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/13
Send Message

Date: 4/17/14 10:21 AM

I have an Imagine. Now, I am considering getting a coverstitch machine. Since I am very happy with my Imagine, I want to buy one from Babylock. But the price... Anyway, I visited my good dealer. And he suggested to trade my Imagine in and get new evolution. If I trade in, I have to pay $1440 for a new evolution and get $200 rebate from Babylock. My dealer said having a seperate machine for coverstitch is convenient, but Evolution has so many features and easy to switch one another, and better than coverstitch machine. The coverstitch machine costs $1200~$1300 no rebates. But I get a separate coverstitch machine.
What would you choose?

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Katedejong <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 10:43 AM

Well, I have the Evolution (have owned it for just over two years now) and, after reading everything on this forum from others who have tried both options you mention, I think I'd actually go with the separate machine. I occasionally toss around the idea of buying a CS to go with my Evolution.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 11:03 AM

I would (and did) chose to go with 2 separate machines. I owned the Evolve, and while it was quick & easy to switch back & forth from serging to CSing, it was still a PITA to do so.

When I'm sewing knit tops, I don't do all serging and then all CSing; I go back & forth between both. And when I have more than 1 knit top on the go, I'm never on the same step with each.

I realized that I was putting off sewing, because I didn't want to have to stop, take out the needles and change them over, change over the threads...then back again...and again change...and back again...quick or not, it still brought me to a halt when I just wanted to go go sew! I also like the smaller feet and sharper turning radius of the separate machines.

So my Evolve found a loving new home, and I found an Enlighten and separate CS machine (BLCS-2). Love love love! They are in their forever home (and I'm taking them with me when I kick the bucket )

If your sewing tends to be 1 garment at a time, and all (or mostly all) serging first and then CS, not back & forth between the two, then the Evolution may be perfect for you.

I'd go to the dealer and spend an hour or two playing with an Evolution and see what you think. Change from serging to CS half-a-dozen times and see if that would be something that would irk you or not.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Katedejong
Katedejong
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/17/14 11:12 AM

Thank you for replying! I am also worried about tension. Since Imagine was my first serger, I never control tension(also in sewing machine too.. They are so smart!) Is it not difficult to set right tension? Evolution has a lot of features, but auto tension is the one actually catching me..

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 11:17 AM

I hit the LIKE button a dozen times on this one!

Started with an Evolution.

Added a BLCS.

Couldn't be happier. (hmmmmmm....May consider an Enlighten instead of Evolution at some point in the future)

ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

Date: 4/17/14 11:26 AM

Personally I think the Evolution's a PITA to convert compared to an old Pfaff 4872. And I thought there were a lot of stitches when I tested its coverstitches that were not nice and straight.
The only reason I'd feel limited with two machines is if one weren't a 5 thread I'd miss the safety stitch. I (just my opinion) wouldn't invest in a BL coverstitch as I don't need the auto threading, it's just one looper, and easy to get for less, I'd rather invest the difference in a serger that has more stitch ability than the usual 2/3/4 thread. But they are well loved!

bes
bes  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Mexico USA
Member since 5/9/03
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 12:03 PM

I (personal opinion, of course) would opt for the cover stitch separate machine - again. I have the Babylock cover stitch machine and recently bought the Enlighten serger. I, like Lynn, don't like switching back and forth and do cover stitching in the middle of some projects not just at the end. Frankly, I would have bought the Imagine serger, but for this older woman the lighting on the Enlighten was better. I had a Bernina 2000DCE server/cover stitch combo before. I took about 30 minutes to convert. Not hard, but time consuming enough that I would procrastinate about doing things that required more than one switch over. My two cents worth. As always, try them out first.

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 12:04 PM

If you have room for both machines, then I would go the route of having the serger and cover stitch. I had the Imagine and a Janome cover stitch. I sold both and bought the Evolution because for me it was a pain to put one machine up and get the other out. I didn't have room for 3 machines to stay out all the time. Good luck in your decision. I love my Evolution and so far I haven't found it a problem converting between serging and coverstitching.

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/17/14 12:44 PM

Separate machines.

Look at the Janome too.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/17/14 1:56 PM

I have an Evolve that I bought used and love it (and can switch quickly and painlessly between CS and serging). For me, it was the best use of my space and budget. That said, if I already had an Imagine, I'd go for the separate CS machine.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Evolution? or Coverstitch machine?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 125587-1009

photo
by: treefrog

Review
10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.