SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Coverstitch machine or 5 thread serger ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Coverstitch machine or 5 thread serger
Katedejong
Katedejong
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/13
Send Message

Date: 4/20/14 3:42 PM

I have a 4 thread serger. Now, I am considering getting a coverstitch machine. But, I found that most coverstitch machines are 4 threads and don't have safety stitch. So, I thought I need 5 threads serger for coverstitch and safety stitch. But, I don't see any 5 thread serger with bias binding attachment options(For example, brother CS has binding set). Can I bind using 5 thread serger without any optional attachment?

I want to have coverstitch, safety stitch and binding function.
What machine is good for those functions?
Thank you!
-- Edited on 4/20/14 3:43 PM --

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/20/14 4:23 PM

I have a 4 thread serger and a coverstitch. By and large, the CS is not used in a way that would need a safety stitch, at least in my little sewing world.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Katedejong <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/20/14 4:32 PM

I originally bought a 5-thread serger so I'd have everything in one machine. About a year later, I bought a stand alone CS so that I didn't have to switch back and forth between 4-thread and CS as I was constructing my garments. Since the majority of what I sew is knits, this works best for me.

I haven't invested in the binders for my CS machine so I can't help you there.
-- Edited on 4/20/14 4:33 PM --

------
Judy

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/20/14 5:08 PM

I vote with Judy; I have a 5-thread coverstitch combined with serger, and I hate it. Reliability issues. A dealer and tech I talked to said that if a person has the space available, it's much better to get a lower-end serger and a coverstitch-only machine because they thought there was an inherent design flaw in the machines you have to convert from one to the other.

Mine won't keep its tension setting when serging to save it from being thrown out my window. At the moment, I have it set up as a coverstitch machine and use the El Cheapo sergers for overlock and rolled hem.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/20/14 8:31 PM

Since I have no idea what a safety stitch is, I'll just give you my opinion about the machines. I have a serger and a coverstitch. I prefer to have the two machines. If the serger needs a service or breaks down, I still have a coverstitch (plus a back up serger). If the combo has a problem, you're left with nothing.

Also, you will always need to buy additional bits for binding. The machine won't do that by itself.
-- Edited on 4/20/14 8:31 PM --

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Katedejong <<

Date: 4/20/14 11:54 PM

To answer the question, a 1-pass safety stitch combines a chain stitched seam instead of a straight stitch and the edge has a serge finish. It's often used in the industry and makes a super strong seam like on jeans. If you're willing to do a little extra work, you can imitate that look with 2 passes instead of just 1. Make the basic seam join with the chain stitch from the coverstitch machine. Then finish the edge with your serger to replicate a true safety stitch seam.

Binders are extra attachments that come in different configurations to do different tasks. To learn more about coverstitching, check out Debbie Cook's Stitches and Seams blog. She's a PR member and you'll learn a ton from her info.

Your question about 1, machine, 2 or even more is a perennial question. How much space, money and time do you have? What's your patience level and what do you sew?

I bought an Evolution to replace by 20-year old Elna that drove me nuts until I got it perfectly adjusted. It was capable of gorgeous stitches, but was exasperating to rethread. I avoided using it. I got a very low price on the Evolution and it has been trouble free for 2 1/2 years. I sit down to stitch anything from chiffon to bulky sweater knit to denim and it just handles it- no tension adjustment. I deal with the coverstitch switching because I have no place for another machine and I put money into a modern machine after using a mechanical Bernina since 1974.

I feel fortunate to have what I do and adore sewing with my new equipment. If I had unlimited funds, a bigger house and were retired with more time for sewing, maybe I'd choose differently. Honestly, I don't know if I'd go for a stand alone serger with a narrower foot than the Evolution.

Good luck on figuring out what's best for you.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 4/21/14 0:28 AM

I also have the Evolution that I just love. It is flawless - I don't have issues going around corners and don't understand what all the fuss is about a narrow foot???
Oh, I do have the BL Coverstitch as well. It is a like new (used) machine and I just sort of fell into it. I must say having both machines set up is much easier than switching back and forth.
Can someone explain what the deal is with the narrow foot???

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

TGWGWS
TGWGWS  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/21/14 1:37 AM

I love my Elna 945 which they no longer make, but Elna has newer sergers that coverstitch, serge with up to 5 threads, and has a bias binding attachment available. My DH bought mine used off EBay several years ago and I have not had any problems with it. I have not purchased the bias binding attachment for mine, so I can't comment on its ease of use or problems with it, but the coverstitch and 2,3,4,and 5 thread serging has been great.

------
Tina
------
I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
zora neal hurston

Viking Rose
Elna 945
Brother PE-770

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to Sharon48 <<

Date: 4/21/14 2:00 AM

About the narrow foot- here's what I understand. The sergers with coverstitch have more needle positions and wider feet to accommodate the various possibilities and combination stitches. The feed dogs cover a wider distance too. The wider foot covers more of the fabric and makes it somewhat more clunky to manipulate the material as you do small curves.

There is now a narrow curve foot for the Evolution and the Ovation. I have one, like it and find it useful- still experimenting. With this foot being narrower, it does not cover the feed dogs entirely and I was told it is ineffective with Differential Feed.

The new Ovation has a knee lift and that may help take a little pressure off so the fabric can be slightly readjusted to work around a tight curve. Also the presser foot lever is in the front to help lift the foot a bit to reposition the work and then proceed. Easier than with the lift behind the machine where you can't see it. These seem like useful improvements for a machine with a wide foot.

I don't make clothes for small children or dolls. However, there are rare times, like going around a pocket bag, that my machine feels a little awkward. Not very often, or enough to make me unhappy. With practice my skills are improving and I'm determined to keep at it since I'm delighted with my Evolution. What a difference after a long time with a headache of a serger.

BTW, this discussion of narrow and wide feet has it's equivalent with sewing machines. Some folks work best with a smaller mm machine and others, like me are happy with much wider. Actually, I like them all!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/21/14 8:21 AM

I like having my Evolution and Enlighten. I have the binder foot. I also had a binder foot for my Bernina. I can't see any advantage to them. The fabric needs yo be correct weight, starched, pressed, angled and fed. I found it simpler to make binding without it.
I just fold fabric and use my CS on the Evolution. I use my Enlighten for tiny curves on baby and toddler clothes. My Evolution does fine with gentle curves. I like having both sizes of feed dogs and feet. I find this combination is much more practical my purpose and so much more useful than a CS machine.
If you can afford the price tag, this is another solution.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Coverstitch machine or 5 thread serger

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Simplicity 1915

photo
by: halleyscom...

Review
You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.