SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Has sewing changed your fashion style? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has sewing changed your fashion style?
do you dress differently now than before you made your own clothes?
Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/21/14 8:37 PM

I was thinking today about how I dress now versus before I really started sewing a lot of my wardrobe and I was wondering if others have had a transformation of their wardrobes since sewing.

I know I have more prints in my wardrobe then I would have if I never took up sewing. I used to dress much more plainly when I bought most of my clothes (except when I was in high school and college).

I always wore lots of dresses and skirts, but they tended to be in neutrals and now I have a lot more color in my wardrobe and a lot more vintage-influenced styles.

How has sewing changed what you wear? Or maybe it hasn't...please share as well!

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/21/14 10:54 PM

Yes. I can't wear off the rack women's tops because they absolutely do not fit (sleeves waaaaay too short, collar too small, bust too large, hips too small, multi combination problem). In college, I wore jeans with men's shirts layered with t-shirts and flannel shirts, which was acceptable in the grunge/post-grunge time period, especially as an engineering major.

If I hadn't taken up sewing in grad school, I have no idea what I would be wearing now. I hate dresses and skirts, still can't find misses tops that come close to fitting, plus I am not a fan of the past 10+ years of womens fashion. Possibly I would still be wearing mostly items from the men's department of LL Bean....

------
mmmmm woooool

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/21/14 11:57 PM

When I started, RTW wasn't as bad as it is now. I could go into a department store and buy clothes that fit. And it's not that I gained so much weight (I have gained some in the last 20 years), it's the clothes suck.

I've always been a little edgy in my dressing, but in the 90s when I was younger, I couldn't afford to dress how I wanted to...even down to those stupid rayon challis sun dresses with tee shirts (which were about $100 in 1993, and I made a whopping $4.25 an hour). Fabric was simply cheaper.

Hasn't changed. I still dress edgy for my area, but after kids, a little growing up, I no longer need those $800 cocktail dresses. My inspiration isn't Paris and Milan but Barcelona and São Paulo. Resort fits my life.

Color and print has always been a huge part of my life, even back in my own grunge/goth days. I had to be the only pesudo Victorian in neon orange in the world at the time. And I know I was the only one in a hot pink/orange/lime flannel shirt at the Nirvana concert with matching Converse Hello Kitty sneaks. I made the shirt to match those shoes, which I miss by the way.

So...yes, some has changed. I live in the country where high fashion is out of place and the city style went the way of the dodo. My own life changed where resort was better for it, but I always have been huge on color. There are still times where I do the high fashion for whatever reason, but I live in resort.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to Kwaaked <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/22/14 8:21 AM

Quote: Kwaaked
the city style went the way of the dodo.

I love this!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

biochemistress

biochemistress  Friend of PR
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 11/8/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/22/14 8:34 AM

I've always been drawn to clothing that has an arty edge, whether in color/pattern or in style. It's not so much that sewing has changed my taste, but my taste is more achievable through sewing. I used to prefer buying basics like t shirts to layer with things I'd made. Now I prefer to make a nicer shirt to wear by itself or make the whole outfit.

craft keeper
craft keeper
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/7/13
Send Message

In reply to biochemistress <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/22/14 9:11 AM

Quote: biochemistress
It's not so much that sewing has changed my taste, but my taste is more achievable through sewing.

My thoughts exactly! I like funky prints and vintage details. I am definitely able to create clothes now that better reflect my style. Everything looks the same in RTW, especially in the mass market retailers I can afford to shop at.

------
Thank goodness for seam rippers and clearance fabric.

Erin Sooit
star
Erin Sooit  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/2/07
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/22/14 1:05 PM

I would say yes, sewing has changes the way I dress.
For me, I feel like I'm a tween; although I might be able to pay for some of the current fashions, I feel like they're too young for me.
On the other end of the spectrum, some of the clothing geared towards the mature woman is too mature. So sewing gives me the opportunity to address being in between those two fashion statements.
-- Edited on 4/22/14 1:07 PM --

------
HB: 34"
B: 37.5"
Under B: 32.5
W: 29"
H: 38.5"

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 4/22/14 2:26 PM

Yes, in part because I can make what I like in colours I like. vs having to deal with the colour palette of some stylists choice (which I often do not like)
Also as clothes fit better in my colours it looks nicer and I feel more confident. Style wise not much else has changed I think

Gilraen

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/22/14 2:45 PM

Hmmm. This is an interesting question.

My wardrobe is driven by work. I can't wear skirts/dresses/sleeveless to work. I wouldn't wear anything too nice like silk or cashmere or anything as it might get ruined. So I wear pants and a shirt or shell and cardigan/jacket. Everyday.

Boring.

So I make stuff for work...but I try to make a more "FUN" wardrobe for weekends so that I'm not schlepping around in yoga pants and a sweatshirt every weekend.

In my "former life", I worked in Human Resources. I really miss that wardrobe. Pretty skirts and dresses. Suits. "fancy" lined pants and skirts. And heels. I miss wearing high heels!!!! :-)

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/22/14 2:47 PM

-- Edited on 4/22/14 4:20 PM --

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Has sewing changed your fashion style?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern 176224-1007

photo
by: Kayseri

Review
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

More Info
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

More Info
Simplicity 5329

photo
by: guineveres...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.