SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Practice Fabric ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Practice Fabric
what kind of fabric did you use when you were starting to use patterns
hyattrocillo
hyattrocillo
Beginner
PHILIPPINES
Member since 2/6/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/23/14 7:16 AM

what kind of fabric did you use when you were starting to use patterns?

I'm a novice sewer and it's very painful to use fabrics (recommended in Simplicity patterns) and not end up having the results that I want. Wasted fabrics = waste of money.

please recommend a "go to" fabric.

Guelphgurl
star
Guelphgurl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 2/28/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/23/14 7:38 AM

Cotton!

rttai
star
rttai
Intermediate
Member since 1/12/14
Send Message

Date: 4/23/14 7:41 AM

Ditto for cotton. Simple patterns. When I stated sewing in junior high, the first thing we made was an apron, then a very simple a-line skirt. All in easy to sew cotton. Have fun on your journey...and remember, we all have had throw away results.

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 4/23/14 9:41 AM

Cotton is easy to work with. Pick fabric that you like. Don't try to be virtuous and work on fabric that you don't like just because it was cheap. Make something simple that you can wear around the house in case you don't feel happy enough about to wear it in public. Save some scraps of the fabric to use in a quilt or for something else down the line sometime. You can tell people the pieces are from the first garment you ever made.

Maybe check out places that sell discounted fabric or hit yard sales or resale shops. Our local visiting nurses have a yard sale to beat all yard sales and their fabrics are cheap and often surprisingly good buys.

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to hyattrocillo <<

Date: 4/23/14 9:47 AM

Are you wanting to work with knits or woven? I think woven natural fabrics are the easiest to work with and press well. Cotton and linen fabrics are my favorite. For knits I prefer stable cotton knits with minimal lycra, though some cotton/poly blends are okay, and some cotton/rayon blends are okay as well. It really depends on what you prefer next to your skin as to what you will want to wear.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 4/23/14 10:44 AM

Are you talking about wovens? For practice wovens, I buy muslin fabric when it is on sale. People on here have talked about picking up sheets from Goodwill or old sheets from home to use. It can take several tries to get something right. If you are talking about knits, it is a little harder to find cheap fabric to practice with but I have found that I usually have fewer fit problems with knits (I started with Kwik Sew pattern for knits). Once you get a pattern down, then move on to the "real" fabric. Ask questions on here too; people will jump in with ideas to help you. HTH

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 4/23/14 10:46 AM

Quote: hyattrocillo

I'm a novice sewer and it's very painful to use fabrics (recommended in Simplicity patterns) and not end up having the results that I want. Wasted fabrics = waste of money.

We have all been there, including myself.

Woven cottons will give the most consistent results. Woven lycra blends can be tricky.

Knits can be the flakiest because they vary so much in drape and stretch. Be sure to use a "Stretch" needle when sewing knits, and lighten the presser foot pressure for some knits.

Be sure to press all seams as you go. Here is a great video from the Gorgeous Fabrics University. Actually, ~all~ of Ann's videos are worth the time invested to watch:

No matter which project and fabric type I have, I always (ALWAYS!) take a scrap and make test seams. This helps me determine the best stitch length, thread, and needle type for that fabric. Often I write it down on a Post-It Note and stick it to something on or near the machine in case I forget between sewing sessions.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 4/23/14 11:03 AM

Cotton! Still one of my favorite fabrics to sew with, but now it might cost a little more. :)

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

AllNewtoMe
star
AllNewtoMe  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 9/6/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/23/14 11:55 AM

What is wrong with the results you're getting? We really need to know that before knowing how to answer this question. My "go to" fabric is MUSLIN to sort out fit and style issues before using an actual fashion fabric.

autumnnn
autumnnn
Advanced Beginner
Member since 8/23/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/23/14 6:54 PM

Quote: hyattrocillo

please recommend a "go to" fabric.

I feel your pain!
When I started reading a particular sewing blogger who use lots of thrift store finds to practice sewing I finally saw the light and started making muslins from old sheets. It is a real wallet saver! Over the past year i haven't made very many finished garments, but I've made at least 10 muslins which have helped me decide not to sew several patterns because they didn't work well with my figure, or were beyond my current sewing skill set. I have nearly perfected the fit of one simple dress this year, after muslining for fit twice, making up the dress in a well loved linen, that I got on sale and then srewing up the lining...then making again in another slightly more expensive fashion fabric and it is wearable, just not my pride and joy, I needed to tinker with fit a little more so I muslined again and made another dress which is out of black polyester crepe I picked up for a very afordable price. After finishing it the first time it ( omitting the lining) it had ripples between the neck and arm holes. I took out the bias edge facings, added a full facing from neck opening to arm openings in front and re-applied my narrow bias facings (made using continuous loop method) and it is a dress I actually feel pretty proud to wear.

So I want to emphasize, muslin from throw away fabric (some of the sheets I've used had stains or were worn thin in places) and start garment making with moderately priced fabric. Start with something that is less than three yards and perhaps skip the lining until you are sure that everything else is right about the pattern so you don't double the waste.
Good luck!
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Practice Fabric

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Buy Now
Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.