SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Frustrated with fusible interfacing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Frustrated with fusible interfacing
JuneHawk
star
JuneHawk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 3/30/09
Send Message
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/24/14 9:40 AM

I am very frustrated with interfacing, specifically fusible interfacing. A few years ago I had a bad experience with Pellon when the interfacing in a blouse I loved bubbled everywhere in the first wash. More on that here. I then switched to expensive interfacing, as others recommended, hoping I could avoid this bubbling thing.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I washed a green dress I made with the expensive interfacing (I can't remember for the life of me where I bought it but it came highly recommended) and what do you know, it bubbled and has ruined my dress. I'm upset, I really loved the dress.

The interfacing bubbling isn't such a huge deal when it's only fused to the facings but when it's fused to the outside fabric, as it was in both of these instances, it's pretty damaging. I know what else to do as the quality/price of the interfacing doesn't seem to make a difference.

------
http://www.theserialhobbyistgirl.com/

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to JuneHawk <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/24/14 9:46 AM

What was the fiber content of your fabric? I've had issues with certain blends not seeming to bond to the interfacing. I'm sure you do this, but did you prewash the fabric?

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 9:49 AM

Wow, that looks really bad. Perhaps you should use sew-in interfacing. It was all that was available before fusibles so it was used plenty.

I don't know when fusible interfacings came on the market. I wonder if anyone knows.

On the bright side you did a great job on your scallops and covered buttons. :)
-- Edited on 4/24/14 9:51 AM --

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 10:19 AM

Were both the fabric and interfacing prewashed? It could also be progressive shrinkage on the fashion fabric.

Debbie

JuneHawk
star
JuneHawk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 3/30/09
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 10:36 AM

The green fabric is 100% cotton twill and was prewashed. The interfacing (the more expensive one, not the Pellon), claimed that it did not need to be prewashed.

The interfacing for the green dress is fused to the outside fabric so I don't know how I'd make sew-in work for that :/

------

JuneHawk
star
JuneHawk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 3/30/09
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 10:39 AM

Aha, I bought the interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply; it's the ProWOVEN Light-Crisp FUSIBLE Interfacing.

------

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/24/14 10:41 AM

I'm so sorry about your dress, it is truly gorgeous and clearly you spent a lot of time and energy on it. Beautiful detailing.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to JuneHawk <<

Date: 4/24/14 10:48 AM

Quote: JuneHawk
The green fabric is 100% cotton twill and was prewashed. The interfacing (the more expensive one, not the Pellon), claimed that it did not need to be prewashed.

The interfacing for the green dress is fused to the outside fabric so I don't know how I'd make sew-in work for that :/

This is awful! I don't know what to tell you.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

JuneHawk
star
JuneHawk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 3/30/09
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 10:51 AM

I tried to smooth out the bubbles with pressing but only had limited success. At this point, I think I'm just going to try peeling the interfacing off the fabric. the fabric is strong enough that it can stand not being interfaced but this particular dress. Sigh.

------

caren751
caren751
Intermediate
Member since 9/3/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/24/14 10:52 AM

I had this problem before I stopped using Pellon, but not since. I know that I probably spend more time fusing interfacing in place than makes sense. I hold the iron and steam and press every inch, let it sit, flip the fabric and press the whole thing with a hot dry iron, then I fuse it again with steam, and press again with a dry iron.

If you still have scraps I would try tests fusing them together and washing them to try and find out what happened. Is it possible that there was fabric softener on the fabric when you joined it with the interfacing? If there is a coating on the fabric sometimes the glue does not penetrate the coating and when the coating wears off the interfacing pulls away. It does not look like a problem caused by shrinking to me. When my interfacing has shrunk it has made the joined piece smaller, but I have not noticed it pulling away, and when the fabric has shrunk I have just had the piece curl. It may be a matter or degree, but I think the glue should still hold if the adhesion had worked.

I am very sorry to see that this happened to your dress. It looks so very nice. I think it is worth fixing.

I learned to sew using sew-in interfacing, and if you are using a standard iron for fusing, I am not at all sure it is more work than using fusible interfacing. It does look different, and I think we have gotten use to how fusible looks, but sew-in interfacing is fine.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Frustrated with fusible interfacing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.