SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > 2014 Swimwear sew along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
2014 Swimwear sew along
SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/26/14 2:26 PM

I found a 2013 PR thread and some misc postings about swimwear and bathing suits so thought it best to start another for the 2014 season.

This is my first foray into swimwear. I have all my fabrics and notions and the Kwik Sew Swim and Active Wear pattern book and an old McCalls 2221 Suit Yourself pattern.

I am trying to come up with swim shorts for my daughter (adult) but am stuck. She has a mix and match top and swim skirt with integrated panty.
I got the shorts cut out but can find no directions on how to either sew in a panty liner or add a crotch piece or make a crotch gusset. The shorts will not be worn over a one piece- they are to be worn with the swim top.

Any ideas or links to tutorials? TIA

I want to sew up a brown and red pair swimming shorts. Then its on to a one piece for myself with an integrated bra cup. So I am hoping for a bit of company as I explore how this is all done.

Edited to add links
-- Edited on 4/26/14 8:30 PM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Trinity.
starstar
Trinity.
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 10/9/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/26/14 2:51 PM

I'd like to sew along.

I made Jalie 3134 a couple of years ago but it is slightly too short in the torso so I've been wanting to make another for a while now.

I also like the new Jalie swimsuit pattern and if I can fit it into my sewing budget I'd like to buy and make that one soon as well.

DD will also new a new suit this year.

Can't help you on the swim shorts thing, though I like the idea and might try a pair for myself at some point.

------
Trinity

http://thimblesthreadsandneedles.blogspot.com/

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/26/14 3:48 PM

Well I came across a small gusset insert on You Tube. It flashed by for just a second and I stopped it to try to figure it out.
I think it is a gusset- a diamond like cut out in the crotch bottom of the short. So I guess it is back to more drafting! DRATS!! I am so wanting to begin sewing it together.

------

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 4/26/14 3:56 PM

I was planning on purchasing the new jalie swim short pattern soon. In the meantime, I'm planning on making the princess tankini from bramakerssupply.com, as I've had good success with the bra patterns they sell. I'd love to join in on this, though I'm having surgery next week, so I'll be out of commission for however long it takes me to get out of the hospital (hopefully less than a week).

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/26/14 4:13 PM

HI Michelle- I saw that tankini a few days ago on bra makers and thought about ordering it. Since I am long waisted it is hard to find a comfortable fit so that is why I am sewing a one piece. Plus I like a classic cut.

I am finally tackling my first bra- got supplies yesterday and all set. Making the swimwear with a bra liner will be the first step. Will see how it goes. I lurked in the one last year but too many other distractions to get sewing for myself done.

I went online looking for the new Jalie pattern that you mentioned. I think it is Jalie 3351 Swim Shorts. Luckily they have online instructions. It looks like they made a full panty and connected it at the waist and upper side seam.
The Kwik Sew has a panty pattern so I am going to cut it out and play around with attaching it. Thanks for the help!

Sandi
Edited to add link
-- Edited on 4/26/14 8:28 PM --

------

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 4/26/14 5:06 PM

Quote: SandiMacD
HI Michelle- I saw that tankini a few days ago on bra makers and thought about ordering it. Since I am long waisted it is hard to find a comfortable fit so that is why I am sewing a one piece. Plus I like a classic cut.

I am finally tackling my first bra- got supplies yesterday and all set. Making the swimwear with a bra liner will be the first step. Will see how it goes. I lurked in the one last year but too many other distractions to get sewing for myself done.

I went online looking for the new Jalie pattern that you mentioned. I think it is Jalie 3351 Swim Shorts. Luckily they have online instructions. It looks like they made a full panty and connected it at the waist and upper side seam.

The Kwik Sew has a panty pattern so I am going to cut it out and play around with attaching it. Thanks for the help!

Sandi
-- Edited on 4/26/14 4:25 PM --

Oh, good idea to look at the Jalie pattern that way! I'd be very interested to hear how that turns out, so please let us know. I have an extremely long torso myself, so I usually stick with one-piece swimsuits, but I do like the option of mixing and matching bottoms since my suits get a pretty heavy workout. I swim in a pool several days a week and will probably be undergoing aquatic physical therapy soon, too. It was so outrageous paying $90+ for a swimsuit and then having it last for maybe one season that I decided to start making my own. I've already made 4 for what I would have paid for one RTW that wouldn't have fit right, anyways.

Thanks for getting this thread started!

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 4/26/14 6:06 PM

Thanks for starting a 2014 thread -- I desperately need at least one new suit before heading on holidays in June (nightly swims at the hotels are a big part of our holidays).

I just ordered the new Jalie swimsuit and have a couple of other patterns and all the fabrics and notions I will need. Just have to finish up a couple of other projects before I get going on the swimwear.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
49.75 yards sewn (as of 07/17/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/17/14)

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/26/14 8:25 PM

Well I am showing my newbie-ness in this!

First I was having trouble with the nylon mesh lining for the panty. I have never used a rotary to cut patterns but did not want to use my ginghers. I was holding it STILL in my right hand and my left moved to adjust the pattern piece and somehow my left finger joint moved mid-air into the blade near the top. Bled like a pig and boy is it sore!!! I can't believe how much I use the joint on that finger to sew.

So then I try to serge the center crotch piece of the panty mesh to the front and back pieces and of course it doesn't completely catch because the seam is only 1/4 inch. (3 thread narrow OL with wooly nylon) All this took at least 30 minutes (to sew just a few inches!). So I return to the sewing machine to baste the crotch piece and then serge- it worked. I hold it up and the panty looks enormous- like it could fit me- and my daughter is half my size. That's when I realize I did not cut it on the crosswise stretch so it lengthened a lot.
NOTE TO SELF: Next time cut the small size on the correct stretch grain line and use 5/8 inch seams, not 1/4.

So I am thinking I can save it perhaps with the elastic leg. I had ordered the rubber- 3/8 inch. So I changed to a 4TOL with the wooly nylon. Well that did not work out- the elastic broke after about serging for 10 inches. Either pulling too hard or from too many needle holes too close?

So now it has become the TESTING GARMENT. I go to the sewing machine and finish up with a U shaped zz stitch that I have never tried. The sm doesn't like the rubber elastic, I think, as the tension is really wonky looking. But the elastic didn't break and it is secured.

I tried on the mesh panty liner with one leg elastic- yikes! It stretched enough to fit me so I guess I need to recut an extra small size.

Or perhaps go back to my idea of drafting a crotch gusset to line the swim shorts.

I am done for the night. DH is gone camping and I had hoped to finish this but I am going to curl up with my cats, eat popcorn and watch a chick flick...

------

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 12:40 PM

Giving the panty liner another go today. I have recut in the extra small size. Going to stabilize the edges with a fusi-soft knit bias tape and try with clear elastic around the legs.

------

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 4:35 PM

So far so good. I am now cutting the swim shorts!

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> 2014 Swimwear sew along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vogue Patterns 1127

photo
by: Sewtox

Review
No Pattern Used 2011-001

photo
by: Novy

Review
Favorite Things Mama Mia Pattern

Favorite Things Mama Mia Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.