SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > White Serger about to go out the window! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
White Serger about to go out the window!
Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 2:07 PM

My mother loaned me this serger, and while it seems like it should be really nice ... I currently want to throw it out the window of my second floor. I pulled it out today, determined to get it working so I could use it for my t-shirt construction. I had threaded it a while back but never could get it to work just right, so today I just re-threaded the loopers and the needles and tried it out. It did ok on the top, but the bottom was a mess - uncaught loops all over the place. I looked through the book and thought maybe it was the tension, so I played with that but it never fixed the loop issue on the bottom.

I called my mom - after all, she used it for many years before getting her current serger and I thought she might have some insight. She said it sounded like the serger wasn't threaded correctly, so I cut threads and re-threaded it completely, which was ok because I wanted to change the thread color anyway. Now, I can't get it to sew at all! The loopers and needles keep coming unthreaded, and the machine makes a weird clacking noise when I try to sew. After more than two hours messing with it, I'm just not interested anymore. It would be nice to have it working but it's seriously cutting into my sewing time.

I can get my mom to come over one day and thread it for me and help me troubleshoot, but that will probably be in a week or two - we live more than an hour apart, and I work during the week. I've followed all the diagrams and everything to get it to thread, made sure the tension disks were engaging ... I'm at a loss. So I'm open to suggestions anyone might have that can help me get this thing to stay threaded and actually work.

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Singer 500A
White Serger (I can never remember the model, but it's older)
Dreaming of a Babylock Enlighten!

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/27/14 2:38 PM

What order in which are you threading the machine? Typically the correct order is: UL, LL, RN, LN. Upper looper, lower looper, right needle, left needle.

Additionally, are you using new(ish) serger thread?

How long ago did you acquire it, and do you know when it was last serviced? It's possible it may need to be re-serviced.

However, hopefully someone with more serger experience can pop on and give you some advice.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

detroy
star
detroy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 8/4/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 3:15 PM

I have a Singer serger that is supposed to be the same model as a White Superlock. When I thread it I have to do it this way: upper looper, lower looper, right needle, left needle. I cannot change one thread without re-threading every thread because it will either break thread or not sew. I don't have to re-thread the whole path of each thread, but only the end part under the presser foot. It took me 6 months to figure this out. Before that I had a good hour of swearing each time I changed thread. I also have trouble if I do the tie on a new thread to re-thread thing. Good thing the thread paths were easy enough to figure out.

I hope this helps. I know the frustration you're feeling.

mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 3:22 PM

This is probably not the problem but did you lower the presser foot? If it is threaded correctly the symptoms you describe happen from not lowering the presser foot. I have done it numerous times.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/27/14 4:15 PM

If you and your mom both had a even a cheap $35 video cam and free skype, (I bet you might be able to make that happen in one day even maybe) then maybe you could set that up, so she could watch you trying to thread it up and help you get going on it. That way it would be more like she was sitting right next to you, when you were trying to use it for a while. Just a thought.
Then you could also show each other other stuff, not even sewing related either, back and forth on the free skype video phone calls back and forth too even. It for sure, beats driving an hour back and forth for something like that
-- Edited on 4/27/14 4:16 PM --

The most important thing about a serger is the threading. And when it gets messed up, time to unthread everything and just start out new all over again. Thread in this order on it, always top looper first, then lower looper, then needles. And if your upper looper thread breaks, don't try to cheat and just re-thread that one thread, as that does not work good. Start out all over again threading everything new in the right order. Maybe your mother already told you that, I don't know?
-- Edited on 4/27/14 4:22 PM --

mesos
mesos
Member since 4/7/08
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 4:56 PM

Have you put new needles in?

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 4/27/14 5:03 PM

What model of White serger is it? Can you post a picture of how it looks threaded?

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 5:38 PM

Make sure your pressure foot is really down all the way before you even try to chain off too. That is tricky sometimes when you have only had a sewing machine before. Just because the pressure foot lift, might even lift up going the other direction for that than possibly your sewing machine does. And it is harder to just see if a pressure foot is up or down on a serger, with only a quick look at it, than on a sewing machine most times, but if it's up instead, you won't get far and have immediate bad sounds, and a horrible thread mess, right away, every time.

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

Date: 4/27/14 6:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The presser foot is down, the needles are new, the thread is new ... it may need to be cleaned, though. But this is the fourth serger I've had and I really can say that I just suck at threading them. I am seriously considering buying a Babylock just for the air threading. I could get so much more done if I didn't spend so much time trying to get a serger to work.

I talked to my mom, too. She says, "It's something you're doing." Umm ... thanks, Mom? I sort of knew that already. LOL The problem is, I can't figure out what it is I'm doing wrong. I've threaded it in every order I can think of with no luck.

Tonight, I'm going to see if either my son or my husband can thread it. I'm just not doing something correctly ...

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Singer 500A
White Serger (I can never remember the model, but it's older)
Dreaming of a Babylock Enlighten!

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 4/27/14 6:54 PM

I'm on my third serger (Babylock)....because the first two didn't have auto threading! I finally realized that if were going to do any serging at all I'd have to get a better machine because I had no luck with the threading process on the first two.
Buy the Babylock; trust me, you'll never regret it.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> White Serger about to go out the window!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Burda 7131

photo
by: froggiegir...

Review

Pattern

Colette Patterns 0003

photo
by: staymay

Review
Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.