SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > As I get ready to restock on interfacing... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
As I get ready to restock on interfacing...
Thinking about Pam and others... Note to self.
Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 14 members like this.

Date: 4/27/14 9:32 PM

In the process of getting ready to stock up on a few things that I normally order for my sewing room: interfacing from Pam Erny (NAYY), because it's the best I have access to, elastic, and some special bamboo fabric I frequently use.

It started me thinking about the ways in which I attempt to use my money in harmony with my particular ethos.
Buying from local farmers for fresh organic produce or from local Indie pattern makers, or from wahms on Etsy, for example.

I try to be thoughtful about the purchases I make, hopefully throwing my purchasing power in the right direction, and not to big businesses who have not personally shared sewing with me, especially compared to those who have shared in the PR community.

Some of the people I buy fabric and interfacing from have children with cancer and/or are battling a terminal illness. I will definitely give purchasing preference to their fine products if I can, because I know every little bit helps mitigate their staggering and impossible costs. Plus, they have given so much.

Anyway, I'm going to go order some amazing interfacing (for one thing) while I still can, and count my blessings as well.

Hugs, thanks and please don't attack me I'm not in the mood...

;)

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 4/27/14 9:46 PM

Thank you, Terri. I, too, try to spend my money at businesses that make a positive difference in my life, businesses that work hard to meet the needs of the customer, businesses for whom even my small orders matter.

And most of all, thank you for reminding me that all those StyleArc pattern orders I've placed have really been for a noble cause.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/27/14 10:49 PM

This was really nicely said and nice to read.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/28/14 11:13 AM

You are a woman of substance! 's

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/28/14 12:29 PM

One of the nice things about PR is all the wonderful people here who support each other in so many ways. Thanks for that reminder!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/28/14 12:32 PM

Thanks, nice reminder.
We all support things with our dollars, intentional or not. My dad used to say, Put your money where your mouth is.

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

detroy
detroy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 8/4/13
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 4/28/14 1:39 PM

I used to own a very small retail business. I can tell you that lovely, thoughtful customers with these attitudes do so much to help families, local economies and overall economic strength.

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 4/28/14 3:51 PM

Maybe all these really kind remarks from you all will bring those to whom it applies a little heart and body healing. A little kindness goes a long way.

BTW
I made an interfacing order and found at Fashion Sewing Supply these inexpensive little Collar Turning clamp tools. I always wanted to buy a surgical tool for this purpose but never got around to it. Now, I only have to see if I can make it an extension of my hand easily. I usually use the fold and turn method, so I'm excited to try those out.

Also, found some nice sew-in and fusible interfacing for some upcoming vintage patterns and the like.
Do I sound like a YouTube haul video?

:P
Sometimes, I say no to a bunch of sales and tempting things and then I hit that moment that I'm *absolutely* buying sewing stuff! It was fun. ;)

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<

Date: 4/28/14 3:53 PM

Oh, thanks for the reminder...I am out of Pro-Tricot Knit interfacing. Off to shop!

Grandmomof7boys
Grandmomof7boys  Friend of PR
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 4/29/14 7:39 AM

I'm not aware of which merchants are facing life challenges. Is there information someplace? I'd be glad to direct my "sewing dollars" to a merchant for whom my order is important.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> As I get ready to restock on interfacing...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

My Image Magazine M1262

photo
by: westmoon

Review
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1315

photo
by: Sharon M

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.