SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > PDF or paper? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
PDF or paper?
Tommy1969
Tommy1969
Intermediate
Member since 1/18/14
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/3/14 11:55 PM

Whats up with all these new PDF pattern makers? Is that the way we are learning to sew now? Im old fashioned, I love paper. Give me a vogue anyday! I will buy a pdf from Burda since I know the instruction and pattern are created to work, but Im not willing to spend $10-30.00 on a pdf.

Am i the only one?

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Tommy1969 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 0:55 AM

Nope, you aren't alone. I will go out of my way to get the paper/print copy instead of downloading a pattern. Even if you get the pdf, you still have to print it out, then paste it together or pay someone with a big printer to print it for you, adding to the expense. No thanks.

------
Fictionfan

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

In reply to Tommy1969 <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 1:22 AM

Well, I can kinda understand many of the indies higher costs because they don't have the resources of a larger business like Burda. However, most of them offer some hand holding in addition to the pattern instruction via sew-a-longs and will answer questions one might have about their patterns. The main reason I've bought .pdfs even if an indie maker offers paper is because they are sometimes cheaper. I can also get it instantly with no additional mailing costs and can reprint it should it be destroyed.
As for paper... I dislike tissue ...it rips far too easily at my hands. < : )This was one of the reasons I liked Kwik-Sew, Stretch & Sew back when. With a .pdf I have to go to the trouble of assembling, but at least the paper is sturdy and I trace everything anyhow because I ALWAYS have to alter. If you like to just go for it and tissue fit from your original pattern this would be a nuisance.
On a side note about assembling, I appreciate those makers who don't encrypt or who offer a print shop copy so I can do my assembling & tracing digitally.
I confess my buck stops at around $15 for a .pdf and I really can't see $30 ( who was that if you don't mind my asking?).
Shel

Tommy1969
Tommy1969
Intermediate
Member since 1/18/14
Send Message

In reply to Marilly <<

Date: 5/4/14 1:30 AM

Quote: Marilly
Well, I can kinda understand many of the indies higher costs because they don't have the resources of a larger business like Burda. However, most of them offer some hand holding in addition to the pattern instruction via sew-a-longs and will answer questions one might have about their patterns. The main reason I've bought .pdfs even if an indie maker offers paper is because they are sometimes cheaper. I can also get it instantly with no additional mailing costs and can reprint it should it be destroyed.

As for paper... I dislike tissue ...it rips far too easily at my hands. < : )This was one of the reasons I liked Kwik-Sew, Stretch & Sew back when. With a .pdf I have to go to the trouble of assembling, but at least the paper is sturdy and I trace everything anyhow because I ALWAYS have to alter. If you like to just go for it and tissue fit from your original pattern this would be a nuisance.

On a side note about assembling, I appreciate those makers who don't encrypt or who offer a print shop copy so I can do my assembling & tracing digitally.

I confess my buck stops at around $15 for a .pdf and I really can't see $30 ( who was that if you don't mind my asking?).

Shel

I wont name the pattern company here, wont give them Free Advertising but its when you do this to your finger. When you say opening an envelope too fast.
michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 1:43 AM

PDFs are great for kids' patterns--I'd rather print off and tape another size when my daughter grows out of one size than deal with tracing again and trying to preserve pattern tissue. Kids' pattern pieces are also small, so there's less taping to do.

I don't mind printing/taping something for myself, as long as it's a fairly simple pattern with relatively few pieces.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

In reply to Tommy1969 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/4/14 4:23 AM

Paper for me. PDF are a hassle to assemble and then harder to store. I've made two - a knit top and a child's dress - which are smaller. NOT SO MANY PAGES! For children's patterns I can actually see the point, but generally I am happy to wait longer to get the paper pattern.

Quote: Tommy1969
I wont name the pattern company here, wont give them Free Advertising but its when you do this to your finger. When you say opening an envelope too fast.

Those patterns are actually paper patterns, I'm glad to say. The price includes worldwide shipping and they're not priced in US dollars which makes it a bit cheaper. Yes, it's still expensive.

-- Edited on 5/4/14 4:24 AM --
beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 4:49 AM

I was not even aware that was the only way anyone was selling garment patterns actually. I'm not most times into printing a bunch of small letter head size papers, with tick marks and such, and then taping together later as a larger one much, so that probably would keep me from buying something, unless there was something so special about it or unusual about it, I felt that it was worth it.

So it might not even be a only money thing, more just more a time involved kind of thing instead kind of thing that might put me off of it. Sell something as a much larger all in one, on larger sheets of paper, plotter/blue print sized kind of paper file, that I actually could drive it down to someplace, or just email it over there, and get it printed at, and I probably would like that better. Or maybe, even give people a wider choice of file formats and printing options even?

But maybe it's what you compare it to also, if people are tracing off some pattern more like the fold out of a Burda pattern magazines fold outs, with all those numerous lines on there, all the time, for all their sewing patterns, at that point, taping paper together may be less work too?

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/4/14 6:34 AM

I have used a pdf for doll clothes, half sizes and infant/toddler.
I would never want to go through all the paper and taping. I would not want to pay a print shop either.

Perhaps someone will work on a large format home printer that costs under $60. Remember the days of those printers that had paper with holes along each side? It fed along a gear and was perforated? We used to make banners because it just printed out one long roll and when it was done we tore the perforation line.

Anyway, if all I had to do was push print in my custom size and it printed out on one sheet- well that would change my mind.

But printing out various sizes, (I am always a combination!) taping and then cutting and retaping- way too confusing and too much work!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 6:53 AM

I print off PDFs all the time. But then I am a weird! I tape them together- which 90% do easily and then I trace my size and keep the paper outline. Paying to have it printed on top of buying it is usually too much $ for me.

I draw the line at about $12 unless I absolutely love it and know it will flatter me.

-- Edited on 5/4/14 6:53 AM --

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

daintydeb
daintydeb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Kansas USA
Member since 7/12/07
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 5/4/14 7:58 AM

As a long time sewist, I tried to print one pattern. It took 20 sheets just to print a child's dress and bonnet pattern. This format costs me paper, ink, and wear and tear on my printer. Then there is the time for assembly. I do not purchase e-patterns. I am willing to pay more for a paper pattern, since it saves money and time in the long run.
-- Edited on 5/4/14 7:59 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> PDF or paper?

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Simplicity a2684

photo
by: kathieh9

Review
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

More Info
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

More Info
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2011-108

photo
by: nicegirl

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.