SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Less new knit patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Less new knit patterns
Is it just me, or....
LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

Date: 5/8/14 9:39 AM

There seems to be a real move away from knit patterns right now with the "big four" companies (and New Look). Is it just me? Maybe it's just the inevitable decline of the peplum, which is a very knit-friendly style, with nothing else being dominant right now. Many that have been released have been just a little too youthful for me (and I like trendy stuff, so it's got to be really girly for me to consider it too youthful).

I have all this great knit fabric in my stash that I was planning to use for spring and summer tops. I want some styles that are a little more suitable for work instead of a plain T or tank. There have been a few new styles from Burda (both paper patterns and on the BurdaStyle site), but other than that, the selection of new knit patterns has been pretty limited (not counting indies).

------
- Libby with a "y" not an "ie"
(People who know Richmond will get this!)

"Sewing is not a hobby, it's a journey."

stitchywitch
starstarstar
stitchywitch
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/15/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/8/14 1:13 PM

I noticed that too. I think it's because we're seeing a return of the blouse in RTW at the moment. It will come back! Personally I love knit tops for freedom of movement, and only wear a blouse if it is really oversized, so I hear you.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/8/14 1:19 PM

I think that stitchywitch is onto something. When I look around at the women at my office (and I work in a fairly casual office), I see a lot of sheer blouses layered over cami's, pu### bow styles, and easy-fitting classic blouse styles (think Archer).

And then when you look at the sewing blogosphere, it seems like the main thing young-ish women sewists are making these days are vintage-inspired dresses, which there seem to be a LOT of patterns for right now.

I think it's probably just a fashion cycle type thing. Knit tops (and patterns) will be back again.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/8/14 1:31 PM

I've been really liking 1/2 woven, 1/2 knit tops lately. Tops where the back is knit and the front is woven, or vice versa, or leather/faux leather short sleeves with a knit body.

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

Cheddar4
Cheddar4
Intermediate
Member since 3/26/07
Send Message

Date: 5/8/14 4:01 PM

I think Burda has been ramping up their knit top styles. Over the few months they have had some neat knit tops. The designs remind me a lot of the designs in pattern magic.

LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/8/14 4:29 PM

One style I noticed on ModCloth that I haven't seen yet in patterns, is empire waisted tops (and these could be knits).

At any rate, for a little knit inspiration, here are some tops from ModCloth that either are in or could be made in a knit fabric

-- Edited on 5/8/14 4:56 PM --

------

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 5/8/14 6:14 PM

I'm not seeing that really, but what I'm seeing is just some more structured clothes, (style wise focused on) and often for just the photos in the pattern books of Butterick, McCalls, Simplicty, New Look and Kwick Sew, often made out of some pretty cheap looking and stiff fabric, ones I would not choose and even more like quilters cotton often. And if not, then often some polyester chiffon. But I guess it is summer sewing coming up. So nothing wrong with those fabrics at all, for what they are, but there are lots of other fabrics out there too. But that also does not mean you have to sew them up, out of the same kind of stuff or fabric at all either. Also why I pay no attention or try not to, to the fabric choices and even Photos in something like that and just more go by the actual technical drawings of a garment there instead.

I have not noticed that bad visual trend in the Photography and pattern to fabric matching happening yet with the Vouge Pattern books, and hopefully it never will! I think just because of the designer patterns in there even, and maybe different style trends, that won't ever happen there, as then they would probably have a very hard time, getting any designers to want to even have their patterns shown that way actually

I have not noticed all the real stores, in any shopping centers or just any fashion magazines either, all full of 40's revival clothes that are all made up of stiff looking quitlers cotton either. So, I think maybe that is some of the "disconnect" there for me, when I see that stuff in the pattern books. Even in the real 1940's all clothes were not made of stiff woven cotton fabric at all, unless maybe that was all they had at the five and dime or something, fabric wise when someone just went to sew some, so I don't really get that either.

Also kind of hard to have anything Donna Karan or such, made out of stiff quilters cotton or something that even looks like it. But I think it is better, to try to put more "blinders on" and not pay too much attention to other peoples fabric choices in those books sometimes, also, and just more envision anything, in fabric you might choose instead.
-- Edited on 5/8/14 6:16 PM --
-- Edited on 5/8/14 6:39 PM --

Cat
Cat
Intermediate
New South Wales Australia
Member since 2/18/03
Send Message

In reply to LizJ58 <<

Date: 5/8/14 8:52 PM

Thank you for posting these photos. They are beautiful. I love the blue/white striped top followed by the red sailing boat top and the navy with the clever collar/bow. Now we need patterns for these!

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to Cat <<

Date: 5/9/14 8:39 AM

That is just it, you do not need new patterns for those designs. Most of them can be made from existing patterns with just a bit of "finagling".
eg.
Striped top....add the amount you need for the pleats to CF seam, then pleat it out, and slash and flare the long sleeve pattern. This is simply a t-shirt pattern.

And I could go on.

In my opinion that is why not as many knit patterns. You can use a woven pattern with a knit quite easily, but the revers is not as true.

LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/9/14 8:44 AM

On the navy top: there is a Vogue pattern (OOP now, but not that old) that had a pleated neckline and a bow at CF in one view. I think it had one piece bodice and sleeves instead of a raglan. All you'd need to add for pretty much a duplicate is a collar styled like this one. I'm looking at doing it even without the collar.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Less new knit patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

McCall's 6378 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 1179

photo
by: aleah42

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things Little Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.