SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Help please quick! Juki industrial straight stitch and home embroidery machine? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help please quick! Juki industrial straight stitch and home embroidery machine?
My zig zag tack sew 20U had a defect out of box... Changing my mind
the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

Date: 5/22/14 12:08 PM

This may be a jumbled mess lol!!!
I bought a tac sew industrial zig zag/straight stitch machine as well as a juki industrial serger 7614S, adore the serger but when I went to learn how to use and bring hope the tac sew it was not straight stitching well, it had a slight zig zag to it. The owner took it all apart and couldn't get it right so he said he had to keep it and look at it. (2 days ago) called today and he had to order a part for a defective something or other... They also told me they would throw in a needle up/down function reliable brand servo motor. It didn't come with one so he's still waiting to hear back from his dealer if he can get that for me....
In the meantime I read that zig zag machines don't do wonderful straight stitch and I should go with a straight only..
So my questions... Is it ok to tell him I don't want the machine that came defective (I paid $1100) and that instead I want to get a straight only industrial (JUKI??? And which??) and also get a home machine (already sold my other) that does the zig zag and I am thinking a cheaper brother sew/embroidery so I can do some small embroidery. Does that sound reasonable???? Or should I go with a janome basic machine (he sells industrial and then home brother and janome).....
Any input or ideas would be much appreciated!! I go in to look at them in 1 hr.

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to the8dunlaps <<

Date: 5/22/14 12:39 PM

I have a juki industrial single needle and for the occasional zig zag I do my Janome 1600 works just great. BUT, if I needed to do zig zag for whatever reason as much as I do single needle, then for sure I would do a separate industrial zig zag. When it comes to industrial machines, I tend to like them to only do one thing and do it well. Much in the same way for a factory environment. I also have a juki industrial coverstitch, and a Janome 300E for embroidery projects. I suppose next on my list would be an industrial serger, but again I don't use the serger a ton since most of my garments are fully lined.

So mainly my question would be: how much zig zag do you plan on doing?

As far as the current zig zag machine... that's a hard one. Having it do both is very, very tempting... but I don't know if I would ever trust it again! lol The irony is that the "defective" current straight stitch that is ever so slightly a zig zag is actually an ideal stitch for knit fabrics.

The other tempting thing is the offer of the needle up/down and the servo motor. I'm not too mad at the price though, seems pretty reasonable if he DOES get everything working correctly with a warranty. When you test it, bring fabric you typically will be sewing on and go back and forth several times switching from a straight stitch to a zig zag. If it were mere, I would hole up there for about an hour and sew while you have him handy. You know how it is with a repair job to any type of machinery... it all works great for those few minutes while the engineer is there, but as soon as you get it home and fully use it, ahhhh!

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.FashionHackPatterns.com

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/22/14 12:48 PM

I totally agree the slight zig is good for knits. I sew cloth diapers so the zig zag is for the elastic on the legs so I don't go fast for that part so I think a triple zig zag on a home machine would be fine for that...
Would you be wary of the machine having an issue already and want a new machine or no? Thank you!!! All your input is very helpful!! 😊😊

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

The straight stitch would be for sewing around the diapers. Then topstitching the diapers. 😊

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

Oh and applying the Velcro on Velcro diapers.

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

Date: 5/22/14 12:49 PM

Which juki straight do you have?

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to the8dunlaps <<

Date: 5/22/14 1:06 PM

I currently have the ddl5550... the made in Japan version. I have had several over the years.

My other machine I sold since we were moving long distance and I could really kick myself for doing that. It had the up/down needle button AND the auto lift and auto cutter! I was tired and not thinking straight, surely.

If your guy could throw in the auto cutter at a reasonable price, you probably would love that for all the topstitching you do. But I would be very surprised if you could negotiate that.

Bottom line is you need a machine that does a reliable straight stitch (even after your repeatedly switch back and forth from zig zag). If that can be guaranteed, then great! If not, then you will probably end up using it for the zig zag and gravitate to getting another machine just for the straight stitch.

If he (or you) have doubts, I would love for you to end up with the single needle that has the auto cutter!

My only grip about using the Janome for the zig zag is that it doesn't quite have the firm poundage of pressure on the pressure foot. I like how on the industrial I can tug on the fabric all I want and it just grabs it right in while stitching. On the home machine when zigging though heavier layers, I have to have one hand pinching and pulling the fabric behind the pressure foot while counter balancing with a grip to fabric in front.

------
Catina Ferraine

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

Date: 5/22/14 3:11 PM

I hope I won't add to the confusion. I have an old straight stitch only White sewing machine. It might have been made in the 40's or early 50's. The stitch is straight, BUT, there is an ever so slight slant to it, however, on thicker fabrics or more layers, the straight stitch is really really straight looking. I have several other sewing machines, too. They're all computerized and zigzag capable. The straight stitch on all of them is slightly slanted, except on thicker fabrics or multi layers.

Experiment with your machine using several layers of fabric or using a double layer of a heavier fabric. Your stitches should look straighter. Even with several (2) layers of lightweight fabric, your straight stitch will probably look slightly slanted. This isn't a machine problem. From what I've read, it's just the nature of the beast.

If you put a piece of paper under the foot, and sew without thread, you should find a very straight line of holes made by the needle. If you find holes zigging and zagging, then something IS wrong with your machine.

Don't use black thread to experiment with. No one knows why, but black thread has been problematic.
-- Edited on 5/22/14 3:14 PM --

cherylwashere
star
cherylwashere  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 4/10/04
Send Message

In reply to Catina <<

Date: 5/22/14 3:18 PM

I have the Janome 1600P and mine is a ss only sm. How do you get yours to zz... would love mine to do it too.

------
Bernina 820, Bernina 330, Pfaff Creative 7530, Janome 1600P

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to cherylwashere <<

Date: 5/22/14 4:17 PM

Quote: cherylwashere
I have the Janome 1600P and mine is a ss only sm. How do you get yours to zz... would love mine to do it too.

oh darn... sorry about that, I meant to say my 6600! Yeah, that would be a good trick to get the 1600 to zig zag! lol

1600P is a very fine machine though.

------
Catina Ferraine

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Help please quick! Juki industrial straight stitch and home embroidery machine?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Kwik Sew 3142

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 1258

photo
by: tigergirl

Review
A-Door-Ables

A-Door-Ables

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Quincy Top and Pants

Sewing Workshop Quincy Top and Pants

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.