SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Viking Users, Advice Please! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Viking Users, Advice Please!
What do you think of the Husqvarna H class 100Q?
SHGigglin
SHGigglin
Beginner
UT USA
Member since 5/21/14
Send Message

Date: 5/23/14 1:43 AM

Hello machine advice givers!
I am narrowing down my search for a beginner-friendly machine in the $300 range. I recently stumbled across the Husqvarna H class 100Q (http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/H-CLASS-100Q) and was impressed with the overwhelmingly positive reviews and wealth of features it provides for being a lower-end/begginer machine. The other machines I am considering are the Pfaff Hobby 1122 or 1132 or the Babylock Molly. I do mostly craft and a little apparel sewing and would like to eventually do some basic quilting. Any advice on these machines, specifically the Husqvarna?
-- Edited on 5/23/14 1:44 AM --

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Date: 5/23/14 9:11 AM

I would love this machine as a travel machine. I used this all day making pillowcases at a charity quilt along. What was impressive was that out of a large room full of these machines not one caused anyone any trouble. The straight stitch was nice and even. That said, pillowcases have no thick seams and are not heavy either. These machines are light and small too, maybe 3/4 size and I don't believe that sewing purses and fabric postcards (you said crafts so I am guessing) would be satisfactory long term. The gal sewing next to me bought one to put in her suitcase on an extended trip to China to visit her son. Just go and try the machines with what you use and pick one.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/23/14 9:53 AM

I've never used or seen a pfaff Hobby, by have tried the Viking 100Q and loved it. This was when I only had the Viking Emerald and my friend had the H Class. I thought that it looked and sounded so smooth and I loved the decorative stitches. There aren't "100s" but there are a few beautiful ones that I think would be perfect.

I do not know if the machine would go through a thick canvas denim seam, so that might be something to ask/try. I sew lots of bags with thick handle seams, and it sounds like you might too. I'd bring some "thick" stuff to sew when you try it out. Have fun, its such a cute machine.

SHGigglin
SHGigglin
Beginner
UT USA
Member since 5/21/14
Send Message

Date: 5/23/14 3:18 PM

I'll be honest, the size, weight and "cuteness" of the machine are what have me concerned...light weight is not something many people tout in their machines, but I do have to put it in the closet whenever I'm not using it. I will go try it out, but I did find this video (http://www.createandcraft.tv/Husqvarna_Viking_100Q_Sewing_Machine_288065.aspx?fh_location=//createandcraft/en_gb/categories@lt;%7B8533%7D/brand_cc@gt;%7Bhusqvarna20viking%7D) that made it look pretty impressive. The first project I will be doing with it are cloth diapers using cotton, PUL and suede cloth so I think I will take these along with me when trying it out. I just want to make sure I get a tough machine that can handle quite a bit and will last for 10 or more years!

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 5/23/14 5:44 PM

I have hemmed jeans and other heavy things on my Janome AQS 2009 and its lighter than this Viking you're considering. A lot of sewing heavy stuff has to do with your technique. If my Janome did it I'm sure this could too. I use a jean-a-majig or hump jumper (viking has a multi purpose tool for this) for seam intersections. Its fine. I saw a YouTube tutorial for the babylock Grace where they made this thick hanging organizer thing. It seemed to work fine. Use the right tools, needle size and thread and you should be able to do what you want on virtually any functional machine.

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 8/25/09
Send Message

Date: 5/23/14 11:34 PM

One thing that would concern me about this model is that it doesn't appear to have a blanket stitch... I don't know if the others you were considering do or not (they were all mechanical I think, this is the only electronic one), but if you do any applique at all, that's a nice thing to have... I like it much better than a zig zag... but if that's a non issue for you, then ignore this whole response! I think that having the needle up down, and sliding speed control are nice advantages over a mechanical machine...

(I have to say this just because, even though it's not on your list... have you checked reviews of the Brother PC 420? I've had mine for 5 years and it's never given me a lick of trouble... it's affordable, has a ton of features, comes with lots of feet, and has a metal frame... it really is worth at least checking out...)

------
Vintage metal Brother straight stitcher (Gretta)
Brother PC-420 (Benny)
Bernina Artista 200 (Miss Priss)

SHGigglin
SHGigglin
Beginner
UT USA
Member since 5/21/14
Send Message

In reply to Aleroluver <<

Date: 5/23/14 11:56 PM

How much was your Brother PC 420? I don't know where to buy Brother's other than Joann's or Walmart, and I am not making that mistake again! The blanket stitch doesn't really matter to me, though the Babylock dealer thought it was a huge deal. I am a little concerned about getting an electronic machine, just because I've only used mechanical, but if it is relatively user friendly it shouldn't matter.

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 8/25/09
Send Message

Date: 5/24/14 0:24 AM

Amazon, and it's like 360 something now... I paid 500! Just type it in the search box on Amazon and check out the overwhelming amount of 5 star reviews... even if you decide it isn't for you, it is worth checking out... the ones in Wal-Mart don't have a metal frame... this is a different caliber machine.... my Joans only has Viking and Singer.... but if you go to YouTube and type Brother PC 420, the videos will give you a good idea of the features.... people judge Brothers unfairly because some of them are sold at Wal-Mart... this machine isn't like those and even if you don't like it, Amazon has a great return policy.... this is my go to machine and the one I rely on when my Bernina is making me invent swear words... I've sewn through card stock on this machine and it didn't flinch... my Bernina threw a hissy fit when I tried it with her...

Remember that Babylocks and Brothers come from the same factory.... except for a few Babylocks that are made by Janome.... I just wish everyone could find a machine they love as much as I do my PC 420, no matter what it is!

If you can operate a cell phone, you can operate an electronic machine!
-- Edited on 5/24/14 0:32 AM --
-- Edited on 5/24/14 0:35 AM --

------
Brother PC-420 (Benny)

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 5/24/14 1:13 PM

The viking 100q has a blanket stitch

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 8/25/09
Send Message

Date: 5/24/14 1:57 PM

I don't see one here, so, are you saying that the machine has more stitches than this? Or am I missing it? I know it isn't an issue for the original poster, but now I'm curious...

-- Edited on 5/24/14 2:01 PM --

------
Brother PC-420 (Benny)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Viking Users, Advice Please!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Simplicity a2083

photo
by: kathieh9

Review
Vogue Patterns 8834

photo
by: marthamyer...

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Buy Now
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.